The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lords of the Expanse Box Set
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lords of the Expanse Box Set Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Lords of the Expanse Box Set Reply with quote

One of the last items I needed for the SW WEG RPG 2nd Edition was the Lords of the Expanse box set. I found it for a good deal today and decided to treat myself and picked it up. I have never played in the Tapani sector nor really dealt with the LOTE setting. How do those of you who have played it feel about it? Would it be a good campaign for some newer players, or is it a little outside the norm for a Star Wars story? I won't have it in hand for another week or so, and am itching to see its contents. The cool thing is that is brand new and has never been opened. Please share your thoughts about this campaign setting.

FYI
Still looking for
Galaxy Guide 11: Criminal Organizations
Gundarks Fantastic Tech: Personal Gear
Platt's Smugglers Guide.

and That is why you fail...

Last edited by GMgreatness on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done anything with mine, other than use the Tapani Instant adventures book for a couple of adventures in it...but having read it I can tell you that I really wasn't all that impressed with it. The house politics and set up reminded me of a rip-off that fell somewhere between Dune and Dungeons and Dragons which is funny in light of where the SWRPG ended up.

I've been curious to know if anyone has sat down and used it, I don't think that its ever come up in the EU novels that have come out...

Of the other books you're looking for, they're all good books and if you can't find them on Ebay or Amazon then you should try Dragonstrove.com, I've been dealing with him for years and he usually has a decent selection very reasonably priced.

Good luck and post your thoughts please!
Keith
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally like the Tapani Sector. It's got some nice info about the Rimma Trade Route in general, too... with tie-ins to the Bacta trade.

The set itself is best used if you like a bit more political intrigue in your Star Wars campaign. The manuevering and posturing of the Houses can be a fun backdrop for more clandestine adventures.

Oh, and I've used the Lightfoil as the starting weapon for many of my Force-using players until they build their own. Check it out.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
I generally like the Tapani Sector. It's got some nice info about the Rimma Trade Route in general, too... with tie-ins to the Bacta trade.

The set itself is best used if you like a bit more political intrigue in your Star Wars campaign. The manuevering and posturing of the Houses can be a fun backdrop for more clandestine adventures.

Pretty much this, although I've only got the players' book. But I think it's interesting and gives a little more texture to Imperial space. Not crazy about quasi-lightsabers, but it's certainly mine-able for ideas. Quite a few interesting templates too. If anyone finds the players' book somewhere for cheap it's worth picking up.
wmseith
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereever you found it do they have any others for a good price? Everytime I find it people want like 79-100+ dollars.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmseith wrote:
Whereever you found it do they have any others for a good price? Everytime I find it people want like 79-100+ dollars.

I think I got it on ebay... again it wasn't the box set just the players' guide loose. I think I bought it from the seller's store after I won an auction for something else, it was literally just an afterthought for me.

Box sets for most games are really high but sometimes you can piece together what you want for much less over time.
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it was the only one they had, and this was the box set. I paid under 25 bucks shipped, so yes it was a smokin' deal. I had the other two books in the setting, but haven't done anything with them but thumb through them. Thanks for the feedback. I think I may put LOTE on the back burner for our new campaign. The Black Sands of Socorro has always been a supplement i have wanted to use, perhaps now that we are done with the Kira System we will move in that direction. Any thoughts? Granted I write my own stuff but use the guides and supplements to help guide me and my story(before the PCs hack it all up to shreds.)

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the most I've ever used out of LoE is background info for either NPCs or Characters I've run. Although in an upcoming game I have a player who has a Tapani Sector background. For the most part, I tend to avoid political intrigue for my games, and I doubt I'll ever run anything specifically in the sector, unless my players decide to stop by for some reason.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase! I love all the Tapani stuff. It is so rich and interesting of a setting that is is very inspiration for all sorts of games. Even non-political ones. Well, if the adventures take place there then it's not really possible to totally ignore the political aspect but it is possible for that to be regulated to the background and only subtly influence the adventures. I've ran adventures that took pace there and also had many PCs and CGs with backgrounds tied to there. In my original setting under development called "The Whills Nebula Region" there are remnants of a couple noble houses that left the Tapani Sector in the past although they still maintain some ties there (allowing some adventuring possibilities for my next big campaign).

You should make Platt's Smuggler Guide a priority for your next purchase!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:15 am; edited 2 times in total
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Congrats on your purchase! I love all the Tapani stuff. It is so rich and interesting of a setting that is is very inspiration for all sorts of games. Even non-political ones. Well, if the adventures take place there then it's not really possible to totally ignore the political aspect but it is possible for that to be regulated to the background and only subtly influence the adventures. I've ran adventures that took pace there and also had many PCs and CGs with backgrounds tied to there. In my orginal setting under development called "The Whills Nebula Region" there are remnants of a couple noble houses that left the Tapani Sector in the past although they still maintain some ties there (allowing some adventuring possiblities for my next bog campaign).

You should make Platt's Smuggler Guide a priority for your next purchase!

If I could find it at a decent price, I would be more than happy to get it, however the cheapest I have seen it is 30 bucks, and that particular one is pretty beat up. I do have access to the content though. I really want Hideouts and Strongholds, I had it years ago, and it got damaged when my house flooded and I had to throw it out. Luckily out of my colection o 3 or 4 of them were on the floor(neatly stacked) when the flood happened. Sadly they were some of the books I used the most. I have replaced them all but that one. Let me know if anyone sees either Platts Smuggler Guide or Hideouts and Strongholds for a decent price.

GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played a small mission with new characters using the LOTE setting. It was fun, but I think the politics are a little above their ability to grasp as this point. We will revisit this campaign in the future.

On a brighter note, I was able to pick up a copy of Hideouts and Strongholds for a whopping 19.99 plus 4 bucks shipping!! I am a very very very happy GM!!!

Jame Rowe
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, or at least had, a copy. I took it out to look at it a few months ago and it's since disappeared.

Unfortunate; I liked it. Though I would like a copy of the Player's Guide too.
mastereji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Tapani Sector. It is rich and vibrant and I prefer to run it for my players when I'm running a Rebellion Era campaign. Though, it can be great for any era or campaign. The map of the system is neat and I use it regularly.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extra, unopened, in shrinkwrap LOTE boxed set gathering dust in my closet. What's a reasonable price for this? $30 plus shipping?
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a fair price. I just won the Darkstryder campaign box for .99 cents off Ebay!!! Now that is a steal!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: