The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skip Ray Blastboats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Skip Ray Blastboats Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Skip Ray Blastboats Reply with quote

I wasn't really sure where to put this question in because it can belong in a few different sections. But I am curious how others out there run blastboats in their game. They have a very confusing stat listing, that can be interpereted a few different ways.

1. They are listed as Capital Scale (due to power output) so by the context of the rules they get an extra 6D to take damage but they are also 6D easier to hit but they are only like 25 meters long so that doesn't make very much sense.

2. If you forgo the whole capital scale thing and run them at starfighter scale they are as weak as a TIE fighter in the hull department. So they are not very effective in that use either.

Anyone have a good system they have come up with short of "not including them in the game" I do like the ships but they are very hard to deploy and use without players thinking you are out to get them.
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've never used on in a game (I had a character that wanted to steal one as a minor character goal, though), I always interpreted the capital-scale status of the Skipray as being that all the power that the 'Ray put out made it show up REALLY well on targeting sensors, and therefore easy to shoot.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good explanation. You can't really change the ship's scale without breaking the stats. You'd have to come up with a completely new set of stats if you want to change anything.

If that seems appealing to you, here's what d20 Saga converted stats would look like, Starfighter scale:

Hull: 7D+2
Shields: 6D+1

That's even more powerful than the D6 version...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just interpreted it that their weapon output is capital scale, but everything else is starfighter scale. But I don't have the stats in front of me to look at what the book actually says.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interpreted it to be that, if they were hit, they resisted damage as if they were capital scale. If they hit something with some of their weapons, they did damage as if they were capital scale. The rest of the time, for dodge, when rolling to hit...they were starfighter scale.

Worked pretty easily for me.
*shrug*
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Grimace's solution is the best one. Do everything by the book, just ignore the Dice bonus to hit the ship. Sure, it's a very powerful ship, but still feasible. And it's only just the main weapon that is Capital scale, the other ones are Starfighter scale.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I interpreted it to be that, if they were hit, they resisted damage as if they were capital scale. If they hit something with some of their weapons, they did damage as if they were capital scale. The rest of the time, for dodge, when rolling to hit...they were starfighter scale.

Worked pretty easily for me.
*shrug*

This was my take as well, and it's worked fine mechanically in my games.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
BreederofPuppets
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
And it's only just the main weapon that is Capital scale, the other ones are Starfighter scale.

Strange that the damage is capital scale, but the ranges aren't. More to the point, I would have thought the range would be near turbolaser ranges. But they seem to be normal laser range.

I was thinking these guys would make great long range artillery pieces in a capital ship battle. Fragile, but if they stayed at long range, they could hit a capital ship while remaining hard to hit (small targets at long range), and deal enough damage to matter. Instead, they are great at killing fighters in one shot, but still have get close enough to hurt a capital ship, weathering the fire all the way.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: on blastboats Reply with quote

I never really understood why this ship was supposed to break the mold so much... one would think there's a minimum size for the power plants needed to run all those weapons, and that it would be bigger than 25M or whatever the BB is. And hyperdrive, even if it's limited to "only" 4 jumps.

It seems like it could be the basis of an interesting alternate fleet concept- based on carriers with these things instead of ISDs. Kind of like the old Traveller battle riders, but in this case the tenders could stay in a fairly remote place- the blastboats jump away for their raid, and then jump back to the tenders to reload/refresh.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: on blastboats Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
I never really understood why this ship was supposed to break the mold so much... one would think there's a minimum size for the power plants needed to run all those weapons, and that it would be bigger than 25M or whatever the BB is. And hyperdrive, even if it's limited to "only" 4 jumps.

It seems like it could be the basis of an interesting alternate fleet concept- based on carriers with these things instead of ISDs. Kind of like the old Traveller battle riders, but in this case the tenders could stay in a fairly remote place- the blastboats jump away for their raid, and then jump back to the tenders to reload/refresh.

This is a really interesting idea. A Blastboat Carrier.
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how bad @$$ a blast boat carrier would be, I really do love those little guys. They are planning to give my players some wrath in my smuggler campaign
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just have to insert something like that into my next campaign. That would be a nasty little pirate group.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had used the B-12 Bacta transport as a Blastboat (also fighters/bombers/guntug) carrier.

Remove and refit the Bacta sphere connectors with Docking systems, add a few hatchling maintenance droids for rearming and repair and you got a carrier.
Tem_Starrunner
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked over the stats for the Skipray just to remind me what they were like. They're kind of reasonable only one weapon is capital scale as well as their hull and shield. Practicality wise they're really only good for one job disabling capital ships. Don't get me wrong they can hold their own against starfighters just fine, well better than fine. Scale wise when targeting a Skipray I always figured it was starfighter scale after all it wasn't any bigger than the YT-1300.

Hmm that Skipray carrier idea sounds pretty nasty
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Scale wise when targeting a Skipray I always figured it was starfighter scale after all it wasn't any bigger than the YT-1300.

It's more on power then size.
Lower power output power cores would make it harder for sensors to get a lock.
Heavy power output power cores would make it far easier for the sensors to get a lock.

Small slow transports should be far easier to hit with capital scale weaponry compared to small fast transports but they aren't, the same penalty is applied for both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: