The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Parry with Sabers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Parry with Sabers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Parry with Sabers Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was wondering why you cannot add your melee parry to your lightsaber skill when it comes to parrying attacks. If Count Dooku, for example, force points and attacks you, there is no way in hell you wouldn't take the hit. Any ideas? What about adding your sense skill into the defense roll just like you do "To hit" when attacking? If they enemy would force point, you would atleast have a shot of surviving the the strike. I appreciate any comments.

Jatrell
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With LSC you add Sense to your Lightsaber skill to attack or parry.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmanski is correct.. When using LS Combat, your sense IS added (minus MAPS for keeping it up etc) into your LS Skill to attack OR parry. Melee is not added in as it is a different skill.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify When using LS Combat, your sense IS added (minus MAPS for keeping it up etc) into BOTH your LS Skill to attack AND parry. The lighsaber skill covers both attack and parry, unlike melee and brawling, which are broken down into separate attack and parry skills.

For example, lets say a Jedi PC has Lightsaber 7D, and Sense 5D. With Lightsaber Combat up, the character would add thier Sense to thier Lightsaber skill, rasing it to 12D. If the character kept the power up and did one attack and one parry (4 actions) he would take off 3D for MAPS, and roll 9D for both his attack and parry.

If you added melee parry in then it would become very difficult to hit somebody, since the parry roll would be rolling more dice than the attack. Although that would certainly lengthen the duels.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already cut Melee Parry completely and started using Melee Combat for both attack and defense. I'm on the verge of folding Lightsaber into Melee Combat as well, as I just can't see how a lightsaber is so technically different from a sword as to require a completely separate skill. I'm sure WEG only separated it out in the name of balance, so that a Jedi could be $hit-hot with a saber and a bumbling idiot with anything else.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I've already cut Melee Parry completely and started using Melee Combat for both attack and defense. I'm on the verge of folding Lightsaber into Melee Combat as well, as I just can't see how a lightsaber is so technically different from a sword as to require a completely separate skill. I'm sure WEG only separated it out in the name of balance, so that a Jedi could be $hit-hot with a saber and a bumbling idiot with anything else.

as the blade of the lightsaber essentially has no mass and therefor no weight, seeing it is composed of energy, it would be VERY different to wielding any type of sword.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:

as the blade of the lightsaber essentially has no mass and therefor no weight, seeing it is composed of energy, it would be VERY different to wielding any type of sword.
Energy has mass. A lightsaber has probably less than a gram of energy, but it's some...

Complete Starship Construction System
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Henrik.Balslev wrote:

Energy has mass. A lightsaber has probably less than a gram of energy, but it's some...

ok - virtually no mass - lets not nitpick shall we Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main point being that Melee Combat covers everything from knives and swords to whips, chains, poleaxes and even more exotic stuff, so long as the intention is that you hold it in your hand and try to smack someone else with it. Which is exactly the same thing you do with a lightsaber. Regardless of the mechanical and physical differences between a lightsaber and a sword, you are still essentially wielding a sword. You use the same slashing and stabbing and parrying maneuvers; the only differences are the allowances you have to make to account for the physical properties of the weapon itself.

Think about what a broad spectrum Melee Combat covers, as far as weaponry. Think about how much different a knife is from a polearm or spear, or how much different a sword or a club is from a whip or a chain weapon, and yet it is all covered under the same skill. High technology aside, there is nothing about a lightsaber that is so distinct that it needs its own skill.

Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Think about what a broad spectrum Melee Combat covers, as far as weaponry. Think about how much different a knife is from a polearm or spear, or how much different a sword or a club is from a whip or a chain weapon, and yet it is all covered under the same skill. High technology aside, there is nothing about a lightsaber that is so distinct that it needs its own skill.

I agree with this Smile

taken in this context I agree that using a lightsaber would be equivelant to comparing the fighting styles of a knive fighter to those wielding a polearm
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Predominantly cause no other melee weapon i know of, can hurt you if you miss by rolling a 10 or less.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Predominantly cause no other melee weapon i know of, can hurt you if you miss by rolling a 10 or less.

That's besides the point. I'm sure if I were to come up with game rules for a chainsaw (or something like the chain blade from WH40K), it would incorporate rules for slashing yourself if you roll badly enough, and it would still be a melee combat skill. As I stated above, for all its technical differences and increased difficulty, there is nothing in the actual wielding of a lightsaber that is so different from a sword that it should require a completely separate skill.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By that logic then, why not do away with all ranged weapon (character scale) skills and have just the 1 skill..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
By that logic then, why not do away with all ranged weapon (character scale) skills and have just the 1 skill..

What a ridiculous assertion. I'm simply doing what WEG did with every other weapon type in the game by grouping it into a broad category based on general factors. I have no problem having multiple skills for multiple weapon types. I'm simply saying that there is no reason why a lightsaber should be a separate skill when the actual technique of wielding a lightsaber in combat is so similar to a sword.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems clear to me that lightsaber is a different skill than melee, not so much because from a simulation perspective it requires a separate skill but for other reasons.

1) Drama - In the films it is a special weapon for Jedi only - analogous to a two swords or a Samurai in Japan or a Knight's sword in Europe - but with additional mystic properties. Ashigaru might carry a spear or other weapon but would not carry the two swords of a samurai and similarly in some places, times, settings, and or myths only a Knight would carry a Knight's sword. So a lightsaber gets it's own skill as a mark of its specialness.

2) Setting - In ANH it seems to be a rare weapon in this less civilized age.
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did. It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
So the idea that using a lightsaber would be rare enough that it isn't coverred by the normal melee skill fits - from this certain point of view. Wink

3) Simplicity and Ease of Play - Melee weapons are grouped because we don't really see the heroes using melee weapons much in the films and rather than have PCs spend lots of CPs on multiple skill groups like smashing weapons (club, mace, maul), slashing weapons (sword, axe), stabbing weapons (gladius, rapier), staff weapons, spears, shields, etc. (compare the differentiated skills in Runequest) for what in a Star Wars setting (from heroic behavior in the films) are likely to be rarely used skills they all get grouped together. That's also why missile weapons, blaster weapons, and firearms are three different skills. We see the heroes use different weapons in the films (blasters and bowcaster).

4) Game balance - Jedi at starting levels don't have enough attribute and skill dice so making them pay for both attack and parry separately would handicap them so attack and parry are combined under the lightsaber skill. Jedi at higher levels become uber and including melee weapons and lightsaber together would make them too versatile/powerful.

Here's my suggestion - if you don't find the rationale persuasive change it for your SWU. Arguing about it from a simulation of combat standpoint really misses the point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: