The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modifying Starfighters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Modifying Starfighters? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Modifying Starfighters? Reply with quote

I know there are rules for modifying space tansports in SWGG6: Tramp Freighters, and I remember it saying that starfighter modification would be covered in another book, so can anyone point me in the right direction?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying Starfighters? Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
I know there are rules for modifying space tansports in SWGG6: Tramp Freighters, and I remember it saying that starfighter modification would be covered in another book, so can anyone point me in the right direction?
I don't believe WEG ever published any SF specific modification rules. There were some standard add ons for fighters e.g. hyperdrive sleds, booster rings, and nav computers in Gry Sarth's D6 conversion of SAGA's Starships of the Galaxy. I presume you could also use the mod rules in GG6 for starfighters.

In the Rebellion period, I don't think Imperials modify their SFs (with rare exceptions like Vader's TIE Advanced prototype) and I assume the Rebel techs are too busy trying to keep what fighters they have flying to have time to customize or improve them. But I could see independents having the time and the money.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the modification chapter of Tramp Freighters, WEG was specific that these rules were for modifying space transports only, and that a future supplement would deal with modification of starfighters. That pretty much just leaves the upgrade rules in the 2R&E Rulebook.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
In the modification chapter of Tramp Freighters, WEG was specific that these rules were for modifying space transports only, and that a future supplement would deal with modification of starfighters. That pretty much just leaves the upgrade rules in the 2R&E Rulebook.
My recollection is the rulebook was a bit thin on details. I think by combining the 2R&E rules, GG9, and the supplemental SF equipment in the D6 conversion it should be reasonable to manage something.

Personally I like players to "earn" their ship mods in play via a combination of aquiring the necessary parts and literal sweat equity of doing (or overseeing) the mods themselves. Given the lives of most SF pilots, I'm not sure when they have time to hire out, oversee, or perform the modifications or to keep their ship in the shop.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm well I guess it was a dead end then Smile I was thinking about creating an old experienced fighterpilot - as in his callsign could be "pops" old Wink - flying an outdated starfighter, like the cloakshape, and always complaining about the younguns' beeing too rash, and that the newer ships dont have the craftsmanship of the fighters of his age Smile He would ofcourse have souped it up a bit, to make it able to hold its own against the newer starfighters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
hm well I guess it was a dead end then Smile I was thinking about creating an old experienced fighterpilot - as in his callsign could be "pops" old Wink - flying an outdated starfighter, like the cloakshape, and always complaining about the younguns' beeing too rash, and that the newer ships dont have the craftsmanship of the fighters of his age Smile He would ofcourse have souped it up a bit, to make it able to hold its own against the newer starfighters.
Ahh...now that idea I like. And a fully souped up Cloak Shape has a better maneuver bonus than an X-wing. You really only need the hyperdrive and the speed to keep up with whatever other vessel(s) the PCs have.

In our campaign, Jammer squadron were Rebels from Kidron that flew Cloak Shapes ships because that's what they were able to acquire on the black market. The squadron commander was a Wroonian Mercenary that switched to the Rebellion after being captured by some PCs. The Rebels added a hyperdrive sled for jump and a maneuvering foil (looks like a spoiler) that significantly adds to the manuevering. They were slow (speed 6) so they mostly were used to protect the capital ships in their fleet since they way outmaneuvered the standard Imperial TIEs.

Or take a look at the Whitecloak fighter in Gry Sarth's Starships Stats (Censored) book and use that as a base.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the RPG is that ship maneuverability isn't really a limiting factor. Since it adds to skill, high skill ofsets any edge in maneuverability. For the most part it doesn't matter if you have 8D skill and 0D Maneuverability or 4D skill and 4D maneuverability.

So a old, veteran with a high skill can keep up with the young guns, in terms of maneuverability.

Now, if really shouldn't work that way, but it does.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While some add ons are easy/mods such as replacing the hyperdrive with a slightly newer on.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
So a old, veteran with a high skill can keep up with the young guns, in terms of maneuverability.

Now, if really shouldn't work that way, but it does.

Don't see why not. It kinda goes with the factor of "He did WHAT? In a WHAT?!?" Han pulling off manoeuvres in the Falcon that are causing TIE pilots difficulty is a prime example; he managed some spectacular moves that pilots in faster, more nimble craft couldn't dream of.

That seems to be the idea being worked with here. It's a good idea and it has precedent in the setting (and to some extent, general physics).

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying Starfighters? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I don't believe WEG ever published any SF specific modification rules. There were some standard add ons for fighters e.g. hyperdrive sleds, booster rings, and nav computers in Gry Sarth's D6 conversion of SAGA's Starships of the Galaxy. .

Yeah, the rules were extrapolated from some formulae intended for d20 ships. Theoretically anything in the book could be used for starfighters with some cost changes, but we didn't go that route wholesale. There were a few things that it seemed necessary to do for starfighters, and I bent a lot of the formulae to make it seem reasonable for starfighters. In the end, I was never 100% sure, but it passed some scrutiny by a few other long-time players. In the end I felt good enough about putting out what we had done in there.

I'd love to come up with a separate set of starfighter equipment and modification mechanics just like they had planned to do in the waning days of WEG (and who knows... they might have been in the works in the fated X-Wing book).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying Starfighters? Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'd love to come up with a separate set of starfighter equipment and modification mechanics just like they had planned to do in the waning days of WEG (and who knows... they might have been in the works in the fated X-Wing book).
There is a list in one of the WEG books of some specific mods for the Cloakshape. It's one I have back in the USA and just don't recall which book it's in.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying Starfighters? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
There is a list in one of the WEG books of some specific mods for the Cloakshape. It's one I have back in the USA and just don't recall which book it's in.

I know for a fact its in the Dark Empire Sourcebook
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying Starfighters? Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

I'd be up for helping with something - I was never very good at the mechanics of stuff, but I'm very good at getting ideas Smile
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

Don't see why not. It kinda goes with the factor of "He did WHAT? In a WHAT?!?" Han pulling off manoeuvres in the Falcon that are causing TIE pilots difficulty is a prime example; he managed some spectacular moves that pilots in faster, more nimble craft couldn't dream of.

Han didn't do anything thing that the TIE fighters couldN7t pull off. Just stiff thsat thoe pilots had trouble with. If you look at the chases, the TIE are doing as much turning, and rolling as the Falcon.

The thing I don't like about it all being the same, is that it allows anything to turn on a dime, even a Star Destroyer. There is no reason in game why Captail scale ships can do rolls and sharp turns like the fighters.

Ankhanu wrote:

That seems to be the idea being worked with here. It's a good idea and it has precedent in the setting (and to some extent, general physics).

Don't bing general physics into this. it is out of it's element! General physics-wise the ships would not maneuver as if they were in an atmosphere to begin with, and the performance ratings would be a matter of thrust to mass ratios, speed and g tolerances. The skill o the pilot would not make a ship turn or roll faster. Now if maneuverability were affected by speed, I'd have not problem with a Speed 5 freighter out turning a speed 10 fighter, but Star Wars has never been about real world physics.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
...but Star Wars has never been about real world physics.
Shocked but...but...but, there's cool ships that go swoosh and...and...blasters...and... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: