The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vital points?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Vital points? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Vital points? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if WEG ever put any rules for targeting vital points on a creature or person.

As, for example, you call a shot at a krayt dragons eyeball and achieve it, they obviously shouldn't roll their full strength. Or head shots with humans.

If WEG didn't ever, I'd love to see what people may have come up with on their own.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sort of. In the SpecForces:Rules of Engagement supplement they gave some options for increasing the damage done through skill/aiming point. There were three options.

1) Any amount of the attack roll over what was needed to hit adds to damage. This is very, very deadly.

2) As above, but it is 1 point of damage per 5 over the target number.

3) The attacker can sacrifice dice from his skill to increase damage. For example, a guy with 6D blaster could sacrifice 2D from his skill to add 2D to his damage.

The First Edition Rules Upgrade had a similar rule to #3 for use in starship combat, where gunners could give up dice to target specific areas. One such area was a vital location, and the gunner could increase the damage done by 1D per 2D sacrificed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Called Shots rule (2R&E, page 91) mentions difficulty for shooting smaller targets (although it doesn't mention increased damage). IMO, a better rule is the Optional Rule in Rules of Engagement, whereby you receive a damage bonus based on how well you rolled to hit.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. R&E had it where targeting items of X size incurred Y penalty..
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1, and #2.

For #3 I like to leave that to advanced skills. Like a different approach to martial arts, then I usually do, was just make it an advanced skill that could be split between damage and skill.

Certain "styles" of combat could be used in the same way I suppose.

Though I agree with you atgxtg that #1 could be really deadly, yet it seems #2 wouldn't be deadly enough. Ever think along those lines?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
Though I agree with you atgxtg that #1 could be really deadly, yet it seems #2 wouldn't be deadly enough. Ever think along those lines?
My thoughts about this vary quite a bit depending on which end of the barrel my character is on. Laughing

As a GM, rule #1 seems fine for a gritty, deadly, one shot adventures featuring Special Forces troopers. If they get the drop on their foes, down the foes go. But if the foes are ever able to shoot back, you are looking at some dead Spec Troops and potential a TPK.

For a campaign or saga with continuing characters, I avoid #1 like the bubonic plague.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with each +5 to the target number you wish to add, you get +1d damage for called shots.. BUT if you miss, you miss.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall targets of successful headshots rolling Strength-1D for soak. I used that often in conjunction with called shots.

Complete Starship Construction System
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I have with adding damage based on the excess roll to hit is that some attacks are only so "deadly."

Of course GM adjudication will usually allow suspension of disbelief to continue, but rolling high and applying the excess to the damage roll is kinda cheesy, if you ask me. For example, you could argue that a high roll represents a head shot, hence the more damage from a "critical hit." But, a truly awesome marksman would call his shot in advance and hit every time. One shot, one kill.

If the rule to add damage based on the hit roll is used, I would tend to rule that the shot always hits the torso(assuming the target's whole body is available to be hit, not behind cover etc). At least this way, the armor off sets the randomness...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about drop the soak instead?
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet, then you have a problem with certain creatures. That to bring these big guys down you HAVE to have called shots, or someone to attack weak points, or combine fire.

Like for example, a sword(Or in our case) a vibroblade would always kinda "cut" anything it slashes, but you are battling or "hunting" a tough creature and because of how the system works you would just never damage it. Ever. Despite if you are able to maneuver yourself in a way to stab under it's throat, or its eye, or any weak point.(As the skill roll determines how fancy or accomplished your action was)

I also want to try and avoid using hitpoints(It seems it would really remedy the problem though. As eventually things would get taken down cause of all the little hits that eventually add up)

I also like to reward thinking, more then just guns blazing. So if my players think out a extensive way to find, attack, and take advantage of a weakness I want that weakness to actually be a weakness and not impossible because of the weapon held.

Though garhkal do you mean that I'll let my character add +5 to their "to hit" and for each +5 they make it more difficulty I could allow them +1D damage?

Essentially it runs into the fact, that weapons can be extremely deadly for similar beings, yet utterly useless against others.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:

Like for example, a sword(Or in our case) a vibroblade would always kinda "cut" anything it slashes, but you are battling or "hunting" a tough creature and because of how the system works you would just never damage it. Ever. Despite if you are able to maneuver yourself in a way to stab under it's throat, or its eye, or any weak point.(As the skill roll determines how fancy or accomplished your action was)

Well, how many people do you know of who have successfully hunted an elephant with a knife?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story from biblical history. During the Maccabean revolt, the Seleucids used elephants as very effective shock units, and then Eleazar ben Mattityahu, one of the sons of the leader of the Maccabees, had a brilliant idea. He got in front of the elephant and lay down on the ground, and as the elephant walked up to him, he stabbed it in the belly with his spear. The elephant collapsed on the spot. Unfortunately, Eleazar was the spot. Squish.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but a spear has 2-3 times the penetration potential of a sword, and 10 or more times that of a knife. Sometimes you just need a bigger weapon to kill a bigger animal. Reducing the soak by 1D is a good representation of hitting an animal in a weak spot, such as the head or neck. Potentially, you could subtract 2D from soak for a shot to the eye or another entirely defenseless location. That, in my gameplay experience, is a reasonable compromise for fighting scary monsters.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Azai wrote:

Well, how many people do you know of who have successfully hunted an elephant with a knife?

I killed a Grizzly Bear with a knife. (Okay, it was on Red Dead Redemption.... and I had to run a lot.... and I died a few times trying it..... but I did do it!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: