The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Intant reaction skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Intant reaction skill Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Intant reaction skill Reply with quote

Please help me out.

If my character plans to fire his blaster once in a round and nothing more, and then get fired upon after allready having fired. Of course he now wants to add a dodge even though it was not declared. If i remember correctly he can actually do a non planned dodge. How does that work? If he would have declared the dodge at the beginning of the round he would have a -1D Map to firing his blaster, which he now doesnt suffer. What is the drawback of these 'instant' dodges or are they at all possible?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are using reaction skills" then a character can either add a defenive skill during the round, when he is being shot at, or he can use the defensive skill in place of another action.

THe game effect is that it adds MAPs to any further actions as normal.

Yes, this does lead to a situation where the side that goes first can choose not to dodge and then declare "reaction" dodges to avoid the 1D MAP on thier first shots, but that tends to balance out over time, or at least favored the PCs since they tend to have higher PER scores, and so go first more often.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Assuming you are using reaction skills" then a character can either add a defenive skill during the round, when he is being shot at, or he can use the defensive skill in place of another action.

THe game effect is that it adds MAPs to any further actions as normal.

Yes, this does lead to a situation where the side that goes first can choose not to dodge and then declare "reaction" dodges to avoid the 1D MAP on thier first shots, but that tends to balance out over time, or at least favored the PCs since they tend to have higher PER scores, and so go first more often.

Ok, I hade a vague memory of there being some drawback to doing these 'reaction' dodges. It seems I was wrong.

We play by individual initiative (usually just the Per stat or sometimes we roll) so in our games one 'side' wont be getting the whole 'bonus' so to speak.

Another way of doing this, if one wants to have some drawback for these actions, to to have the Map remain until the round after the 'reaction' dodge. If one has actions yet not executed (as we play by initiative and number of actions) one HAS to switch a not yet performed action to a dodge.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us here have adopted a house rule that 'reactive' dodges gain an additional -1d penalty on top of any Maps.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Many of us here have adopted a house rule that 'reactive' dodges gain an additional -1d penalty on top of any Maps.

So, in my example above, the combatant would suffer no MAP to his initial shot, but a -2D MAP to his 'reaction' dodge later in the same round?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. And if in the same roud he noticed a second thug had closed in and was about to brawl or melee him, his parry for that would be at -4d (2nd 'defaulting' defense, so it gets the -1d map regular + the additional -1d penalty for not being declared.
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question came up for me as I was learning the rules and I attempted to clarify the use of reaction skills in this way:

Quote:
Reaction Skills

Reactions may be made at any time. If a character has an action remaining for that round, the reaction uses one action. If a character has no more actions for that round remaining, a reaction skill is rolled at an additional -1D MAP for that round and a -1D MAP is applied to the character's next round of actions.

At any time a character may default to a Full Reaction. If a character has already performed an action during a round that a Full Reaction is declared, all remaining actions for that round are lost and the character's next round is spent performing the Full Reaction.

Effectively, no matter when a character decides to use a reaction they are spending an action for it. Either in their current round of actions or in the following round, should the character survive so long.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquidsabre wrote:
This question came up for me as I was learning the rules and I attempted to clarify the use of reaction skills in this way:

Quote:
Reaction Skills

Reactions may be made at any time. If a character has an action remaining for that round, the reaction uses one action. If a character has no more actions for that round remaining, a reaction skill is rolled at an additional -1D MAP for that round and a -1D MAP is applied to the character's next round of actions.

At any time a character may default to a Full Reaction. If a character has already performed an action during a round that a Full Reaction is declared, all remaining actions for that round are lost and the character's next round is spent performing the Full Reaction.

Effectively, no matter when a character decides to use a reaction they are spending an action for it. Either in their current round of actions or in the following round, should the character survive so long.

From where is that quote?
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its my own reaction skill variant. I just used the quote tag to bracket it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i have seen one guy who made it progressively worse.. 1st non declared reaction was at std map. 2nd (like someone now is brawling) is at -2d, third (someone comes in for melee) is at -4d.
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right Garhkal, this version has the same effect. For each additional reaction skill rolled an additional -1D MAP would be applied (-1D, -2D, -3D, etc.). Additionally, all MAPs accrued from reaction skills used would then apply to the following round's actions.

For example:

Joe the smuggler took two actions this round for a total of -1D MAP to his rolls. After his second action, a bounty hunter takes a shot at him and he decides to roll his Dodge skill as a reaction. Joe rolls his Dodge at a -2D (-1D for two actions and another -1D for taking a reaction and not using a declared action for it). In Joe's next round of actions all his dice rolls will be at -1D.

In the following round Joe declares only one action (at -1D for the previous round's reaction) and takes a shot at the bounty hunter. A Rodian suddenly rushes out of a nearby alley and takes a shot at Joe with a blaster rifle. Joe decides to make a Full Dodge at -2D (-1D from the reaction penalty in the previous round and -1D for taking a reaction without using a declared action this round). Joe spends his next round doing nothing but Full Dodge, hoping his sharpshooting buddy on the roof takes the two goons down.

Thus a reaction skill use will always take a declared action from the character via a MAP penalty either in the current round (by using up a declared action) or in the following round. No freebies.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can one abort to a full dodge?
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How can one abort to a full dodge?

If a character has already acted in that round and decides to abort to a Full Dodge, they lose any further actions that round (if any) and spend their next round performing the Full Dodge (no other actions).

If a character has not yet acted in the current round and decides to abort to a Full Dodge then they lose all actions that round as they spend it performing the Full Dodge. The character may act in the following round, as normal.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but by the rules is you have already acted you cannot full dodge, only reactionary dodge (combat dodge).

And if they are spending the NEXT round dodging, how is that affecting the baddies shooting them THIS round?
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, that sounds rather counter intuitive to have it work that way. I just took the reaction skill variant and continued the concept on into Full Dodge/Parry. Well in that case, it might be best to leave Full Dodge/Parry as is per the rules. Thanks Garhkal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: