The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

“Concetration” power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> “Concetration” power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: “Concetration” power Reply with quote

Do you know “Conceration”? A Control skill action, difficulty Easy (or Difficult when pc is angry) that gives +4D in any single action the jedi wants to do.

What do you think about this power??
A player can use it in every round he do make a single action, even in combat? A player will never act as an angry jedi… so it will be almost an easy action everytime, like: resting in peace, waiting for an attack, climbing a mountaing, sensing a sith…
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: “Concetration” power Reply with quote

leao wrote:
Do you know “Conceration”? A Control skill action, difficulty Easy (or Difficult when pc is angry) that gives +4D in any single action the jedi wants to do.

A player can use it in every round he do make a single action, even in combat? A player will never act as an angry jedi… so it will be almost an easy action everytime, like: resting in peace, waiting for an attack, climbing a mountaing, sensing a sith…

I have recently added another requirement for the power. The Jedi must take a round to calm himself in most circumstances. During this round he may do nothing, except flying a ship more or less straight forward.

If the Jedi wants to use this power in a single round he has to pass a Willpower test to quickly calm himself enough. I have no hard rules here, but the test starts at Moderate if under normal condition (ie everyday modern life). Easy if in calm environment (perhaps a lush forest) and Difficult if under stress (not in combat, but those Droidekas will come around that corner any second now). In combat the test is V.Difficult.

This more or less removes the combat part of this power.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as written it can be used just about any time... and I really don't like it Razz
I tend to rule that it's a full round action and applies to the action in the next round. i.e. You spend the round Concentrating, next round you get a bonus to a skill roll.

I also don't tend to allow it for combat situations, not that making the whole thing take 2 rounds makes it very viable for combat Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never found that using it in combat is a good idea anyway. IIRC it says that you can only use that one skill that you concentrated on. That would mean you could either dodge or attack, not both. You could be the thing that never gets hit, or the thing that never misses. Personally, I don't see it as a positive thing if you can deadeye a shot but are completely defenseless.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I never found that using it in combat is a good idea anyway. IIRC it says that you can only use that one skill that you concentrated on. That would mean you could either dodge or attack, not both. You could be the thing that never gets hit, or the thing that never misses. Personally, I don't see it as a positive thing if you can deadeye a shot but are completely defenseless.

Sounds like a great skill for a Sniper, though, or flying a starship through an asteroid field...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: “Concetration” power Reply with quote

leao wrote:

You really think so?>

1st combat is hectic, so that automatically makes it not a 'calm' period (its calm not angry the concentration skill focuses on)
2nd unless he is NOT having anyone shoot/melee/brawl him, and he is only making one attack (without having LS combat up or any other force skills active since keeping up a power is still an action), he WILL be doing more than 1 action a round besides the concentration skill.
3rd if he is basically using the force as a crutch, then several things will happen.
A) he won't develop other skills, so if ever cut off from the force will suck hind tit
B) will be sending out force ripples like crazy.. bringing those jedi hunting teams down on him hard.

Quote:
Yeah, as written it can be used just about any time... and I really don't like it
I tend to rule that it's a full round action and applies to the action in the next round. i.e. You spend the round Concentrating, next round you get a bonus to a skill roll.

I also don't tend to allow it for combat situations, not that making the whole thing take 2 rounds makes it very viable for combat

I have for a Jedi sniper.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: “Concetration” power Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, as written it can be used just about any time... and I really don't like it

I also don't tend to allow it for combat situations, not that making the whole thing take 2 rounds makes it very viable for combat

I have for a Jedi sniper.

I'd allow it for a sniper too. It's a different combat situation.

Honestly, though, I never had any issues with Concentration until I started playing here and on other forums. Seems people use it as a crutch a lot around here, to the point of abuse (imo), and it began pissing me off Razz Never even thought that it would need limitations or what have you before.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the SW gaming i did before i got into conventoin gaming/looking in on this site, most of the jedi i had rarely used concentration unless it was needed. Now a days it seems jedi wannabees seem to use it for everything they can...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a lot of ways, Concentration seemed to me to be nothing more than the way WEG explained Luke's torpedo shot in ANH. Based on what we see in the canon, I would do away with Concentration entirely and make what Luke did part of an expanded combat Force skill that allows the Jedi to use his Sense dice to provide bonuses to vehicle combat. After all, his only real training up to that point had been about lightsaber combat, letting go of his conscious self, stretching out with his feelings and acting on instinct. Doesn't sound much like Concentration to me.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely true. There was also Luke concentrating in the Wampa cave to use Telekinesis. There are also probable examples of concentration on Dagobah... but yeah, the trench run is a fine example of it.

Also, notice that in all these cases it takes Luke ~1rnd to stop what he's doing and concentrate on clearing his mind, then he attempts his action. It's not a quick activity.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So perhaps it can be 'rushed at the higher diff' like the raw has it if you are not calm. or you can do the 1 rnd to calm youself...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: