The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Advanced skills at Character Creation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Advanced skills at Character Creation Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Advanced skills at Character Creation Reply with quote

Hey, I've got a new player that wants to be a medical school graduate/doctor. I think I have this right, (A) Medicine costs 1 skill die per Die and you need 5D in First Aid before you can put points in Medicine.

So my player's character sheet would look like this:

Technical 4D
-First Aid 5D
-(A) Medicine 2D

For a total of 3 skill points used.

And if I wanted to make an insane Sluissi doctor (Because I always have to take things to an extreme) it would look like this:

Technical 5D
-First Aid 5D
-(A) Medicine 4D
-(A) Medicine: Bacta Tank Operation 8D

For a total of 5 Skill points and 1 pip spent.

Or is it 2 beginning skill die per 1D in an advanced skill?

I've always felt it was just easier to buy a 2-1B droid, but what do I know? I'm just the GM. I'm not the one who wants to play doctor.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing drives me nuts, by the way. With the same number of skill points used I can make a sluissi with a 13D in a specialized skill which can lead to all sorts of fun and adventure hooks.

Or I can make a Sluissi master tech like this:

Technical 5D
-Starship Weapons Repair 9D
- Fire Control 13D
- Ion cannons 13D
- Lasers 13D
- Torpedoes 13D
- Missles 13D

And I'd still have a pip to toss into some other skill. Probably bring dodge up to 2D+1.

By the way, I love Sluissi for the 13th die. This is one of my favorite attribute configurations of all time:

Dex 2D
Str 3D
Know 3D
Per 3D
Mec 3D
Tec 5D

Just walking into the game he'll be one of the best space transport scale weapons guys in the galaxy and be sought after by tons of people looking to utilize his expertise, like businessmen, criminals and the Rebellion. Or, after a few missions and his rep gets out, I can throw a large bounty on his head from the Empire, which gets larger with each Bounty Hunter they toss off their trail. And imagine the mods he can do to a ship's weapons systems. Plot hooks galore!

No, my player wants a human doctor. She'll never get up to the (A) Medicine 9D of a 2-1B. The min/maxer and the GM in me are going nuts. But if it makes her happy and we all have a fun time, that's really what it's all about.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hve never seen a template or rules set that allows someone to Start game play with an advanced skill. IF i was to even allow it, it woulkd cost for each D of advanced skill you want, it acts like increasing it, costing double the number of starting D to purchase.
So that 4d tech, 5d first aid, 2D medicine (A) would have cost you 1d to get 5d in first aid, then 4d to get you 2d in medicine.
They would also take at least a 7k or more debt to show the cost of attaining that level of schooling.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced skills at Character Creation Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I hve never seen a template or rules set that allows someone to Start game play with an advanced skill.

From R&E: Chapter 1: Characters: Finishing the Template: Advanced Skills, p.29
Quote:

A character may have an advanced skill listed on the template. If your character meets the "prerequisite skills" requirements, you may put beginning skill dice in the advanced skill....

When a character purchaces an advanced skill, it begins at 1D.

There aren't any templates in the R@E that have an advanced skill listed on them, but there are some in other books (Heroes & Rogues comes to mind).

When designing a new template, it does state that the GM may cross off advanced or unusual skills, which means it is also possible to create a new template with an advanced skill (pending GM approval) according to RAW.
Kytross wrote:
Hey, I've got a new player that wants to be a medical school graduate/doctor. I think I have this right, (A) Medicine costs 1 skill die per Die and you need 5D in First Aid before you can put points in Medicine.

...Or is it 2 beginning skill die per 1D in an advanced skill?

There is nothing in the RAW that indicates a 2-for-1 cost at for advanced skills in character creation, but that certainly makes sense if a GM wanted to have that rule.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've overlooked the rule that states that no starting character may have more than 3 specializations. Nor can a starting character have skill more than 2D above the starting attribute.

Sluissi taking twice as long to repair things always made me wary of playing them, btw.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, IIRC you cannot add any more than 1D in any specialization at the time of character creation.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire and rerun got it. Technically, there's no rule preventing spending dice in Advanced skills... however, I never allow more than 1D allocation to them.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected Whill.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Gry's Alien Stats:

Quote:
Special Abilities:
Technical Aptitude: Sluissi receive an extra 4D beginning
skill dice, all of which must be placed in Technical. They may
place up to 4D in beginning Technical skills. Unfortunately,
whenever a Sluissi uses a Technical skill, the action always
takes twice as long for other species.
Story Factors:
Relaxed: Sluissi, in general, are a very calm bunch. Nothing
excites them. Their patience and seemingly inability to
get genuinely upset or excited sometimes infuriates other
species.

Taking twice as long with a technical skill adds a die to the roll. I've always played this as Sluissi always getting the 1D bonus. It goes back to their meticulous nature and their reverence of technology that borders on worship. The hard part is playing the phlegmatic snakes.

I'll have to look up character creation rules again to read through the minutia. I was sure specializations could be boosted up to 2D, though now that its been mentioned I do remember something about limiting the number of specializations a starting character can have. It's never come up before with people I was GMing.

Still hasn't come up from my players really.

For now I'll approve her for 1D in advanced medicine.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel it should require a cost / debt, to show their academic studdies..
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I still feel it should require a cost / debt, to show their academic studdies..

The Star Wars equivalent of the Hippocratic Oath would seem appropriate, too. "First, do no harm." Fun to RP, too.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the templates i made up was for a ship's doctor. Though he can learn combat skills, he can never kill or insantly earns a DSP. And he starts with 10k in debts to show case his schooling to get his medicine (A) skill.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through the 2nd ed R&E and here's the scoop:

You can put up to 2D in a starting advanced skill, just like any other skill. Which means a Sluissi can probably do 4D in an advanced tech skill.

There is no special restrictions on specializations. The text does say that a player can take a skill die and break it into specializations, but it doesn't expressly forbid, or even imply, that there is a limit to how many skill dice you can do this with.

I like the idea of giving someone 'college loan' debt in exchange for advanced skills.

I don't know of any explicit gameplay rules for Advanced skills that really make any of them worth pursuing. I always thought that was a flaw on the part of the creators, leaving it as a homebrew option.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I read through the 2nd ed R&E and here's the scoop:
There is no special restrictions on specializations. The text does say that a player can take a skill die and break it into specializations, but it doesn't expressly forbid, or even imply, that there is a limit to how many skill dice you can do this with.
I don't know of any explicit gameplay rules for Advanced skills that really make any of them worth pursuing. I always thought that was a flaw on the part of the creators, leaving it as a homebrew option.

I have always ruled that ONLY 1D of beginning skill dice can be broken into 3 specializations. (My GMs have played it that way, too.) Your mileage may vary.

The Advanced skills serve two purposes: they allow your character to do things that cannot otherwise be done. (Operate a Bacta Tank, perform surgery, implant cybernetics, engineer a starship, engineer a droid, etc.) and the best benefit is that they add to your prequisite skill when performing those actions. E.g. a character with 5D First Aid and 2D Medicine (A) rolls 7D when performing First Aid actions. Advanced training allows better ability in the basics.

This is why I rule that Boxing and Martial Arts are Advanced skills under Brawling... while Punch, Kick, and Bite are specializations for Brawling.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

I suppose this is a matter of interpretation. The rules say exactly this:
Quote:

Specializations
You can spent 1D of your character's beginning skill dice to get three specializations; add 1D to each specialization.

When I read the rule I interpret it to mean you may split only one die into three different specializations. Hence it says you add 1D to each specialization. The examples listed below do not include anyone adding any more than 1D to any given specialization.

However, without one of the original authors present, however, this may simply be a exegetical game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: