The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Iron Hand replacement..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Iron Hand replacement.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Iron Hand replacement.. Reply with quote

Ok, in the official WEG book Mox Slosin travels around in his ship called 'Iron Hand', a Trenchant Class cruiser that I cant find much info about. 'My' Mox will be quite different from the official one, hes a force user to beging with, and also have a different agenda.

Now, Im looking for a larger ship for him, as he will need a larger, yet still mobile, base of operations. It must be large enough to accomodate at least one light freighter* and probably some support/assault craft as well (I really like gamma shuttles). Some troops are needed as well, but the focus will be on a smaller number of elite troops with some support vehicles.

The ship will be one that is used by several forces to better 'blend in', or at least not stand out like a Stardestroyer for example. So far the best idea I have is an updated and modified Dreadnought. As its an old ship it will not raise much attention (well, as little as a 600m ship can). It has one squadron of fighters and 9000 metrics of cargo which could be rebuilt into hangars. 3000 troops is more than enough. The only problem is its very large crew, but thats based on an old ship design. An updated version could have less crew.

So, what you think? Do you have any other suggestions for a good ship?

* Or similarily sized craft. Valin Draco is working under Slosin and hes flying the Scimitar (Darth Mauls ship) which I found out by chance and of course kept the idea.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have the pdfs, but have you looked at the corellian corvette. Ive always wanted to run a campaign where i gave the PCs a captial ship to run their operations from

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Caller

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Ive always wanted to run a campaign where i gave the PCs a captial ship to run their operations from

Feel free to give us a capital ship in the Fading Light campaign Very Happy

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
i dont have the pdfs, but have you looked at the corellian corvette. Ive always wanted to run a campaign where i gave the PCs a captial ship to run their operations from

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Caller

Actually Mox will probably have access to a modified Corellian Corvette, to even better 'blend in' when he wants to but still be able to deliver a punch..

However, his flagship will also be his mobile base of operations and hence need more hangar space and even be able to tackle some military mission on his own (like attacking small rebel bases).
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
vong wrote:
Ive always wanted to run a campaign where i gave the PCs a captial ship to run their operations from

Feel free to give us a capital ship in the Fading Light campaign Very Happy

We practically have one with that freighter! Thing is huge!

Donate to Ankhanu Press
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Darkstryder campaign and the Far Star in particular, it is a Corellian Corvette, and we also had a Gamma Class Assault shuttle during that time. i don't recall if it is given to you in the mission, or something we may have "come into" possesion of through our adventures. I remember it worked just fine size wise. The Far Star is heavily modified though.

and That is why you fail...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katana Dreadnaught only has a crew of 2,204 with slave rigging.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Katana Dreadnaught only has a crew of 2,204 with slave rigging.

When was the Katana Fleet built. Our game takes place around 1BBY.

Even without that droid-rigging a modernization of the ship would reduce the crew to a more managable level. It doesnt have to be 2200, just not the medium sized town of the original. If you compare to, for example the Tapani Assault Frigate at 750m with its crew of 3550, one could set the crew of a modernized Dreadnaugth at around 5000-6000. Still higher than some comparable ships to show its uneffective heritage, but at least more similar to modern ships.

While their at it theyll up the Sublight speed and hyperdrive. I think shields and weapons are enough for the task at hand. Perhaps switch the weaker more pointless turbolasers for starfighter scale quadlasers (or the 7D starfighter turbolaser from Tramp Freigthers). That way it will have some starfighter defence, and I can also let the ship hit the players ship without automatically blowing it to smithereens.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a modified Bulk Freighter like one of the "Action-series" of Bulk Freighters?

Talon Karrde's Wild Karrde was his mobile base of operations. I believe he had a small complement of starfighters and vehicles in its bays. Check out the Thrawn trilogy sourcebooks for more info.

Also, Omze's Incredible Travelling Starport is a modified Bulk Freighter. It's in Platt's Starport Guide.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
How about a modified Bulk Freighter like one of the "Action-series" of Bulk Freighters?

Talon Karrde's Wild Karrde was his mobile base of operations. I believe he had a small complement of starfighters and vehicles in its bays. Check out the Thrawn trilogy sourcebooks for more info.

Also, Omze's Incredible Travelling Starport is a modified Bulk Freighter. It's in Platt's Starport Guide.

Wild Karrde is a bit weak when it comes to weapons, even though its heavily modified I assume. Hull/Shield-wise its ok at 7D, but I guess the Space 6 also reflects a massively heavier ship with that hull. Also, at 125m its a bit small. I was thinking minimum around 300m. It should be able to work as a warship, and even though you upgrade a freighter I assume you cant turn it into a true warship without a complete rebuild.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I like the Dreadnaught, because it seems like an unlikely ship for a high ranking imperial but is still a sizeable warship.

Another ship with several affiliations is for example the Loronar Strike Cruiser. Perhaps its 'to modern' and not wide spread enough to be able to keep a 'low profile' so to speak.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered using the Nebulon-B Frigate? They're kinda a ubiquitous long-range patrol ship. (and a bit more iconic)

Big ship, but small crew requirements, has space for a starfighter complement and vehicles. And the best part is there's published deckplans for it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Have you considered using the Nebulon-B Frigate? They're kinda a ubiquitous long-range patrol ship. (and a bit more iconic)

Big ship, but small crew requirements, has space for a starfighter complement and vehicles. And the best part is there's published deckplans for it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that ship. Ill have to look at the hangar bays (if it has any). IIRC the Millenium Falcon had to use an external airlock to connect.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that ship. Ill have to look at the hangar bays (if it has any). IIRC the Millenium Falcon had to use an external airlock to connect.

I does have hangar bays and according to the capsule it's capable of carrying 2 full squadrons. You are correct about the external airlock for the Falcon. I seem to recall pictures in the Far Orbit Sourcebook that showed a couple of shuttles stored in the hangar in the engine section.

I need to look at that book again. Smile
remo moxey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about the Carrack-class light cruiser?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carrack-class_light_cruiser
350 meters long and a MINIMUMcrew of 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: