The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How Are The Jedi Overpowered?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How Are The Jedi Overpowered? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkeus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: How Are The Jedi Overpowered? Reply with quote

Hi everybody! This is my first post here so again, hello!

My question is this, I am thinking of running some Star Wars D6. The campaign I am envisioning would start in the Rebellion Era and extend into the New Republic. Thinking of letting the PCs have some effect on the way the war goes with their missions. It should be fun.

Anyway, I have some players interested in the Jedi (Of course, why would you not be? Well, I would play a Han Solo type myself before a Jedi but that is me.) but I keep hearing on various forums that Jedi become way too overpowered against regular PCs. I am just wondering in what ways?

It seems to me that Jedi, especially in the Rebellion Era, would have MANY different disadvantages to them. Beyond the Dark Side and having to have a teacher to learn new powers, they are to be killed on sight by the Imperial Army.

So I am just wondering since everybody here seems to be very knowledgeable about this game, how do Jedi outclass regular PCs? Is it over time or is it apparent from the start? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks ahead of time!
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes primarily in the forms of Force Powers I want to say.

I personally have never had a Jedi PC get so over-the-top that they were out of control power-wise vs the other chars in the party, but then they focused on upping other skills at various times instead of pumping all their CP's into the force skills.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedis cant really do anything Jedi-ish until they hit around 6D, so the road to Jedi-überness is long.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD is right, up until the Jedi have 6D+ in their various skills (Lightsaber, Control, Sense, Alter) they're completely vulnerable, on top of that, they need Lightsaber Combat to be able to disrupt game balance in any way. I had a Jedi die in the first combat of a game.

There are ways, that powers like "Concentration" make a Jedi able to compete in certain skills that other players spend their character points leveling up. But, then it's usually only a problem if you have players who like to whine.

If a player is playing a Jedi correctly, he should fit in perfectly. Just beware that the difficulty that you set in allowing him to learn force powers will determine how "over the top" he can become.

Just remember to include your non-force-users. Make it so certain things their characters alone are able to do (of course with the rest of the group).
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi are somewhat like Wizards in D&D 3rd edition. They start out far less powerful than the rest of the group and usually need to be protected but once they've got enough experience behind them they become significantly more powerful.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Jedi are somewhat like Wizards in D&D 3rd edition. They start out far less powerful than the rest of the group and usually need to be protected but once they've got enough experience behind them they become significantly more powerful.

That's probably the best comparision there is.

Best suggestion is simply limit what you let your Jedi learn.
Darkeus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

Yeah, this is Rebellion Era. Learning new powers will be difficult and of course, illegal. Smile

I don't have a problem with Jedi becoming strong myself since by that time comes, everybody will have their niche that they excel at. Luke Skywalker may be some bad-@$$ Jedi but Han Solo is who everybody talks about 8)
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are certain Force powers that make things easier on Jedi characters.

Concentration, if succesfully rolled, gives the Jedi a bonus 4D to a particular action in a round.

Accelrate Healing lets a Jedi make two natural healing rolls in a single day and grants +2 to their STR check for these rolls if it's succesful.

Enhance Attribute allows a Jedi to enhance a single attribute by so many D for so many rounds depending on how succesful it is (meet or beat the roll by up to 13 points and you get 1D bonus in that attribute for three rounds, beat by 14 to 25 and it's 2D for two rounds, beat by 26 points and above and it's 3D for a single round).

Reduce Injury allows a Jedi to reduce the severity of the injury suffered down to stun.

Remain Concious allows a Jedi to resist an injury that would normally knock them unconcious.

Resist Stun allows a Jedi to resist all affects from stuns save those that would knock them unconcious.

Combat Sense allows a Jedi to choose when they act in a round rather than having to roll initiative and it grants them +2 to their attack and defense rolls for ten rounds without causing any MAPs

Danger Sense gives a Jedi a round's warning. That is if a character is going to attack the Jedi in the next round, the Jedi get's to know the attack is coming.

Instinctive Astrogation allows a Jedi to plot a hyperspace course without using a nav computer.

Life Detection allows a Jedi to sense any sentient being within ten meters of them, and where they're located.

Life Sense allows a Jedi to sense the location and identity of a specific sentient they're searching for and how badly injured they are.

Magnify Senses allows the Jedi to enhance their senses beyond their normal levels for three rounds. Basically while it's active the Jedi doesn't need artificial instruments to aid them (like they can see things they'd need macrobinoculars or a microscope to see and hear things they'd need an amplifier to hear)

Shift Sense allows a Jedi to shift a particular sense in order to detect things that are outside the norm for them. Like being able to see in the infrared spectrum

Translate allows a Jedi to instantly translate and speak any language without haveing to know the language. Though it's much easier if they hear it first.

Telekinesis allows a Jedi to lift objects, including objects too heavy to normally lift without mechanical aid. All without having to touch the objects.

Lightsaber Combat allows a Jedi to increase their proficency with a lightsaber and to deflect and redirect blaster bolts.

Accelerate Another's Healing allows a Jedi to use Accelerate Healing on another character.

Lesser Force Shield grants a Jedi a +1D bonus to resist damage.

These are just some examples of Force powers granting abilities to Jedi that non-Jedi don't get. However, while this may seem to make Jedi uber powerful, remember that Jedi must meet the difficulties first. And in the case of multi-skill Force powers (like the last three), a Jedi must meet or beat the difficulty for each skill before they can even use that power.

On top of all this, there's the moral issues of being a Jedi. Any PC should be able to get Dark Side Points. But Jedi characters should be more likely to get DSPs than non-Jedi. So the Jedi needs to always be aware their walking the razors edge. This outweighs the uberness to me. And the more powerful a Jedi becomes, the more you may choose to make it easier for a Jedi to fall so that they have to even more be aware of how precarious their situation is.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkeus wrote:
Praxian wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

Yeah, this is Rebellion Era. Learning new powers will be difficult and of course, illegal. Smile

That is how it is supposed to be but from reading campaign notes, journals etc, it seems the number of Jedi masters who survived the purge, or the number of holocrons that are out there for the pc's to find and use to learn from, almost makes the purge look like it never happened..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

At least they are not like 1st ed Wizards. 1d4 Hit Points (1 Hit Point possible), no armour and Death at 0 hp can be a bit harsh..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Darkeus wrote:
Praxian wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

That is how it is supposed to be but from reading campaign notes, journals etc, it seems the number of Jedi masters who survived the purge, or the number of holocrons that are out there for the pc's to find and use to learn from, almost makes the purge look like it never happened..

Hmmm, what if that 'Holocron' in reality is a disguised Sith Holocron. How is the Jedi supposed to tell with no teaching in Jedi lore (except from the 'holocron').
Darkeus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Darkeus wrote:
Praxian wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

But I am in complete control of how much access my Jedi player has to those resources. I mean, in my campaign, the purge happened and happened hard. There are maybe five Jedi left in the universe (Just my guess) and two of them die during the Rebellion period. Then you add one (Luke). I understand what your saying but the material from the D6 Star Wars game is just guidelines. No campaign ever sticks to the book, per say. Smile

@ Hellcat: Yes, all of those powers are awesome and can make a Jedi strong with the Force. You are also right about overcoming the difficulty to activate the power and the added influence of the Dark Side.

Thanks everybody, keep it coming! I am a pretty experienced GM but I run Shadowrun most of the time so any help is appreciated with this game! Very Happy
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkeus wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Darkeus wrote:
Praxian wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

But I am in complete control of how much access my Jedi player has to those resources. I mean, in my campaign, the purge happened and happened hard. There are maybe five Jedi left in the universe (Just my guess) and two of them die during the Rebellion period. Then you add one (Luke). I understand what your saying but the material from the D6 Star Wars game is just guidelines. No campaign ever sticks to the book, per say. Smile

@ Hellcat: Yes, all of those powers are awesome and can make a Jedi strong with the Force. You are also right about overcoming the difficulty to activate the power and the added influence of the Dark Side.

Thanks everybody, keep it coming! I am a pretty experienced GM but I run Shadowrun most of the time so any help is appreciated with this game! Very Happy

One fun angle is to keep a few dark siders around. They were not diciplined enough to become servants of the Emperor, and also not powerful enough to become a threat so they were left alone. This can be a possible source of knowledge. The only problems will be to negotiate a deal for tutorship and then to avoid a DSP (I dont automatically give players a DSP from getting taught powers from a teacher with DSP. Its a Will of the Dark Side roll with the pupil resisting the teachers DPSs with his Willpower skill).
Darkeus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very interesting idea. I like that.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always fun to add sith spirits and ghosts. the power is tempting and they are hard to kill. our group (collectively) decided to make the force easier for jedi by making there be only one force attribute instead of three. so far it has worked and the most "overpowered" character is the mandolorian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: