The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Going Zorro on someone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Going Zorro on someone? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Going Zorro on someone? Reply with quote

How would you handle it for a PC wanting to do a "Zorro" on someone, where they carve their initials either in the skin (face) or on clothes with a melee weapon (say a vibro blade or rapier)
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zorro attack of carving his initials into a wall or someones backside is more about branding the other person, not about wounding them. Since Zorro doesn't do this attack to kill, I'd make it a stun attack since every time I've ever seen it done the person usually responds by either running away or being disabled long enough for him to pontificate and then disappear leaving them very much alive.

Just my 2 cents.
Keith
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd treat it as a called shot. Probably using +1D to the difficulty for walls, doors, and maybe clothes and +4D to difficulty for cheeks or individual buttons. Laughing

For damage, I would agree with Bobmalooga that it seems like stun. Not a real wound.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cap damage at a wound, no more. Since it's being done with a blade, I wouldn't call it stun damage. I would give it a skill difficulty of +10 to +15 depending on whether or not the subject can defend itself or if it's helplessly disarmed and has surrendered. If doing it on a wall, I'd give it a +5 difficulty and leave it at that.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I would cap damage at a wound, no more. Since it's being done with a blade, I wouldn't call it stun damage. I would give it a skill difficulty of +10 to +15 depending on whether or not the subject can defend itself or if it's helplessly disarmed and has surrendered. If doing it on a wall, I'd give it a +5 difficulty and leave it at that.
I think the idea was that the Z was basically "just a scratch" and wouldn't rise to the level of woundedx1. But I could also live with roll the damage and cap it at max wounded. Otherwise your mechanics aren't too dissimilar to what was mentioned (+5 vs +1D) and (+10-15 vs +4D).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a related Q, what would the intimidation bonus after succeeding in this be?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think +5 is standard for pointing a blaster at someone... So maybe +10?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd up the difficulty as for a called shot, probably only +2D to the difficulty (which might already be high for a fleeing enemy) and if they made the increased difficulty then the damage is only cosmetic but if they almost make the difficulty (IE succeed on the hit but not the called shot) then they slip and roll damage as normal.

Most of the folks you're going Zorro on you're not trying to hurt for one reason or another, mostly you're trying to make them look stupid and yourself merciful in victory (thus reinforcing to the crowd that you're the good guy). A lethal slipup might quickly change the crowd's opinion.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Most of the folks you're going Zorro on you're not trying to hurt for one reason or another, mostly you're trying to make them look stupid and yourself merciful in victory (thus reinforcing to the crowd that you're the good guy). A lethal slipup might quickly change the crowd's opinion.

Very insightful, Esoomian. I fully agree and I like your proposed modification.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, making a Z with a rapier is one thing, its meant as a piercing weapon and 'cutting' with the edge wont really damage anyone if you are not going for the throat or something. However, I guess that isnt the case if you are using a vibro weapon.. A 1 inch deep Z cut into a body wont be comic relief...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I was thinking, making a Z with a rapier is one thing, its meant as a piercing weapon and 'cutting' with the edge wont really damage anyone if you are not going for the throat or something. However, I guess that isnt the case if you are using a vibro weapon.. A 1 inch deep Z cut into a body wont be comic relief...

I'd assume (or hope) that most vibro weapons have a higher difficulty to use than unpowered/static weapons so the risk of injury is already taken care of with the weapons own base difficulty.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

I'd assume (or hope) that most vibro weapons have a higher difficulty to use than unpowered/static weapons so the risk of injury is already taken care of with the weapons own base difficulty.

I wasnt aware of that..is that so?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure as I don't have any stat books with me but I have noticed that the simpler melee weapons (like the club and knife etc...) tend to have fairly low difficulties to use (generally easy) and the more complex melee weapons like flexible weapons and vibro weapons have higher damage and higher difficulty to use (often moderate to difficult).

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I can't say for sure as I don't have any stat books with me but I have noticed that the simpler melee weapons (like the club and knife etc...) tend to have fairly low difficulties to use (generally easy) and the more complex melee weapons like flexible weapons and vibro weapons have higher damage and higher difficulty to use (often moderate to difficult).

I looked at two swords, one had the easy difficulty and the other had the moderate. A vibroblade has moderate difficulty. The stats are not consistent in general so its hard to make an assumption.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the entries in question I can't really comment but given the fact that consistancy isn't alwasys a strong point with WEG I wouldn't be surprised.

To be fair some swords would be more difficult to use than others so it might just be an example of a weapon that requires a high degree of skill.

However I could be way off base, I haven't done an exhaustive study I just seem to remember that weapons that have a high damage output or compexity or multiple special features tend to have higher difficulties to use.

I'm actually somewhat surprised you haven't tweaked then entire system so that a weapon's potential damage output is related to it's difficulty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: