The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Snipers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Snipers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Snipers Reply with quote

What do you think about them?

How high should their blaster, firearms, missile weapons, or whatever skills be?

Are snipers different than assassins and if so, how?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Snipers Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
What do you think about them?

I actually thought about making a new SpecForce branch called Stalkers that were modeled on USMC Scout/Snipers, arguably the best snipers in the world. Never got around to actually statting them, but the idea is still there.

Quote:
How high should their blaster, firearms, missile weapons, or whatever skills be?

I like Garhkal's basic idea of sniping as an advanced skill with Blaster/Firearms 5D as a prerequisite.

Quote:

I would say that a sniper can be an assassin, and an assassin can be a sniper, but neither is necessarily a prerequisite of the other. I think its more a case of skill overlap than anything else, but IMO, any attempt to differentiate the two will devolve into a battle of opinions and semantics.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd venture to say that the shooting part of sniping is not the most important. Skills like Sneak, Search, Stamina and Investigation would be more important to have at high levels.

Of course when I think of sniper I'm thinking scout sniper, too.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipers need badass sniping weapons....
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3080&highlight=sniping

Model: Blastech S-Web Mk. II Heavy Sniper Rifle
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster: Blaster Rifle
Ammo: 6
Cost: 9000 Cr
Availability: 3, X
Range: 3-100/300/900
Damage: 8D
RoF: 1/2
Game Note: Scope adds +2D to hit if one round of aiming. Custom made 'blaster packs' cost 500 Cr. Because of weight and bulk, this weapon must be fired using a bipod.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'stole' the assassin ideas from 40K, being an avid fan of that universe. I was going to rename them but havent got around to finding another name yet. They are basically the elite of the Storm Commandos that recieved additional training to fit their role as sniper assassins.

Vindicare Assassin
Code:

Dex 3D+2                   Per 3D+2
Blaster 6D                   Con 5D+2
Dodge: 6D+1   Willpower: 5D+2
Melee Combat 6D   Search 7D+1
Grenade 6D   Hide/Sneak 8D
Proj. Wpns/Snipers 8D   
Running 6D   

Kno 2D+2                   Str 3D+1
Survival 7D+1   Lifting 5D
Languages 4D   Stamina 6D
Alien Species 4D   Climb/Jump 5D
Law Enfocement: 4D   Brawling 6D

Mech 2D                   Tech 2D+2      
Repulsorlift Op 5D+1   Comp prog/rep 4D+2
                   Armour Rep 5D
                   Blaster Rep 4D
                   Demolition 5D+1
                   First Aid 5D
                   Security 5D+2

Exitus Rifle: Imperial Munitions XTR-13 Exitus Rifle. Damage 6D, Range: Acc. to ammo type. Ammo: 10. Scope FC:+2D if one round of aim. RoF: 1.
Ammo Types: APFS: -1D Armour. Range: 3-100/500/1 km.
HE: Rules coming soon Range: 3-50/250/500. Mainly for hardware targets.
Hellfire: -1D damage. If damage inflicted, victim suffers 4D damage for 1D rounds (no amour). Range-. 3-50/250/500

Exitus Pistol: Imperial Munitions XTR-9 Heavy Blaster: Damage 6D, Range: 3-7/25/50
Ghost Pistol: Imperial Munitions XTR-7 Silenced Pistol. Damage 3D+2, 3-10/30/120. AP rounds: -2 pips Armour.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at my rebel sniper template
Rebel sniper
Dex 3D+2, skills, Blaster, Brawl parry, Dodge, Grenade, Firearms, Melee, Melee parry
Know 3D, skills: Alien species, Anatomy, Language, Streetwise, Survival
Mech 2D+1, skills: Communications, Hover vehicle ops, Repulsor ops, Starship gunnery
Per 3D+1, skills: Bargain OR Con, Camouflage, Hide, Command, Search, Sneak
Str 3D+1, skills: Brawl, Climb/jump, Lift, Stamina, Swim
Tech 2D+1, skills: Blaster repair OR Computer prog/rep, Demolitions, First aid, Firearm repair.

Starting Equipment and bonuses/penalties: Gets 2 free specialties. One in firearms. Of the type of rifle he uses, The other for firearm repair. Cannot be (or purchase later) force sensitive. Starts with one free rifle of type he specializes in of either increased range (+50%), or Increased damage (+1D), 50 bullets, a 50X45 scope (with infrared capability or low-light capability, silencer and bipod. 2 blaster pistols, 4 power packs, belt, 1 cammo suit, 3 regular uniforms, and 2000 credits std.

REBEL SNIPER
You came from a family who cherished the old ways, using land for all it was worth, not just raping it of 1 or 2 minerals then leaving it be. When you reached the tender age of 12, your uncle/father, had you join in their hunting excursions. It was here that you learnt to appreciate the hard work and lessons, mom taught. Tracking beasts over forests, deserts, and plains, you became an accomplished tracker, and scout. You loved the hunting, and the thrill of the kill. When you became an adult, you joined full time, the family business. Then the empire hit. They outlawed your families business. When your parents went to protest, they were slaughtered, without any mercy. You ran, taking only your hunting equipment, and your trusty rifle with you. when you stopped running, long enough to clear your head, you decided joining the rebellion would be the best way to get back. Since, you have not looked back.
You are taciturn, and closed off, a lot. You try your best to just get the job done, and not converse, if you can.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. But why the Blaster repair OR Computer prog/repair? I'm sure there are some scopes that require a Computer prog/repair check.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually spotters (beginning snipers) have one or the other skill (similar to con or bargain) for being an assistant..
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. So you're either a spotter or sniper? I thought both could do either.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

That was what I thought, too, that both team members would run shifts, switching off on sniper and spotter duty, and whoever was on duty when the time came was the one who took the shot.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Most SWAT Snipers work in teams of three - 2 Snipers and one spotter - not sure if they rotate though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From working in the mil a long time, i have had times i was able to converse with snipers.. Most of the Junior ones, pull duty only as spotter for a few missions.. then on 'easy ops' they can be allowed to try their hand while the main sniper takes the roll of spotter. As they get good, they then take a 'spotter under their wings'...
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Snipers Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Bren wrote:

I like Garhkal's basic idea of sniping as an advanced skill with Blaster/Firearms 5D as a prerequisite.

My thinking is pretty much the same. I'd call the skill marksmanship, since sniping is a tactic, while marksmanship is the skill.
crmcneill wrote:

Quote:

I would say that a sniper can be an assassin, and an assassin can be a sniper, but neither is necessarily a prerequisite of the other. I think its more a case of skill overlap than anything else, but IMO, any attempt to differentiate the two will devolve into a battle of opinions and semantics.

Mhmm. As I said above sniping is a tactic. Assassin is a job. The two are often well suited to one another.

ZzaphodD, I like that rifle! Thanks for posting.

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Snipers Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
ZzaphodD, I like that rifle! Thanks for posting.

In an earlier campaign with very advanced PCs I onced used it as an 'equalizer' to remind the PCs of their mortality.

The PCs were on a landing pad on a Nar Shadda starport tower with a squad of Storm Commandos covering the exit (ie they were more or less stuck in the open with only a few boxes of equipment as cover). On two adjacent (ie 200 m away) towers I had two storm commando snipers with these rifles... I think it was then that I got the label 'cruel GM'. Laughing
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Most SWAT Snipers work in teams of three - 2 Snipers and one spotter - not sure if they rotate though

SWAT sniping, or "sharpshooting" is an entirely different ball game that uses a very similar type of weapon. The way I wrote it for my house rules was as two distinct advanced skills. One for sniping, the other for sharp shooting. Inside 300 meters, a SWAT sniper will out shoot an infantry sniper all day long (assuming each guy has achieved the minimum level of qualification for his job). SWAT sniper shots are generally considered much more difficult because there is zero room for error on the part of the shooter. The first (and only) shot fired MUST necessarily kill the target instantaneously without the risk of any kind of pain or shock reflex before death. SWAT snipers are usually shooting into an urban or suburban environment where innocent bystanders are NOT acceptable as collateral damage. Whereas a sniper is shooting at a military target and anyone standing around is the enemy anyway. A SWAT sniper rifle has more rigid standards for accuracy than an infantry sniper rifle does, and would be better suited for both duties presuming that the SWAT rifle could be kept perfectly clean and free from abuse or too rugged of treatment (Mil spec stuff is generally capable of functioning even if its a little dirty or gets dropped or wet or banged or whatever; this additional ruggedness usually comes at the cost of precision... the AK47 is an extreme example of this).

SWAT snipers also have a much more limited amount of time to hit their targets, and are not afforded the "luxury" of being able to wait for days at a time for just the right opportunity. The ability to hit a running target AT ALL requires a high level of skill with a gun. But to get a killing shot every single time requires tremendous discipline and constant training.

The reason to use two shooters and a spotter is so that if the target runs, and one shooter looses line of sight, the other shooter (who is purposely placed with a view from another angle) can pick him up and take the shot. A military sniper can just wait till his target comes back if he "loses" him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: