The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Darkstryder Variations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Darkstryder Variations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Darkstryder Variations Reply with quote

Good morning everyone. I have long read and appreciated the material on this site, but have only recently joined. After a long lay-off, I am hoping to get back into roleplaying more frequently.

To that end, I am planning on running the Darkstryder campaign. There's a lot to like in there and it will be a change from what my group has done in the past. In reading the forums, however, it appears that many are not all that crazy about the Darkstryder technology. I too am a little skeptical and am looking for alternative ideas. That aspect of the story seems just a bit too far out there. Anyone have any suggestions? What have other GMs done with that? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, one other related question, and if this needs its own thread, let me know. In the Darkstryder manual, the authors discourage force users in the campaign. Has anyone gone against that warning and if so, how did it turn out?

Thanks.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the Darkstryder campaign twice, the first time as a player and the second time as the GN. We went with the story "as-is" the first time and it went just fine. Since the technology only works in proximity to Kathol, it ends up completely nerfed once the characters leave the region. If your players dont mind the strange tech, then the storyline is fine, as-is.

The second time I played the campaign, I decided to spice it up a bit by using Sith artifacts and tieing it in with the rebuilding of the Jedi Order. With two of my players running aspiring Jedi, the Sith technology held a dark and seductive fascination for them. The Sith Holocron that "spoke" to them was a lot of fun. "I can teach you young Jedi, I contain Jedi teachings, . . . . I can help you learn what you need to survive, . . . . . " or "What do you really know of the Sith? Only what you have heard from the Jedi? Let me teach you the truth, . . . . "

As for discouraging Force users in the campaign, . . . . see above. And yes, it worked out beautifully. The first campaign we ran had one low level force user, we didnt have any problem in that campaign either.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the box, but never ran it. I didn't have the right group for it. Our main group already had long established characters that we wanted to continue to play, so I needed a new group that was likely to be around long enough to have a chance to finish the scenario. That group never materialized. From what I recall, it looked interesting and fun. And the ship has a nice cobbled together feel that I like, though I still don't see how they can possibly fit all those fighters and shuttles on or in a corvette size hull. Shocked

I know some people are put off by the multiple characters, but we have done that in many systems for decades. It started in Call of Cthulhu for in part to provide a mix between action and research characters and in part to have back ups in the event of sudden character mishap. We continued when we ran Star Trek (sent in between OldShow and NextGen) so that all players could have both a command/bridge staff PC, someone to go on away teams, and supporting characters. Also, since the players were running the ship there were a set of bridge, engineering, and medical slots that needed a character and the GMs perferred having players making those decisions and doing the character design. It left the GM free to create the adversaries and allies of the ship and crew. Really in a sense the players were playing the ship as an wholistic entity consiting of the vessel and her crew. Which became even more the case when we moved to a ship with a Self Aware computer. Laughing Really when running entire ships either players need to run multiple characters or the GM ends up running most of the ship (which seems suboptimal to me).

I assume the warning on force users is so that the pregenerated force sensitive character is not upstaged, out angsted, or otherwise made irrelevant.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second time I played the campaign, I decided to spice it up a bit by using Sith artifacts and tieing it in with the rebuilding of the Jedi Order. With two of my players running aspiring Jedi, the Sith technology held a dark and seductive fascination for them. The Sith Holocron that "spoke" to them was a lot of fun. "I can teach you young Jedi, I contain Jedi teachings, . . . . I can help you learn what you need to survive, . . . . . " or "What do you really know of the Sith? Only what you have heard from the Jedi? Let me teach you the truth, . . . . "

I am definitely intrigued by the idea. Can you give me a little more as to what you did? Was there a Sith temple and/or Sith Lord involved?

Also, in this case, did you replace the pre-generated characters with player-created characters?
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people are put off by the multiple characters, but we have done that in many systems for decades... Also, since the players were running the ship there were a set of bridge, engineering, and medical slots that needed a character and the GMs perferred having players making those decisions and doing the character design. It left the GM free to create the adversaries and allies of the ship and crew. Really in a sense the players were playing the ship as an wholistic entity consiting of the vessel and her crew. Which became even more the case when we moved to a ship with a Self Aware computer. Laughing Really when running entire ships either players need to run multiple characters or the GM ends up running most of the ship (which seems suboptimal to me).

I hadn't thought of that, but that is a great point. Did there seem to be a "right" number of characters per player? At what point was it too many?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can remember about the campaign. Its been quite a while.

The cast of characters were the same as they appear in the DarkStryder campaign. Each of the characters were allowed to build their own characters from scratch. The only details I gave them about the campaign ahead of time was that it was going to take place in a backwater part of the galaxy and it was going to deal heavily with Force related artifacts.

When we started the campaign, it played out around the same time as the Corellian Trillogy, and the two Force users from the group were young students from the Accademy on Yavin IV.

The Darkstryder Fortress was a Sith Temple, and the Darkstryder Artifacts were turned into Sith Artifacts. As the campaign progressed, it became more and more common to stumble across a peice of Sith lore or some form of Sith weapon

As for a Sith Lord, yeah, I ended up replacing the DarkStryder creature with a Sith Lord of similar power.

The Artifact of Aaris turns out to be a powerful Sith Holocron. Once the one or more of the player's characters pass their willpower check and recognize the artifact as the source of the crew going nuts, the Holocron seems to go dormant. The Commander of the FarStar decides the object is to important to destroy and decides it should be kept in safe keeping onboard the ship. Later in the campaign any Force sensitives on the ship start hearing it talking to them. The Holocron also acted as a good way to stear the players back in the right direction on the occasions when they overlooked an important clue or element of the story. When anyone tries to access the Holocron, it proves uncooperative or misleading. However, should any of the Force sensitive characters on board the FarStar be interested in learning from it, it will provide a wealth of Sith knowledge. The temptation proved too much for one of the players, . . . . . That character nearly went down a very dark path.

In a nut shell, I tried to keep the storyline as intact as I could, only making adjustments as needed to shift the focus from the DarkStryder technology towards Sith lore instead. It was actually a very easy conversion.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
I hadn't thought of that, but that is a great point. Did there seem to be a "right" number of characters per player? At what point was it too many?
Short answer - 1-2 active at the exact same time and place tends to work best.

Longer answer: With experience players who are used to taking on different roles can pretty easily handle mutliple characters, but 1-3 characters being active in a given scene is really the limit. Most people struggle to come up with in character dialog and actions for more than 2 characters in the same scene and that tends to overly slow down play.

For CoC, over the years the players have created quite a few characters, many of whom are still active or at most semi-retired, but they tend to only take 1-3 on any given adventure. Usually they take fewer on smaller or beginning adventures or when there are more players and they take more characters when there are fewer players or when the adventure is cataclysmic or the conclusion of a big world spanning campaign. Particular characters may get called in when the investigators find they need someone who can read Aramaic, for example, or who has a personal copy of the Ponape Scriptures. Often different characters will rotate through each of the different parts of a global campaign but then the entire bunch comes along or gets involved for the conclusion.

In Star Trek, a given adventure tends to be like the TV show where it will focus on particular characters either for the main plot or the subplot and other characters may not appear or may only be in the background, i.e. the helmsman may be the person steering the ship, but if ship maneuvers aren't important he/she does and says very little. Often only doing what the captain orders and saying nothing except "yes, Captain" or some particular in character phrase. The stable of characters allows a player to take on different roles with different personalities. But again we usually try to have only 1 or 2 characters who have an active part in any given scene. We found that in Star Trek where there is often action on the ship and on a planet that it works better if the players have a character in both locations. We alternate the scenes and the players move in and out of the particular character. One benefit to this is it avoids what to me is the sometimes incredibly artificial device of non-splitting up a party (for metagame play convenience) that really ought to be split up for in-story, in-character reasons. By the end of play we each had a couple of major characters (ones that see a lot of air time like the stars on a TV show) and at least 4-5 or so minor characters (the characters you see often, that are the focus on a few episodes, but they are not the focus of most shows) on the ship.

Note, some players really have a hard time switching roles and keeping knowledge and attitudes in character. But everyone gets better with practice. The main players in our group are also at least two or more from the following list: experienced GMS, scenario designers, authors, actors, boderline MPD. Wink These attributes or occupations help in learning to juggle multiple characters.

Oh and btw, thanks for coming into the light and posting. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add another one into the "Got the box, never ran it" group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: