The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need some ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Need some ideas Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Need some ideas Reply with quote

Hey all,

My current game group (consisting of 6 players) is overpowered. Every encounter I throw at them is just under powered. I could really use some GM ideas to make an encounter more threatening. SOme of the things I have done is 5 stormtroopers at a time and a rancor that I actually made with 48 BP's and it only took 1/3 dmg and it didn't even get a hit on any players. I have also done combos with 6 sotrmtroopers and an AT-ST and no one takes dmg. It has been suggested that I should raise the str of the enemies we fight. But I honestly don't want to be responsible for killing a player. My players are pretty good about knowing when to run and get outta dodge. So again, maybe some suggestions. I hope I have painted a well enough picture for you all to work with.

Jatrell
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look in my signature, I've got a link to a bunch of pdfs with new and upgraded NPCs, including more powerful versions of existing characters like Stormtroopers. It might be a good place to start.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the easiest solution is to use tougher enemies so that the characters are challenged and at risk, but keep your dice rolls hidden (GM screen or something) and if one of the characters takes a roll that would kill them, just fudge the results a little.

I saw somewhere that the original ending for ROTJ had Lando not make it out of the Death Star in the Millennium Falcon, with the Falcon blowing up while trying to fly out after the reactor got destroyed. Han's line about having a funny feeling "like I'm not gonna see her again" was intended to be foreshadowing. But screening audiences reacted so negatively to it that the ending was pulled and changed so that Lando survived.

Why do I bring it up? In your universe, you are George Lucas. Don't like the result (or wary of a negative reaction from your audience)? Just change the ending.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Take a look in my signature, I've got a link to a bunch of pdfs with new and upgraded NPCs, including more powerful versions of existing characters like Stormtroopers. It might be a good place to start.

Speaking of, since you seem to be stalled on the Grand Army of the Republic, any chance we could get you to work on the Rogue / Civilian NPCs for the Classic Era?

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep meaning to get back to those, but recently, our second GM hasnt been running a game, so all the planning has fallen to me. I just havent had a lot of time to invest in it. He's planning to start GMing again soon, so I should have a little time on my hand again soon, . . . at least until the twins arrive.

I'll be sure to bump the Civilians up on the priority list when I get started again. Anything specific you are looking for?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
I'll be sure to bump the Civilians up on the priority list when I get started again. Anything specific you are looking for?

Not really. Just a general rogues gallery. Bounty hunters, gamblers, con men, etc. The kinds of civilians that characters are most likely to interact with.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Well, the easiest solution is to use tougher enemies so that the characters are challenged and at risk, but keep your dice rolls hidden (GM screen or something) and if one of the characters takes a roll that would kill them, just fudge the results a little.

As per 2E rules, a character can chose to maim an opponent instead of killing them. Stormies might not be willing to do this, but mercenaries and bountyhunters would.

Walker blasters and other large weapons could be given blast radii, which would help expose PCs to high power fire, forcing them to stick to cover and work more slowly.

Don't be afraid to give your NPCs some CPs to burn, especially on soak rolls and crucial damage rolls.

Sometimes even when no damage is done, coming 4 inches from instant and certain death can be exciting too. Have a thermal detonator go off a little early some time or something like that.

You can introduce "map hazards" to your fights, like downed power cables, crashing starships, volcanos, and PCP-addicted barabels. I once had a player fight a battle in a costal city during a "once in 1,000 years" hurricane, while burning pieces of space craft rained down from a battle above. A Victory Star Destroyer then started bombarding the ocean with assault concussion missiles, causing massive tsunamis. It was like Reach in Halo, but with water.

Sniper support can make a big difference, too. One or two good marksmen with 5D damage rifles can wear down a party awfully quickly in the confusion of battle.

Complete Starship Construction System
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I appreicate the help. Who could I ask to roll me up a special NPC char? Its a real specific character and I dont want to do it myself for fear of it being to Overpowered (or underpowered)
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five or six stormtroopers are too easy? Then increase their numbers. You don't have to go with stronger or more skilled versions, you can do it with quantity instead of quality.

How's 10 stormtroopers? What? The players are mowing through those pretty quickly? Well what about the dozen reinforcements that just showed up?

Comlinks can be used to call for reinforcements and those reinforcements could get there "just in time" to catch the PCs either by surprise or to throw them back from completely overwhelming the first wave.

The other thing to do is to provide other challenges that don't necessarily revolve around combat all the time. Physical challenges, such as sneaking into a place or travelling/traversing very rough terrain, can be good without needing to have blaster bolts fly.

When it comes to creatures, especially creatures that may not travel in packs, you can use clever tactics. Think of the way the velociraptors were presented in Jurrasic Park. So maybe the PCs stumble across a big creature like a Rancor. Well, maybe they didn't notice that the Rancor is actually doing it's best to get their attention while its mate...a big, angry male...comes up on their side/behind and takes them by surprise. There's reasons why some creatures (even in the real world) grow to huge size and look like they've been through a dozen fights. It's because they have and have learned how to be more cunning in order to win those fights.

The other thing you need to consider is that perhaps you've simply boosted the PCs to a point where they need to be retired. If they can easily take out an AT-ST without being hit at all, either their dodge is very high or you gave them way too powerful of weapons to deal with things like that. So look at that to see what sort of power the PCs have. If they've got stuff to easily blow up an AT-ST, what will it do to an AT-AT? If they can take out an AT-AT as well, then you'll need to do something to address the problem of you giving them too much power.

If they're just doing it with good, sound tactics, then congratulate your players and increase the quality and/or quantity of the bad guys you throw at them.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jatrell wrote:
Awesome, I appreicate the help. Who could I ask to roll me up a special NPC char? Its a real specific character and I dont want to do it myself for fear of it being to Overpowered (or underpowered)

What kind of NPC are we talking about?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use the rule that Stormtroopers (in particular, not the regular imperial army troops) can combine fire without needing a command roll. So, no matter how many of them there are, they can all "gang up" on the PCs.

Basically, you make one roll to using the skill of the best shooter (doesn't matter which, if they all have the same stats). For each additional Stormtrooper, you may add a +1 bonus to either the attack roll or the damage roll (you can divide it up as you see fit). So, if the players encounter 15 Stormtroopers, you can grant one guy a +10 to hit, and a +4 to damage, for example.

It really helps to bring the Stormtroopers out of the cannon fodder category and into the slightly annoying henchmen category. With enough of 'em, you can make the PCs think twice.

Also, for larger scale weapons (walker and up, I'd say), even if the PC dodges (if he doesn't have cover) he gets knocked over from the blast and loses an action or suffers a stun or something. That way, cover becomes a serious necessity in battle (as it should be).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactics is another way to go.. USE their equipment to the best the stormies have.. IE they are used to their armor so suffer no dex penalty.
Use smoke grenades or other sensory depravation ammo since their helmets protect them AND the MFAS allows them to see through it.
Mass fire on stun.
SNEAKY enemies.. Remember if they get surprise there is no reaction defense.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jatrell wrote:

If someone were to write you up an NPC for your players, then you would need to share a little more information about how you want this character to challenge the players, along with some more info on what the skill levels that your players have currently that are making them "overpowered." A list of the player's available gear would be helpful as well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want, PM me info on the following and i can whip one up quickly for you.

1) Alliegance: Imp, fringe, criminal, other
2) Power level: Eg pcs have base stats, 100 cp spent, 200 cp spent, 300 cp spent??
3) time frame of game.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that is great advice.

Something else you can do is set the players up for a trap. I did that once in a game and it worked out pretty well and made the players start reigning themselves in.

Ex:

A squad of troopers were tasked with setting up an ambush in abandoned building 1 over here.

The elite troopers had set up the building ahead of time so as to blow the whole building up. Normal troopers had requisitioned a bunch of mines, explosives, stuff for ranged and enviromental traps so as to bring down the 2 Jedi in the party.

Players show up, Elite squad was watching from Building 2 across the street. Players go in building 1, have their confrontation with the troopers, and as soon as the fire-fight began, the Elite blow up Building 1. The regular troopers died, 1 pc died, but the other 5 made their rolls dodge / survive the damage rolls.

The players had a second fight as soon as they headed out and while, they were alive, they -were- wounded once, and twice so that when the elite troopers stepped in, they were less than happy with dice pool penalties, and the like.

The trap in a trap works pretty well, but I don't reccomend using it too often. Primarily if your pc's seem to be over-confident and are always making short work, make some sort of tactical battle where they have little way of avoiding being hurt. Injured pc's usually means pc ego on "It's me, I can survive anything thrown at me" goes down dramatically and they will probably start being more careful... at least for 2 or 4 game sessions. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: