The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vehicle Movement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Vehicle Movement Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Vehicle Movement Reply with quote

If someone's failed piloting results in a Spin, then they can't move this round and the next. Let's say they're moving at High Speed -- how does a vehicle just come to a stop because it loses control?

And how come someone performing a Full Reaction vehicle dodge can't also move? Seems strange, no?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spin out in a car and you stop (eventually....) and it takes time to get oriented and going again.

Is the WEG version realistic? No. Does it serve it's purpose? Yeah.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle Movement Reply with quote

pwcroft wrote:
If someone's failed piloting results in a Spin, then they can't move this round and the next. Let's say they're moving at High Speed -- how does a vehicle just come to a stop because it loses control?

And how come someone performing a Full Reaction vehicle dodge can't also move? Seems strange, no?

You have to interpret the results in the rule in according to the situation at hand. A spin would perhaps mean that the vehicle moved in a straight line and ended up in a random direction (still moving in the original direction though).

'Full dodge' for vehicles are a bit daft. I usually allow one 'move' for free when people are performing dodges (usually away from the attacker or in another 'defensive' fashion, ie not towards the attacker). This should be applied to vehicles as well.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't think you come to a stop but only that you can't call your movement. You keep moving but have no control of where you're going for two rounds. The way it reads to me is that you don't stop moving after a quarter move, you just spin out of control. So you could move in any direction just without being able to control the vehicle.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the full dodge, the reason a move is not allowed is the same for a full parry. All your attention is focused on doing that, yuo cannot control anything else.
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that all makes sense. Like someone said, it suits it's purpose, too. I think for a Full Reaction vehicle dodge, I can just describe it as the vehicle "juking about" without making any real movement.

For vehicle Moves, on a grid map, I'm thinking about dividing move scores by 2 (round down), then by 10 (round up), so that the Move scores are more playable on said map. Thoughts?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On the full dodge, the reason a move is not allowed is the same for a full parry. All your attention is focused on doing that, yuo cannot control anything else.

Yeah, but it makes more sense (barely) that you can hop around on the spot like a monkey on fire than somehow doing the same with a vehicle. I would actually not even allow a dodge if the vehicle is not moving (rather rapidly at that).
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many folks actually use counters and actually count-out movement and such for vehicle and starship combat? I'm struggling on what I should do.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use maps, minis or anything like that. I "fly by the seat of my pants" so to speak and use the distances as benchmarks for determining how far things are from one another and how far things go. But it's all done in people's imagination rather than on paper or a map.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcroft wrote:
How many folks actually use counters and actually count-out movement and such for vehicle and starship combat? I'm struggling on what I should do.

If there are more than say 1 squadron against 2 party ships, then i do... But i also like to just use coins, die boxes or other little 'tokens' on the table as is to represent where things are.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
But it's all done in people's imagination rather than on paper or a map.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcroft wrote:

I do, but I uusally set up a scale, and convent MOVe into spaces per turn, much like WEG does for starship movement.
Depending on the vehiles being used, I might set the scale to 50 or 100m per sqaure, and round off the vehicle movement rates, or even give a bonus sqaure or so. For example, if I was using 50m squares, and a vehicle had Move 160, I'd probably say it had a Move of 3 sqaures, and ingore the extra 10kph. Or I might give it an extra sqaure when moveing all-out.

The key factors for detmining a scale are relative speeds, weapon ranges, and the size of the battlemap.

Just how important accruacy is, depends on the relative speed of the vechiles used in the chase. Accruacy is only important is the relative speeds of the vehciles are close. For instance, if the Move 160 vehicle were in a chase with a MOve 150 vehicle.

That is true for running chases on a map in general. If one side or the other has a big edge in speed, then mapping it out becomes less importotant as the feaster vechile will be able to control the relative range. Eventually it turns into the slower craft being treated much the same as a stationary object with the ability to turn in place.
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided on dividing vehicles Moves by 20, and round off for "spaces". So, the 160 move vehicle moves 8 spaces.

That means each square is about 20m, I think.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcroft wrote:
I've decided on dividing vehicles Moves by 20, and round off for "spaces". So, the 160 move vehicle moves 8 spaces.

That means each square is about 20m, I think.

I suggest not tying youself to a set scale, but instead use whatever scale seems best under the circumstances. The 20m/space scale is fine for speeder bikes, walkers, and landspeeders, but you will have a hard time keeping airspeeders and starfighters on the map. AIf you keep it flexibly you can switch to a 40m, 50m or even 100m scaleas it asuits your needs.
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

I suggest not tying youself to a set scale, but instead use whatever scale seems best under the circumstances. The 20m/space scale is fine for speeder bikes, walkers, and landspeeders, but you will have a hard time keeping airspeeders and starfighters on the map. AIf you keep it flexibly you can switch to a 40m, 50m or even 100m scaleas it asuits your needs.

Genius, sir. I'm using it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: