The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Stryder & the Clone wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Stryder & the Clone wars Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Dark Stryder & the Clone wars Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I will be starting a new campaign soon after 4 years of suffering from Starwars d6 withdraw! I recently obtained the DarkStryder books and really love the overall story. My players however want to play in the Clone Wars Era. I would like to use the Dark Stryder campaign and adjust it to fit into the Clone Wars. As anyone does this or does anyone have any ideas and how this could work?
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have to look through the books again, but the easiest way I can think of would be to have a company hosting an exploration into various unknown regions due to information from a new alien species.

Replace all the Imperial forces with a smugglers or mafia-style family that has control of the sector and is using it as an obviously hidden and hard to get into base.

Just a thought that comes to mind. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or replace the Imperials with Separatists and the crew of the FarStar with Republic Forces.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Or replace the Imperials with Separatists and the crew of the FarStar with Republic Forces.

Thats the way I would handle it.

I've never run this as a Clone Wars era game, but I dont see any potential problems with it. Just take a little time to replace the vehicles/equipment with timeline appropriate stuff. The crew of the FarStar can easily be replaced by Grand Army/Republic personnel. And the Imperials could easily be replaced with either a criminal faction or Seperatists. It might take a little work, but once you work out the details of who crews the FarStar, and who replaces the Imperial forces, then its just a matter of giving everyone appropriate gear.

Let us know how the conversion turns out!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 2 issues i see are
A) when did the neb B come out? Was it even out during the clone wars?

B) Was that area even open to exploration?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

A) The Nedulon-B came out in response to the Rebel Alliance threat, so that would need to be replaced if you are worried about cannon. On that note, this could be solved by replacing it with a ship from that era with a similar ship. Some examples (There are a lot of other ships, or combination of ships that could work, these are just what I can think of at the moment):

Carrack-class light cruiser: Has more guns, but less fighters.
Class 1000 cruiser: More Guns, less fighters, more troops.
Star Galleon-class frigate: Less guns, heavier armor, no fighters, more troops.

The first two examples would porbably fill the role with little to no modification. The Star Galleon I would "Modify" to carry 12-18 fighters. to make up for the serious lack of firepower.

B) The Kathol Sector is mentioned in one of the Republic Commando books as well as the WotC book Secrets of Naboo, so there is precedence to run a campaign during that time period.

Wookieepedia has this to say about the Kathol Sector: The sector was first settled nearly six hundred years prior to the Battle of Kal'Shebbol, when Galactic Republic colonists settled the planet Gandle Ott.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

The FarStar is a heavily modified Corellian Corvette, not a Nebulon B, and I can't recall Neb B's having a major roll in the story. Since we have seen one Corellian Corvette already in the prequels, having the FarStar appear as described in the original story shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Quote:

I can't recall the history of the area in detail, but it shouldn't be a problem...

Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the responses, I really appreciate them. I am probably going to end up replaying all the ships and equipment with Clone War era tech just to make it fit better. There is also the problem that most my players want to play Jedi and I was thinking of modifying the campaign somewhat to adjust for the Jedi. I thought I had read on another post about Dark Stryder that someone modified the campaign and replaced the technology with force artifacts and Dark Stryder with a Sith Lord. What do you all think of that idea?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably talking about my conversion. Converting the campaign into a Force user campaign is actually really easy.

All you need to do:
1. Darkstryder technology works in the same way. Just call the items "Sith Artifacts." And warn your players about the "Lure of the Dark Side" any time they want to make use of those artifacts.

2. Update your factions & equipment to fit your setting (This is by far the hardest part of the conversion, and most of that will only include looking up appropriate stats.)

3. Consider adding one or more Sith to the group you replace the Imperials with. This gives them a little more reason to be seeking the Sith Artifacts. This will also help to offset the additional power that Jedi characters will be bringing to the game.

4. Look over your encounters before hand. With force users in your group, you might need to adjust the encounters slightly to provide your players with a challenge.

5. You dont even need to create a new Sith Lord for the end of the module if you dont want want to. You can just use DarkStryder itself and say its and "Unidentified species". All of the roleplaying notes and behavior can even stay the same if you want it to.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Stryder & the Clone wars Reply with quote

Bigkrieg wrote:
Hello everyone,
I will be starting a new campaign soon after 4 years of suffering from Starwars d6 withdraw! I recently obtained the DarkStryder books and really love the overall story. My players however want to play in the Clone Wars Era. I would like to use the Dark Stryder campaign and adjust it to fit into the Clone Wars. As anyone does this or does anyone have any ideas and how this could work?

I would love to hear how this goes. I also recently bought Darkstryder and love the possibilities, but haven't thought about it in the clone wars era. Sadly, I can't get my group together to try it out. Good luck!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of the ship in the book, for an era appropriate ship for the Jedi, you could use a Consular Class Cruiser.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Instead of the ship in the book, for an era appropriate ship for the Jedi, you could use a Consular Class Cruiser.

The Consular would work, but since ROTS established that Corellian Corvettes are in service by the end of the Clone Wars, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to keep the existing ship, especially since the CR90 class was supposed to be easily modified.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Consider adding one or more Sith to the group you replace the Imperials with. This gives them a little more reason to be seeking the Sith Artifacts. This will also help to offset the additional power that Jedi characters will be bringing to the game.

But per the original Darkstryder storyline, doesn't the Imperial side already have access to the artifacts? Did I misunderstand? Since you are already suggesting using DarkStryder as the campaign's "final boss", as it were, why not have any Sith encountered be either Dark Jedi working for the separatists or acolytes of the final boss himself?

IMO, probably the best way to do a Clone Wars crossover is replace the Imperials down the line with Separatists and battle droids, backed by the occasional dark adept. Have Darkstryder be allied with the Separatists and have the Darkstryder artifacts begin showing up on battlefields in the area, prompting the Republic to send a small taskforce. You could even assign a Jedi Knight or Master NPC assigned as the taskforce's commander, then have him go the same route as the captain in the original DarkStryder campaign, leaving one of the PCs in command.

Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have planned and what it looks like so far. We are planning on beginning the campaign in a few weeks.

1. All 3 players want to be Jedi. They see no point in playing SW if they arnt Jedi.
2. I am changing the character's main villain "Moff Sarne" with a Sith woman whom the characters can later try and bring back to the light.
3. The characters will also be accompanied by my villain's sister who is dedicated to bringing the evil Sith to justice or returning her to the light. Both the protagonist and the antagonist will be romance options for the characters as well.
4. Darkstryder will remain largely the same as will the overall plot but will be given extensive darkside powers to make him a challenge.
5. All the NPCs in the original Darkstryder campaign will largely remain the same. In the past, my players have become attached to certain NPCs I’ve had and it will be fun to see the players reactions when one of those NPCs gets killed off.

This is all I have so far. If anyone has any suggestions, please post!
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigkrieg, It sounds like you are well on your way! Keep us posted on your progress, I'm sure that a lot of people around here are looking forward to seeing how everything turns out!

I dont see it happening in the near future, but maybe some day, I will put together a Clone Wars/Dark Times DarkStryder guide, . . .

crmcneill wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
Consider adding one or more Sith to the group you replace the Imperials with. This gives them a little more reason to be seeking the Sith Artifacts. This will also help to offset the additional power that Jedi characters will be bringing to the game.

But per the original Darkstryder storyline, doesn't the Imperial side already have access to the artifacts? Did I misunderstand? Since you are already suggesting using DarkStryder as the campaign's "final boss", as it were, why not have any Sith encountered be either Dark Jedi working for the separatists or acolytes of the final boss himself?

Its been a while since I've played the campaign. Bit it seems to me that the Imperials had just a little Darkstryder technology and were seeking out more. It would be the same for the Sith, they would have a couple of items and be seeking more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: