The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"German" Star Wars name..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> "German" Star Wars name..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: "German" Star Wars name.. Reply with quote

Im thinking of using a 'red baron'-ish character as an NPC. I know one such character exists, and perhaps Ill use his modified background. I dont remember the name now, but I know I didnt like it. Im trying to come up with a SW-ish name for von Richthofen (or at least pseudo german-ish sounding).

To begin with. Are noble titles the same in the SW universe (mainstream human/imperial), or are they mentioned at all?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is Baron Soontir Fel from the Rogue Squadron comics. I usually think of him as a Red Baron analog. And we have Count Dooku so it appears that Baron and Count are available noble titles.

Coincidentally about 2 weeks ago I created a character kind of like what you are envisioning. He is TIE Interceptor Squadron Captain Erich Dammers. The character is loosely based on WWII German Ace Erich Hartmann. And I plan to use some of his personal background and flying outlook and style. He should make an interesting opponent, in part, because he shares similarities to some of the PC pilots. I just need to figure out how to photo shop Hartmann's photo so the Luftwaffe uniform looks like an Imperial uniform.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be too hard....
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noble titles? Princess Leia, Queen Amidala...

Yes, you may use noble titles.
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried this yet?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice site..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Soontir I was thinking of, but wanted to come up with a sort of SW-German name... Im flat out of ideas though..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
It was Soontir I was thinking of, but wanted to come up with a sort of SW-German name... Im flat out of ideas though..
I just went to a web site with a list of WWII German Aces to get ideas. Lots of names there to mix and match and pick and choose from and you can always do the variant spelling thing so it perhaps sounds German when spoken but spells out less so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_aces_from_Germany
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
you can always do the variant spelling thing so it perhaps sounds German when spoken but spells out less so.

This was what I was thinking about...

Thanks for the link, is there a similar for WWI?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
you can always do the variant spelling thing so it perhaps sounds German when spoken but spells out less so.

Just clear your throat a few times and throw some random vowels in between...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Thanks for the link, is there a similar for WWI?
You are welcome Z! Very Happy

Sort of try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_I_flying_aces then either click on the link by number of victories (which mixes all countries) or go to the link below that for the Blue Max - which should be more or less German Empire only.

I used WWII names because there are so many more of them than WWI aces and oddly they seem to me to be less well known than the famous WWI aces. On the other hand, Germany being an Empire during the Great War may mean you will get titles and such along with the names.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Earl Hans-Miles Joachim" is an anagram of Marsielle's name, the Star of Africa, regarded among the Luftwaffe as the greatest of all the German aces (Hartmann had the highest tally but Marsielle was more precise and skilled as a flier, but died prematurely when his new model 109G messerschmitt had an engine failure, it was before its teething problems were sorted out).

One of the little war records that made Marsielle a legend was his ground crew armourers report for 5th June 1942. Marsielle had just landed from a forty minute sorty in which he downed 6x 5th Sqn. SAAF Kittyhawks confirmed. The report states that only ten 20mm cannon shells and 180 7.92mm machine gun rounds had been used from the magazines.

considering the machine guns fire at just over 1000rpm-cyclic (more like 1200rpm without synchronisation), and the cannon fires at 680rpm, that roughly means he pressed the trigger for no more than a split second for each kill and didn't miss with any. As if playing a game.

That about closes the book on the best fighter pilot in history imho.
Wink
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about keeping it simple? ...Baron Rote. (Roh-teh)

Rote is red in German, but most folks won't know that. Offer void in Germany

His quote can be: "Fly your assigned space, find the enemy, shoot him down. Everything else is rubbish." This is an actual quote from the Red Baron, though most folks won't know that either.

To capture the feel of your Imperial hero, have all of the Rebel pilots in awe of him - both for his skills and class. IRL, the allies all loved this guy. The fact that he was the enemy was meaningless. There is no greater praise than the praise of your enemy, and the Red Baron had it! He was a GREAT man; a true noble hero who fought with chivilry and honour. The Empire can produce a hero...once in awhile. It will confuse the players.

When the Red Baron was finally killed (by rifle fire from the ground) the allies credited one of their pilots with the kill and made him a hero in their propoganda. This pilot later said he didn't think he'd shot the Red Baron down, but the allied military wouldn't hear it. How would one of your rebel pilots feel when they gave him a medal and honour he didn't really earn? How would this rebel pilot deal with this lie when it's repeated game after game after game...free drinks, parades, interviews...shut up and take your medal, boy. The war does not go well. The Rebellion needs a hero right now. Do it for the good of the Rebellion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: