The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Targeting something next to another..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Targeting something next to another..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Targeting something next to another.. Reply with quote

In other game systems, you have some penalties (or different rules) for firing into a melee/when a target is next to another, for determining if your Hit really hit the target you aimed at, OR whether the miss you had hits the other(s). Such as ADNDs rolling a D comesurate with the number of targets in the melee your arrow shot went into.

How would you all do that for Starwars? What of in space?
EG baddie ship X hits pc's with ion cannons and shuts it down. While shut down, he goes to board (cutting tool boarding ramp like a kartan shuttle does).
During this, the pc's only hope rests with their lone Y wing pilot, who just finished up taking out baddie's 4 Tie ugly friends..
he lines up a shot but MISSES baddly.
Would he hit the pc's ship?
What if he missed only just?
What if he flubbed (lots of 1s and a 1 on the wild)?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... good question(s).

I'm thinking this: it depends on where each is in relation to each other. To use your example: the baddie is next to the PCs ship. So it depends on how the Y-Wing approaches.

I see three ways:
1) the baddie and PCs ship is side by side
2) the PCs ship is behind the baddie
3) the PCs ship is in front of the baddie

This is just a simplification, of course.
So the odds of hitting the PCs ship are:
1) 1 in 4
2) almost zero (depending on size and angle of attack)
3) very high- you could use the PCs ship as cover in this instance

This is just a knee-jerk reaction. I'll have to think more before I give you a more in-depth answer.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the chance of hitting the other depends on the amount missed by and the proximity to the "friendly" (or "other target").

So just barely miss, then you miss the intended target and you don't hit any other targets.

You miss by a fair bit (5-8 or so), and the other target is very near, then I'd give it a 50/50 chance. Roll 1D. 1-3 you hit the other target. 4-6 you miss everything.

You miss by a lot (10+) or you fail and roll a 1 on the Wild, then you miss the intended target and hit the other target.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to assume that if unhindered and not under time constraints the Y-Wing would move to a position where the target completely eclipsed the PC's ship.

In that case a miss, even a complication would simply be a miss or a complication.

If the Y-Wing was unable to make that move then I'd make a successful complication (IE when the player rolls a one which turns out to be a complication but even with that rolls high enough to be a success) to be a hit that causes the two ships to smash into each other (or some varient on that theme) and in the result of an unsuccessful complication I'd rule that the player hit the PC's ship.

I tend to assume misses are just that.

To use a similar example: If you're making a called shot to a the bridge of a ship then a near miss doesn't result in you hitting the ship but not in bridge. There has to be an increased risk of missing with a called shot otherwise why not make a called shot every time?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the example i was thinking of (happened to me as a pc) the baddie was under us, coring into our cargo hold. The Y wing (stripped out lasers and ions for faster engine and a trio of PT launchers) came from below, and decided to do a trip shot. EVEN with all of us others saying to NOT shoot then..
GM asked him three times if he was sure.. and even said at the time "You miss by more than 10, you will smack a now shieldless freighter with your fellow party members on. You sure of that?!

After all the arguing he just rolled... Not a single dice was over a 1. TOTAL flub tastic.
laztheinfamous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually treat it as protection. If the difficulty is X, then anything under X would hit the wrong ship. Then if they DID hit the right ship, it would fall under the same as the as damaged protection in the book.

However, that would assume that the three ships were lined up, if the shooting ship moved so that it was parallel to the other two ships, it would be if the shooter missed by 1/2 of the difficulty then he would hit the wrong thing. Over 1/2 would mean that the shot went clear of everything.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
After all the arguing he just rolled... Not a single dice was over a 1. TOTAL flub tastic.
I probably would not look at this as a choice of hit the PCs ship or nothing. Rather than just hitting the PC's ship I might have had the complication be one of the following:
1) Proton torpedo launcher system has a power surge that shorts out all the launchers.
2) Proton torpedo was a dud and it hits the PCs ship (or the bad guy's ship) but does not detonate.
3) Proton torpedo was defective and it goes off inside the launch tube. Bye bye pilot.

For me 1) is my most likely and 2) is my least likely choice of complication.

Here is why - 1) penalizes the party for the bad roll without killing all but the PC would insisted on trying the risky shot. They are now all in a much worse position than before the shot, but they are still alive. 2) provides no penalty to the party on the ship or the pilot. 3) is a more intense version of 1) and the pros and cons of 3) should be obvious.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the gm even though of having his system frak up.. BUT he did give a chance of it blowing up IN the launcher (hot fired)..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not sure if the gm even though of having his system frak up.. BUT he did give a chance of it blowing up IN the launcher (hot fired)..
Weapon system overload/jam is one I use a lot.

I think hitting the wrong target in melee is common in D&D, but that result is no where near as fatal as topedoing a stationary and unshielded vessel in Star Wars.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id go by situation here. If there was time to calmly aim at the foremost vessel Id leave hitting the PCs ship to really bad rolls (which was the case here IIUC). O

Otherwise, when firing into melee under more chaotic circumstances I normally apply a penalty, and if the dice end up between what was needed to hit and the target number without the penalty, the wrong target is hit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Otherwise, when firing into melee under more chaotic circumstances I normally apply a penalty, and if the dice end up between what was needed to hit and the target number without the penalty, the wrong target is hit.

Which i have seen many a time with some shooting rifles/pistols into a mad melee..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: