The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many skills on a new template
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How many skills on a new template Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: How many skills on a new template Reply with quote

Is there a rule for the number of skills a template may have? Has this ever been written about?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since there is a limited number of skill dice (7D) you can put into skills that sorta infers 7. If your GM allows you break D in pips, that gives you 21. Something people forget is that if you do not have skill, unlike other games, this does not mean your character cannot use them. In fact all skills default to the parent attribute at no penalty.

Example: You have a Slicer with Dexterity 3D and no skill in Blasters. He would roll 3D by default.

Also keep in mind, when it comes to templates, the choice of skills reflects the broadest spectrum or skills that this archetype would reasonably have access or training in.

Hope that helps.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in any book. I could have sworn we had multiple threads on this in the past, generally in the character or GM section, but doing a search for "Template+Skills", this was the only thread i could find asking a similar question to you.

Just taking a look at the established templates in the R&E rule book we get the following break down.
Alien student of the force, 4 in dex, 5 in know, 2 in mech, 6 in per, 4 in str and 2 in tech for a total of 23 skills.
The arrogant noble on the other hand has 4D/5K/2M/6P/3S and 5T for 25 skills.
The Bounty hunter gets 6D/5K/6M/7P/5S/5T = 34 skills.
The Brash pilot has 5D/6K/7M/6P/3S/4T =31 skills.
The Ewok warrior has 6D/3K/2M/5P/3S and 3T= 22 skills.
The failed jedi gets 4D/6K/5M/6P/4S/4T = skills.
The Gambler gets 5D/6K/4M/5P/3S/4T = skills.
The Kid has 6D/3K/3M/5P/3S/4T = 24 skills.
The Minor Jedi has 6D/5K/5M/5P/3S/4T = 28 skills.
The Mon cal (guess its a ship operator) has 7D/8K/6M/7P/5S/8T= 41 skills.
The Outlaw has 7D/6K/6M/5P/4S/4T = 32 skills.
The Pirate gets 6D/5K/6M/5P/2S/5T = 29 skills.
The Protocol droid has 4D/5K/5M/4P/1S/4T = 23 skills.
The Quixotic jedi gets 5D/2K/1M/4P/4S/2T = 18 skills.
The Revwien Tyia adept gets 5D/4K/4M/5P/2S/3T = 23 skills.
The Rookie new republic pilot has 5D/4K/6M/5P/3S/4T = 27 skills.
The Smuggler gets 5D/5K/5M/6P/3S/5T = 29 skills.
The Wookie first mate gets 6D/5K/4M/4P/4S/5T = 28 skills.
The Young jedi has 6D/5K/5M/7P/4S/5T = 32 skills.
And lastly the Young senatorial has 5D/6K/4M/5P/4S/2T = 26 skills.

So we are all over the place, with 18 skills on the Quixotic jedi, all the way up to 41 on the Mon cal (who has more M and T skills than even pilots and smugglers which you would think would have a lot of those, and has more dex skills than the Combatty templates get minus the outlaw)..
So its all over the place, with 25 or so as a good average.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even the splitting of dice into pips can't necessarily be done with all seven skills. This could be interpreted fairly restrictively, as in that only one (of the seven) initial skills could be split into pips. Of course it's really up to the interpretation of an individual GM and what they feel comfortable with.

I love how most characters can do most skills, as there are many games where PCs are handicapped and not able to do a huge list. The only ones in SW D6 that anyone can't try are the Advanced skills.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
And even the splitting of dice into pips can't necessarily be done with all seven skills. This could be interpreted fairly restrictively, as in that only one (of the seven) initial skills could be split into pips. Of course it's really up to the interpretation of an individual GM and what they feel comfortable with.

I love how most characters can do most skills, as there are many games where PCs are handicapped and not able to do a huge list. The only ones in SW D6 that anyone can't try are the Advanced skills.

This is actually one of my beefs with D6 because depending on the campaign, character sheets start to look like carbon copies of each other. Whereas if there was a variety of ways with which the rules could express being a skilled shooter, different characters could still feel different from each other mechanically.

For example, one character might be a skilled pistol fighter, like Doc Holiday or Jack Bauer or James Bond vs a skilled long range shooter like Quigley or Bob Lee Swagger vs. a skilled skirmisher such as the team from The Unit or Tears of the Sun. With RAW, it comes down to blaster and dodge.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere in any book does It state that a character can only select skills on their template. They are ONLY suggestions for someone with that background.

Some species do have limitations on skill choices however
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
Nowhere in any book does It state that a character can only select skills on their template. They are ONLY suggestions for someone with that background.

Yeah aegisflashfire people are not listening to what is being said. I already posted at the beginning the thread:

shootingwomprats wrote:
Also keep in mind, when it comes to templates, the choice of skills reflects the broadest spectrum of skills that this archetype would reasonably have access or training in.

A character who does not have a skill, with the exception of (A)dvanced or skills the GM decides would require training, defaults to the governing attribute. There is no additional penalty modifier or increased difficulty level for using a skill that a character has not placed D into.

Again, the skills listed on a template are nothing more than suggestions and represent the broadest list of skills for that archetype. Get it out of your head, "if the skill is not listed on the template that you cannot do it." Futhermore, your character can have skills that are not listed on the template.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A character who does not have a skill, with the exception of (A)dvanced or skills the GM decides would require training, defaults to the governing attribute. There is no additional penalty modifier or increased difficulty level for using a skill that a character has not placed D into.

Which for some skills is something i have argued in other threads does need to get addressed. But that is a different thread.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time, the GM drowned my character in the first session simply because I had not written "swimming" on the character sheet (regardless of the fact that I had/had not raised the skill).
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
One time, the GM drowned my character in the first session simply because I had not written "swimming" on the character sheet (regardless of the fact that I had/had not raised the skill).

Then your GM was a d1ck and had not read the rules. Per RAW you should have been able to use Swimming at the default of Strength for your dice pool roll.

R&E p.74, "Characters roll their skill dice (or their attribute dice if they haven't improved the skill) whenever they do something important and there's a risk of failure."
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know. I even cited the rules. But I think it was more for comedy's sake. After writing up my next character, the GM took my character sheet and added "Swimming 10D" to it and said: "there, now you can out swim a shark!"
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not my style of game, but some would enjoy it I guess =)
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread i was on about is in the Official rules section (though maybe it should have been here or in the game master section). "Skill use without the skill".
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first GM had a rule that skills written on your sheet were skills you had practiced while skills not written on your sheet are rolled at -1D until the end of the adventure. At the end of the adventure you could write on any skill you used at no cp cost.

He was upfront about it before the game started and told us it was a house rule to simulate someone trying to do something for the very first time. If you've never swum before you simply can't be expected to be at a professional level of swimming (4D) just because you have 4D strength.

An example I see all the time is in regards to guns. I teach people to shoot and people who have never shot before invariably think you can just pick up any gun and fire it. They don't know about safeties, they don't know how to make sure the gun is loaded, they don't know to rack a semi-automatic weapon, they don't know how to load a magazine, they don't know what sights are or how to use them. All of these aspects of firing a gun need to be learned, either by experimentation or from a teacher.

The rule of thumb we used for character creation is that you can write on two skills per attribute die in that attribute. For example:

You have 2D STR. You can choose four skills in STR, and you take Brawling, Climb/jump, Swimming and Stamina.

You have 4D in Mechanical, you can choose 8 skills.

If you have a pip or two in an attribute and really wanted one additional skill that was at the GM's discretion.

It was a house rule and it worked for us.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I think I like it....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: