The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force power with 2 o 3 skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force power with 2 o 3 skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Force power with 2 o 3 skills Reply with quote

Hi!
My and my group remember a rule about using force powers that need more than one force skill, but we don’t find it in the RE.

The rule said that a jedi can activate even a part of the power. Example: LS combat activating only perception, adding dices to attack/parry but not to damage, suffering a -1D instead of -2D.

Is still there this rule?
Is it removed?

I’m going to use it anyway. What do you think about that? It is overpower?

Thanks
Twisted Evil _Leao
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of that.... but it is an interesting idea in the case of Lightsaber combat.

If you only add Sense to your Lightsaber roll I don't see it as overpowering.

Other powers might be difficult or impossible to use without all skills powered. I would probably say okay to Lightsaber Combat, but no to any other powers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it, whether 2nd ed, 2nd ed R&E or 1st ed.
Either you activate the power fully or not at all.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you have the time, you can skip MAPs altogether by rolling each skill in a different round (i.e. For Affect Mind, you would roll Control in one round, Sense in the 2nd, and Alter in the 3rd, and the power wouldn't fully activate until the final roll is completed).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have no other rolls in each round to make (other than init, and soaks).. I believe if you DO other actions, then maps accru for it.. just as if you were rushing it in one round.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Force power with 2 o 3 skills Reply with quote

Never heard of the rule. Sounds like a home brew to help starting Jedi.

May not be overpowered, but as we house rule LS combat different than the RAW wouldn't work for us. Agree with others that I don't see how that would work for force powers that don't split the effects by ability.
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As long as you have no other rolls in each round to make (other than init, and soaks).. I believe if you DO other actions, then maps accru for it.. just as if you were rushing it in one round.

Activating the power is not the mattar, we find useful later, fighting with LS with only -1D (by perception skill).

Thanks guys.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Force power with 2 o 3 skills Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Never heard of the rule. Sounds like a home brew to help starting Jedi.

May not be overpowered, but as we house rule LS combat different than the RAW wouldn't work for us. Agree with others that I don't see how that would work for force powers that don't split the effects by ability.

IIRC the rule book does allow you to either split the C/S, S/A, C/A, C/S/A force power up into 2 (or 3) rounds for activation at no MAP (as you would normally have 1 or 2 maps for activating a 2 power (or 3) skill), but you can instead do it all in 1 round, gaining the MAPS for it as normal..
BUT i could have sworn i heard/saw a rule that the 'splitting' up your skill rolls and having NO maps only applied if you did no other actions that round (other than soaking)... NOT even reactions.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Force power with 2 o 3 skills Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IIRC the rule book does allow you to either split the C/S, S/A, C/A, C/S/A force power up into 2 (or 3) rounds for activation at no MAP (as you would normally have 1 or 2 maps for activating a 2 power (or 3) skill), but you can instead do it all in 1 round, gaining the MAPS for it as normal..
BUT i could have sworn i heard/saw a rule that the 'splitting' up your skill rolls and having NO maps only applied if you did no other actions that round (other than soaking)... NOT even reactions.

I may have to reread the rules, but I've always interpreted it that if you are activating say a C/S/A power slowly to avoid MAPs the following would occur.
    Round 1, first attribute -0 MAPs
    Round 2, second attribute -1D MAPs (first attribute in effect)
    Round 3, third attribute -2D MAPs (two attributes in effect)

The Jedi can choose which order to activate or roll for the power.

A reaction roll (or other skill) being used in the round should just figure into MAPs normally, e.g. if you make the Force roll and then reaction dodge later in the round, no penalty to Force roll, but -1D MAPs penalty to the reaction dodge.

One other point: Rolling STR vs. damage is either a free action or not considered an action. It has no effect on MAPs nor do MAPs lower your STR roll.

EDIT Reread the rules. I was wrong on the MAPs while activating slowly.
    Round 1, roll first attribute no additional penalty -0 MAPs
    Round 2, roll second attribute no additional penalty -0 MAPs
    Round 3, roll third attribute no additional penalty -0 MAPs (Power is now up, from then on -2D MAPs as long as the power is up)

Although it does not clearly state it, MAPs for other actions still apply.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially thought that way too bren, but was proven wrong iirc by Grimace who quoted the page# and rule...
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I initially thought that way too bren, but was proven wrong iirc by Grimace who quoted the page# and rule...

Where? Tell me…
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did see the IIRC.. Let me PM him on the holonet (he seems to spend more time there than here.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leao wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Where? Tell me…

I checked it last night. I like to review the rules when discussing stuff on the Official Rules thread.

It's in the Chapter 9 on the Force in the 2nd Edition R&E rule book. Don't have the book with me but it is specifically mentioned with an example.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon.. got this from Grimace over on this sites sister, the SWRPGNETWORK Holonet..

Quote:
Yep, it's in the book.

Page 147 in the 2nd edition rulebook or Page 142 (very top of the page) in the 2nd Edition R&E rulebook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: