The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Droids Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Droids Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not but, I know some people that belive droids should not be allowed as pc's. That droids are just machines or tools to be used. I'm woundering if any one on this forum has this belief and if so....what is the pourpose of the restraining bolt? If a droid is not "alive" should it not just do what it is told to do with out question? To me the restraining bolt suggests that droids have free will. Any thoughts?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think droids make great PCs because they're not alive and aren't accorded rights. They do have free will, or at least a good programmer's reproduction, but they have no rights, they're programmed to be willing servants or slaves. That makes them truly interesting characters.

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason why someone shouldn't be able to play a droid. In fact, I played one for a campaign. Like Artoo and Threepio, my character addressed another PC a "master," and did what he was ordered to do. Of course we all had fun with this, particularly when I would follow the exact letter of the order, though not necessarily the spirit or the intent of the order.

With the way I played the character, I as a player expected the restraining bolt. Sometimes when my character had been glitchy it was necessary to be heavy handed. At the same time, they had a hard time knowing when it was necessary to reign the droid in and when not to. Yes, he thought outside the box, so to speak, but that saved their lives a few times. They never knew if me going "off mission" would save their butts, or land them in hot water.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not thought of it that way. Follow orders literally but not to the intent..... hhmmmmm
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW describes droid PCs. Perfectly legimate and useful PCs. Just add 6d6 to their base attributes and 7d6 skills just like any other character. In fact there is the potential for droid PCs to have extreme beginning abilities focused in specific areas.

It just mentions that most players who play droids tend to do so as multiple characters so GMs need to be explicit about Player expectations that if the droid will become a henchman (like R2 is for Luke say) it is better they remain at non-heroic templates since they won't be the focus of Player ambitions and gameplay, they're henchmen along for the ride.

RAW suggests GMs to have Players who wish to make droid characters first include them as a henchman, prove they are going to play them as a PC and after that point let them add heroic +6d6 attributes and PC FP, CP etc.

The way this is explained through gameplay is that you buy a standard Astromech for example. Then at some point down the line it develops "quirks" that droids not regularly memory-wiped are infamous for.
At that point you rewrite it as a PC with all the features.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a player wants to run a droid in my games, they are welcome to it.

I've had a couple of them over the years. They have always been a refreshing addition to any gaming group. After all, there is a lot you can do with a droid that you cant do with a traditional character. Droids dont have rights, dismemberment dosnt nedessarily mean death, secret storage departments with hidden data (That even the droid's player dosnt know about.) can act as a great plot hook.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In combat terms the Sith traditionally liked using combat droids against Jedi because they're not subject to most Force powers which can leave an army of sentient lifeforms confused and useless in battle.
They make great bodyguards and adjutants for the same reasons.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the RAW Droid character creation rules?

Are there optional variants?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to look for Droid related rules & information would be Fantastic Technology: Droids. The book includes everything you will need to run a droid pc, create new templates, and upgrade your droids.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
The best place to look for Droid related rules & information would be Fantastic Technology: Droids. The book includes everything you will need to run a droid pc, create new templates, and upgrade your droids.

Is that Synabars or are there several droid books?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids. Between that book and the Droids Stats pdf, you will have everything you need to run any kind of droid you can immagine.

Droids Stats pdf can be found here (123 Pages of nothing but droids!): http://krapz.free.fr/data/Droids_Stats.pdf

Hope that helps!
Admiral Tolval
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a live action game before in which one of the players was an engineer but had some kind of insanity and walked around wearing protocol droid coverings and acted as a droid. The character (and player) was really skinny so I had other players make Perception rolls to notice that this droid wasn't right. None of the other players knew it. They thought he was playing a droid. One player thought he was playing an assassin droid because he placed a restraining bolt on the other player and a few minutes later the "droid" handed it back to him. Shocked
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancil wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not but, I know some people that belive droids should not be allowed as pc's. That droids are just machines or tools to be used. I'm woundering if any one on this forum has this belief and if so....what is the pourpose of the restraining bolt? If a droid is not "alive" should it not just do what it is told to do with out question? To me the restraining bolt suggests that droids have free will. Any thoughts?

As others have mentioned, droids are advanced AI (some more advanced than others), not simple machines. They are thinking machines, capable of learning, adapting and interacting with their environment... but they are not beings and have no rights. Like Fallon and cheshire, I enjoy the "no rights" aspect of droid character play, along with the occasional misunderstanding of literal commentary vs. intent; these can be great character hooks.

An aspect of playing a droid versus playing an organic that I find most players and GMs don't quite understand is the complete opposite forms of capabilities. Droids are specific purpose designed, while organics are more generalized... this is shown through the change in emphasis from having well rounded Attributes and a few good skills to having generally poor Attributes and a couple really good skills; droids aren't designed to do everything, they're designed for a purpose, anything not related to that purpose is going to be weak. People looking to better balance a droid's attributes don't really get the concept of playing a droid, imo.

vanir wrote:
RAW describes droid PCs. Perfectly legimate and useful PCs. Just add 6d6 to their base attributes and 7d6 skills just like any other character. In fact there is the potential for droid PCs to have extreme beginning abilities focused in specific areas.

No, they don't. They get 25d to start, split between their attributes and skills, like the normal total for organics (12D+6D Attributes + 7D Skills = 25D). They don't get +6D Attributes and +7D skills, they get a total of 25D for both combined.

You add up the Attribute, Skill and bonus ability die available on the base model, and if they total <=25D, it's playable as a PC. If they total more, it's too powerful. If it totals less, you get to add the difference as skills and abilities to bring the total up to 25D.

ZzaphodD wrote:
Whats the RAW Droid character creation rules?

Are there optional variants?

The rules for droid character creation are in Cynabar's, as mentioned, but they're also in the R&E core book, p.236 (2e had the rules wrong and they were changed).

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

You add up the Attribute, Skill and bonus ability die available on the base model, and if they total <=25D, it's playable as a PC. If they total more, it's too powerful.
Not necessarily too powerful. Some alien species have more than 18D attributes and 7D skills, and the 2E rulebook specifically addresses offsetting higher stats with situational disadvantages. The lack of rights and general distrust that droids face could be reasonable counterbalances to higher stats.

Complete Starship Construction System
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

You add up the Attribute, Skill and bonus ability die available on the base model, and if they total <=25D, it's playable as a PC. If they total more, it's too powerful.
Not necessarily too powerful. Some alien species have more than 18D attributes and 7D skills, and the 2E rulebook specifically addresses offsetting higher stats with situational disadvantages. The lack of rights and general distrust that droids face could be reasonable counterbalances to higher stats.

True enough, but I'm referencing RAW without special caveats... Just like you can play a more powerful alien with GM approval, so can you play a more powerful droid, yes Razz The RAW guideline is 25D, like most organics without needing any special ruling.

With that in mind, RAW suggests more severe limitations for powerful droids than the same limitations that ALL droids face, such as being expensive, prone to breakdown, illegal on most systems, etc. Having the same basic drawbacks as all other droids isn't really a countermeasure to having more power than most.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: