The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tablets and Smartphone question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Tablets and Smartphone question. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a smartphone or tablet you would use when playing Star Wars?
Yes I have an Android based device (tablet and/or smartphone)
47%
 47%  [ 23 ]
Yes I have an iOS based device (iPhone and/or iPad)
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
No, I have one but dont want to use it when playing.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No, I dont have one.
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 48

erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Tablets and Smartphone question. Reply with quote

I was woundering if anyone has a smartphone or tablet of some kind that they eather use or would like to use when playing.

If you do have one but dont use it because there is no app for Star Wars d6 but you would use it if there was then I would prefer if you select one of the yes answers.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the smartphone, but not a tablet.

I am very much interested in SWd6 apps. What sort of things do you have in mind?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has an iPhone.

Complete Starship Construction System
darkwing2k6
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am considering a tablet of some kind to reduce the need for a stack of sourcebooks. ideally something that reads and displays pdf's well. that way you can scan/source all of your books and have them all bookmarked for the relevant information, quick and easy. also has the benefit of being able to store all of your session requirements easily too- maps, plot, images etc etc.

Although i am considering a tablet i am toying with getting a laptop too.

As far as app's go maybe a fancy d6 dice roller that includes a "wild" die. i have tried several android apps but havent found one that i like yet. the problem then becomes how good is the random number generator that powers it. An online game that i currently play has had a RNG topic for a very long time Smile
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Blackberry Torch and am getting a Blackberry Playbook. They aren't in your list.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BSDOblivion
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: droid Reply with quote

the crew at the D6 Holocron have been working on a few options like the nav computer and dice roller to function on the droid, but we have nothing yet to show. only a little for use thru the browser on the device so far. i hope to have an actuall droid app soon at some time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of laptop gaming, and I'm happy with how that is working out. I can't say it wouldn't be nice to use the tablet to read the PDF, and Word documents I generate, plus having the music more easily accessible without taking up all the space would also be a plus.

My wife just bought a tablet, though I'm hesitant to broach the subject as I would have to dump almost a Gig of information to make it really worth while. Also, it might take me a bit of time to get used to the OS and software before I'd think it would be any faster than using the laptop. Where I'm at right now it would certainly trade off space for speed.

If you were to do a dice roller app, I'm pretty sure we'd grab it. Here's one that I've loved, as it has wonderful functionality for a D6 game:

http://www.4shared.com/file/Ev1ytfpk/Parker_roller_graphical.html

Something based on that would certainly have my attention.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write my game in Word and run from printed pages with hard cover books and real dice BUT... I do use an ereader (and iphone) with pdfs, particularly the fanbook compilations and I also have my iphone open to my campaign on Obsidian Portal (essentially a wiki based campaign management site) http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have been gaming on Skype lately everyone has a laptop or computer. My wife took notes on her laptop for the Call of Cthulhu game I run and I have a lot of Star Wars resources on my laptop for when I GM or play e.g. those wonderful PDFs from Gry Sarth. Usually the music runs separately on a CD player.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because it would surpass some of the technology in the OT, which seems wrong! Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first android smartphone tonight, a Verizon LG Revolution 4G LTE (and first data plan). Was the poll closed? I haven't voted yet, but I don't see the option to vote in the poll. I would love to eventually use my new phone somehow for playing Star Wars but don't have a clue how I would do that yet.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me how to use this thing in general? My QWERTY phone I just got rid of was used for calling and texting - that's it. I've just taken my first step into a much larger world Confused
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Whill, I'm a phone tech for Telstra, Australias largest telco. Most of my job is teaching people how to use phones. PM me, I use YIM, Google chat or BBM.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth wrote:
Hey Whill, I'm a phone tech for Telstra, Australias largest telco. Most of my job is teaching people how to use phones.

Nice! I fiddled around with it some today and figured some stuff out, but I know who to ask for questions. Thank you sir!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually seem to do most of my posting these days via my smart phone. I don't ever have the chance to really do metagaming on here, and unfortunately don't usually have the chance to do any sit-down roleplaying, even via Skype or other means. I do miss the pace of such settings, as it's quite satisfying to start a campaign and get to see the fruits of our labor the same day (or the next, depending on session length), rather than it taking weeks or months.
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iPad I use for pretty much all of my gaming. I've got a bunch of Guardian's and cheshire's PDFs loaded onto it as well as my own game notes and images from Wookiepedia I can show the group. I use the GoodReader app which does everything you describe (annotations, bookmarks, etc). I've also got a dice roller app I use sometimes but it doesn't support the Wild Die so I only really use it for NPCs.

The iPad has been useful for every game I've played with it so far. For a lot of games I have full PDF copies of the rulebooks and supplements as well as internet access so I can hop on Google images and find a picture of a monster/location or something if I need one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: