The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

MAPs and Fire Arcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> MAPs and Fire Arcs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: MAPs and Fire Arcs Reply with quote

So, we all know how MAPs work; the more you do, the higher your dice penalties go. But it got me thinking that some combined actions are more difficult than others, particularly shooting. Just an example of what I'm thinking:

Let's say your character is armed with a blaster pistol, and he is shooting at two stormtroopers directly in front of him (i.e. in the front fire arc), so there is a -1D MAP.

However, suppose the character is shooting at one stormtrooper in front and one stormtrooper to the side. Should there be an additional MAP for engaging targets in multiple fire arcs?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it.. Many other games do have penalties for shooting at diverging targets..
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea makes sense from a simulationist perspective. You should probably consider though that if it is harder to fire on opponent's in the front and left or right fire arcs, it will be even more difficult going from front to rear. So is there an additional penalty for those shots? Or do you decide to only give the penalty when the opponent's are flanking the attacker and he is firing into opposite fire arcs (front/rear, left/right)?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law wrote:
I think the idea makes sense from a simulationist perspective. You should probably consider though that if it is harder to fire on opponent's in the front and left or right fire arcs, it will be even more difficult going from front to rear. So is there an additional penalty for those shots? Or do you decide to only give the penalty when the opponent's are flanking the attacker and he is firing into opposite fire arcs (front/rear, left/right)?

I was thinking that exact same thing, but I wanted to stick to the basic premise before I brought it up. I was thinking an additional +1D MAP to hit targets in adjoining arcs, and +2D to hit targets in opposing arcs. On reflection, it may be a bit too severe...

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I was thinking that exact same thing, but I wanted to stick to the basic premise before I brought it up. I was thinking an additional +1D MAP to hit targets in adjoining arcs, and +2D to hit targets in opposing arcs. On reflection, it may be a bit too severe...

Maybe pips instead of dice? After all, it's not that hard to swivel at the hips and shoot two targets 90° apart.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Maybe pips instead of dice? After all, it's not that hard to swivel at the hips and shoot two targets 90° apart.

That's where I was leaning; a +1 penalty to hit in adjoining arcs, then +1D to hit in opposite arcs.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

That's where I was leaning; a +1 penalty to hit in adjoining arcs, then +1D to hit in opposite arcs.

Okay, I'd also probably make the penalty apply only to the shooting, too.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

That i can easily get behind.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: multiple targets Reply with quote

being highly skilled with firearms in real life, i can tell you that to accurately hit 2 targets that are near each other carries a reasonable penalty in game. being former army as well, i have experience in engaging targets from multiple angles. if your main target is at 12 o'clock and you get another target at either 3 or 9 o'clock, even at 50 meters, it is significantly more difficult than engaging 2 targets that are in the same LOS (line of sight).
in my games over the years i went with the rules but through my own life experience i changed it.
i personally put a 1D penalty on hitting the second target for every 5-10 meters it is from the first in the same round, modified by everything else like usual.
i also put a 1D penalty for quick firing, a 2D penalty for hip firing
rapid firing incurred staggering penalties in my games: 1D penalty for each shot after the first
full auto fire and burst fire was never really covered in the game rules, at least i dont ever recall reading them from 1st through 2nd revised. most full auto weapons weren't designed to be precision weapons but more of a suppressive weapon. burst fire was a compromise between full auto fire and semi auto fire.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read my house rules for firearms on full sprays....
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You should read my house rules for firearms on full sprays....

any way you could link them to me so i can give them a look over for possible use in my own games?

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: