The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Goal of the big baddie...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Goal of the big baddie...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Goal of the big baddie... Reply with quote

Ok first. I have one player on this forum, so 'Random Numbers' if your here Bug Off Laughing

I said Bug Off Evil or Very Mad

Last campaign one of my main nemesises was Inquisitor Tremayne. He was a very good nemesis with some modifications (Hes a bit of a pushover and just look at that 80-s hairdryer hair style).

So, again, the Inquisitorum will be appearing in the characters life. But since Tremayne is still hunting the players other characters his calendar is unfortunately full and hes not availible atm. So, two new badguys from the Inquisitorum steps into his shoes so to speak.
(Please note that both these exists in the EU but I have just borrowed the name and some inspiration from the 'real' characters).

1. Valin Draco. A rather straight forward combat oriented Inquisitor. A hardcore elite military with darkside powers on top. Think a 40K inquisitor without the shed-sized armour and youre on the right track (allthough he will be in some kind of bounty hunter-ish armor). His force skills will not be that high, but with a focus on combat. He is under the command of Mox Slosin. His first loyalty is to the Empire though, which may put his loyalty to Mox to a test in the future.

2. Mox Slosin. He is a High Inquisitor with powerful dark powers (as opposed to the 'real' Mox). He will have a special interest in Sith Sorcery, will not be very combat oriented, but instead focus on manipulation and control. His force skills are 'dangerously' close to Vaders. Normally he wouldnt be allowed to live by Emperor due to the risk of a challenge for power. However, the Emperor has sensed that ruling the galaxy is not Moxs fate or wish and is instead allowed to roam the fringe of the galaxy looking for Jedi and Rebels. Hes very similar to the 'real' Mox, dark skin with a long white beard.

Heres the twist. Beyond his quest to perfect and retrieve lost knowledge of Sith Alchemy I havent managed to come up with Moxs goal in life. It must be a reason why he wont turn the characters (among them two Jedi, one which could be considered something of a Prodigy if you look at Force skill level and age) over to the Emperor.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if Mox needs two force users that are untainted to sacrifice on some Alchemical alter to achieve perfect consciousness or something like that? Or, perhaps the secrets are held within an ancient temple that only one of the PCs can open, the only problem is, he's not sure which. What better way to allow him access to the secrets, then to trick the PCs into going there and opening the temple for him?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sacrifice could be an idea, allthough my players are not exactly untainted...(see atonement thread).

Im looking for setting up a conflict of interests between Valin and Mox, where most likely Valin will act against Mox for betraying the Emperor. I dont know if killing Jedi (instead of turning them over) is enough. Preferrable Im looking for a reason for Mox to keep them alive, perhaps working with them or forcing them do to work. The idea about a temple (or other place he cant or wont go himself) fits better then.

Any other reasons for cooperation (forced or otherwise) (except to together rule the galaxy that is..)?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a shared crash landing on a seemingly wild world? They need to work together to get off planet, figure out some way of repairing a ship or finding other means. If they've never directly confronted the dark sider, there's no way for them to know he's evil, unless he acts in such a way.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could be the mysterious beneficary for the group. Hiring them for bounties or what not. Getting them to do the jobs he can't get caught doing or down right can't do. Using the jedi to find jedi and sith lore for his own ends.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth wrote:
He could be the mysterious beneficary for the group. Hiring them for bounties or what not. Getting them to do the jobs he can't get caught doing or down right can't do. Using the jedi to find jedi and sith lore for his own ends.

Hmm, I like what Im hearing. Perhaps its for doing things that he dont want the emperors spies to know about (aquiring knowledge). Having the players be a part of catching a Jedi for the Empire would be a nasty twist indeed.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the PCs goals, outside of the usual overthrow the Empire thing?

If you can give Mox one or more goals that could dovetail in with the PCs goals you have your reason.

For example, le's say the PCs want to rescue a relative who is being held in a Imperial Prison. Let's say MOx would like ome infomration or artifact that the NPC could provide, IF he/she/it were free. So Mox helps the PCs to arrange the NPCs's escape and provides additional aid so that the PCs could locate the McGuffin for him.

Mox would rather have the PCs do this rather than getting the info through interrogation and letting Imperials retrieve the McGuffin, in order to keep it a secret from the Emperor.

What if Mox realizes how close he is to Vader's level of power, and is looking for something so he can challenge Vader for his position as the Emperor's Apprentice? Anything from a Sith artifact to a clone of Padme could provide a useful edge for a showdown with Vader.

If defeating Vader is his goal, then Mox could form a secret alliance with the rebels in order to destroy Vader. Since Vader seems to be tasked with hunting down the rebels, Mox could aid the rebellion in order to undermine Vader's position with the Emperor, making Vader appear less than effective.

Mox could then arrange for the PCs to get weapons, ships, sensitive info, aything needed to help make Vader look like an incompetent.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view of Mox is that to take Vaders place (you know, to together with the Emperor rule the galaxy) is not his goal at all. However, he could be on a collision course with Vader for some other reason. It could be enough that Vader think that Mox wants to replace him, which is usually the case when it comes to dark Jedis. This will probably forces Moxs hand as Vader will try to undermine Moxs position.

Mox´s Inquisitor 'henchman', Valin Draco, is fiercly devoted to the Emperor and the New Order. Obviously his position is not by chance. He has unknowingly been placed under Mox by the Emperor to keep an eye on the rather eccentric Mox. While not aware of any potential conflicts of interests between Mox and the Empire, he is a keen observer and looks for treason everywhere even if not alerted by any specific suspicions.

So, Mox confronts the PCs together with his bodyguard detachment and his 'pet' (A Barabel twisted by Sith Alchemy). But instead of the fight of their lifetime (which then would end rather soon) they get an 'offer' to cooperate.

I think the final goal will be some kind of Sith Tomb containing knowledge and artefacts. However, Mox still needs to obtain the last pieces of the puzzle to find out where its located. This involves sending the PCs to other secret Imperial installations to gather information. This will allow me to use several of the 'cool' secret fortresses and installations that the PCs hardly wouldnt know about otherwise. Perhaps even Mount Tantris.. Shocked
Of course the PCs will get help in the form of equipment and perhaps a (Sith) protective amulet for the Jedi. If this, and working with a Dark Jedi corrupts them and make them easier to turn, so much the better.
ClockworkCorsair
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're party is largely untainted and is the same one that contains two near jedi then why not have their mysterious benefactor show up just in time to save the day AFTER the two (or the whole group) have been infected with some kind of strange disease (aka sith alchemy) He wants to stick around and watch them but also wants to put them to the test to see how they perform. Its his pet project and your combat inquisitor may have been duped into believing it was the Emperors plan. After a while and the emperor grows impatient with the lack of results (body bags) the combat inquisitor grows suspicious of the whether the emperor truly implemented the plan.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my players will cross paths with a certain Starkiller I also have another approach why Mox would be interested in the players to begin with (even if he didnt know about one (it seems one player is dropping his Jedi character due to lack of inspiration. That Jedi is on a path to the dark side, so hell come back with an agenda of his own though...) of them being a 'jedi'. Mox is on a collision course with Vader as Vader sees in him a potential threat. Mox has learned something about the Starkiller project, but need to know more. When he finds out that the players actually have met (rather more like seen from a distance but he doesnt know that) he will be very persistant in seeing them somewhere private to find out more....from there he will 'develop' their relationship when he realises the usefulness of the group..
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Mox feeling uncertain of Valin, and having Valin strongly dislike Mox, and looking for ways to dispose of him. Mox catches wind and enlists the Jedi to help him destroy Valin, because he is an evil "Dark Jedi". Mox doesnt have to reveil that he is a dark sider or even force sensitive. He can manipulate them to do his bidding without the charcters knowing the whole time they are being used to further his purposes. So Mox benefits for the time being, and has two jedi he could bring in to the Emperor rather easily at some point, if the Emperor puts any heat on him. Sort of a cover you butt type thing.

So to the Characters the only known villian would be Valin, while behind the scenes, the crazy old man is the true mastermind.

and That is why you fail...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: