The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force power modification (proximity and relationship)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force power modification (proximity and relationship)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Force power modification (proximity and relationship) Reply with quote

Hi,

i'm a little confused about the rules for modification of Force powers by proximity and relationship... mailny relationship ^^

The main reason for my confusion is the whole text of "Life Detection" and the example:

Ana rolls a 22 on her sense. Now there are several Gamorreans approaching her.
The first Gammorean rolls a 9. So the difference is 13. Her own sense roll was 22, on a Monderate (11-15) check, since the being is not Force-sensitive. Problem now:
Where does the relationship modifier come in?
She has neither met nor heared of that Gamorrean, so the relationship modifier should be at +30. That would increase the difficulty of the Check to 41-45, wich she doesn't beat with her 22, so shouldn't she not sense that Gamorrean at all? Would be the same with the second one...
She met the third Gamorrean (relationship: +12), so the difficulty should be at 23 - 27, wich she doesn't beat with a 22, but she still finds out about the identitiy and everything of that last Gamorrean.

Is the "modified by Realtionship" just a typo or where does the modifier apply?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, in that by the way the relationship chart goes, she should not have met any of the difficulties, since life detection is modified by both prox and relationship..
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch. Given the example and the listed difficulties, I'd say that the "Modified by relationship." line in the Sense difficulty was a typo. Adding in a relationship modifier would mean that you would have to be a very skilled Jedi indeed to detect anyone you didn't know sneaking up on you. As a house rule, I'd probably actually give the character bonuses if they'd met the person before or knew them well, but that's me. Something along the lines of:

User and target are:___________Add to character's roll:
    Close relatives or friends..................................+10
    Acquaintances or distant relatives.......................+5
    Met once...........................................................+2

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Force power modification (proximity and relationship) Reply with quote

Yinan wrote:
Is the "modified by Realtionship" just a typo or where does the modifier apply?
Yes, I believe there is a typo. Whether that is in the writeup (my interpretation) or in the example is left to the reader to decide.

My interpretation is that the relationship modifier does not apply towards detecting someone alive is in range. But that it does apply to detecting details like force sensitivity, species, or identity. This allows the Jedi to sense that there is someone alive in a room despite relationship, but knowing who or what that someone is does depend on relationship.

The reason for my interpretation is that the power description is inconsistent. It says
Quote:
Sense Difficulty: Very Easy if the subject has Force skills or is Force-sensitive; Moderate if not. Modified by relationship...
When approached by or approaching sentient creatures, the Jedi should make a sense roll, each creature makes an opposed control or perception roll to avoid detection...
The Jedi detects each being that she tires or beats. If the Jedi beats the target's roll by 10 or more points, she is awared if this person has
Force skills (yes or no), is Force-sensitive (yes or no), if she has met the person before (yes or no), and if yes, their identity.

The writeup is inconsistent with the Sense Difficulty based on whether the target is Force sensitive modified by relationship, while the detailed descripion talks about the targets roll rather than their Force-sensitivity.

So I house rule that the target's Perceptions/Control roll applies to whether the Jedi can detect the target. If the Jedi's rolls successfully detects the target's presence then the Jedi compares her roll to the relationship and Force-sensitivity of the target to determine whether any additional information is discovered.

I don't think there is an unambigous reading of the power, but I think my house roll matches pretty closely while creating an interesting variety in information that the Jedi may learn.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it might be inverse.. easier to detect total strangers..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps it might be inverse.. easier to detect total strangers..
That seems less likely to me as a general rule. I can't recall where but there are novels where Luke seems to more easily recognize family and friends who enter his room without turning around - which seems to be Life Detection.

Why would you want to do that and what would be the in-universe justification?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: