The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Re: Brawling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Re: Brawling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laztheinfamous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brawling Reply with quote

I have a bit of an odd question. One of my players decided to make his wookiee have a brawling; wrestling specialization. However, looking over the rule books it seems like the brawling rules were really made for punches and kicks. Is there any rules for holds and such? I remember someone in a campaign a number of years ago doing something like this, but for the life of me I can't remember where he got the rules for doing it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2R&E Rulebook, page 58, directly under the description for the Brawling skill.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
laztheinfamous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I feel silly now. Looking at the revised book with all the goofy tan boxes between paragraphs. I thought that was something not having to do with brawling, completely overlooked it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a whil back i asked about UFC/WWE style wrestling holds and what their stats would be. IIRC someone posted a website listing many different maneuvers from hurricain henradas, to tombstone piledrivers..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate some of the specialization categories. They can lead to really gamey character development. IIRC 'martial arts' is a specialization of Brawling for example. Even if you specialize in punching and kicking, a wookie will quickly reach insane levels.

I generally dont allow specializations. If I were, Id use the Shadowrun rules where a specialized skill counts as 2D lower when it comes to the cost of advancing the skill. That is a specialization of Blaster: Pistols of 8D costs 6 CPs to raise. 6D costs 4 CPs, etc.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I really hate some of the specialization categories. They can lead to really gamey character development. IIRC 'martial arts' is a specialization of Brawling for example. Even if you specialize in punching and kicking, a wookie will quickly reach insane levels.

I generally dont allow specializations. If I were, Id use the Shadowrun rules where a specialized skill counts as 2D lower when it comes to the cost of advancing the skill. That is a specialization of Blaster: Pistols of 8D costs 6 CPs to raise. 6D costs 4 CPs, etc.
Interesting approach. That seems like a good way to limit overspecialization (if that is a problem). We haven't seen a lot of specialization in our play. That may be due to our players wanting to be broadly skilled or to GMs taking advantage of PC's non-specialization areas. The only exceptions are for starship piloting for those PCs that own their own ship or for starfighter pilots in a specific squadron.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the optional martial arts rules in Rules of Engagement. Very interesting stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: