The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GMing Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> GMing Question Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: GMing Question Reply with quote

Had a situation occur the other night where one of our normal players was absent for the evening. The GM allowed another player at the table to play this character. A combat broke out and the missing players character charged into battle and got killed. I am curious what are some other GMs take on this. Is that in bad form or an acceptable practice?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GMing Question Reply with quote

adamlumina93 wrote:
Had a situation occur the other night where one of our normal players was absent for the evening. The GM allowed another player at the table to play this character. A combat broke out and the missing players character charged into battle and got killed. I am curious what are some other GMs take on this. Is that in bad form or an acceptable practice?

Bad form, indeed. What does the GM plan on doing with the character? Is your absentee player going to show up next time and get told he has to start all over again? Plus, what is the player going to do when he finds out that the GM did this? People can get very possessive over what's theirs, and a PC ultimately amounts to a player's intellectual property. I know for a fact that I would have some strong words to say if someone else got to use one of my characters without my knowledge or permission, regardless of whether the result was positive or negative.

Probably the best solution I have ever seen to this is when the GM keeps a copy of everyone's character sheets. If you or anyone else in the group is absent, he plays your PC as an NPC, keeping them in the background as much as possible, but the skills are still available for use in emergencies, and keeping story continuity intact.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the new player should play his own character, either make one or hijack an NPC.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GMing Question Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Probably the best solution I have ever seen to this is when the GM keeps a copy of everyone's character sheets. If you or anyone else in the group is absent, he plays your PC as an NPC, keeping them in the background as much as possible, but the skills are still available for use in emergencies, and keeping story continuity intact.

This is what I'll do. If I have a player who wants to play something then they get an NPC so that if said NPC gets maimed or killed there is no-one forced to start over.

Oh and yes in my book a stunt like that is bad form. When you're playing something that isn't your own character the personality is likely to be wrong and you're not going to be careful about it. My players deserve the right to get themselves killed not have someone else do it. Twisted Evil

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
And the new player should play his own character, either make one or hijack an NPC.

Absolutely. As opposed to lending the character out to Leroy Jenkins. I'd be pissed. And then use that anger to leverage the GM into giving me some specialized equipment and some more skill dice.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We frequently play games where all players are not present, its the only way to get sessions at all.

The general way of doing this is to assume that the character not being played takes a back seat. It can still work as support (Medic, Techie) if in a non hostile situation. Otherwise he will 'sit back' and play it safe.

I once had a character getting killed while going for pizzas, which sucked. It was one of my favourite characters ever (Ramires da Vincenza, a Tilean Highwayman in WFRP). So now I never put my player in the same situation.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do with a missing players character has bugged gms since gaming came to be. BUT at least for some other systems (such as adnd) it is a little easier, as you could have a magic item to take the character away.

For me when i gm, i as the player which they would rather.
Someone else taking over their character
me taking over it, or
no one taking over it, and the character going off on their own..Which does have its own sets of troubles. as not every time you have a player missing can they even do that.

IF they opt for someone else taking it, they still get full cp, but stand a chance of dying just as anyone else does.
If i take it over, they are ran as an observer using only protective/defensive/helping skills, earn only 1/2 cp, and only suffer death if that is what the situation calls.. eg someone shoots and wounds someone else, character goes over to medic them and gets shot, or if a TPK happens..
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see that a lot of other people feel the same way I do. A player character that is not present in my games always does background work and would only be put into harms way if it was a very dire situation. The player in question has refused to return to this game, doesn't feel like starting over, which I can't blame one bit.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately bad form, and can totally sour the game for the player in question.

What did the other pl ayers make of it ?

Is there any chance the GM can have it so the character was mortally wounded, but saved by some NPC's? Either returning to the characters, or in need of rescue?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, bad, bad idea for the GM do allow something like that. When I have players absent, the character melts into the background, providing real basic support when abosolutely necessary. Doubtful the character would ever get involved in combat and definitely never stick their neck out. Additionally, *I* always run the character when the player isn't there, that way if something goes wrong the player can only blame me and not the GM AND another player.

I can't blame the player one bit for not wanting to show back up after a stunt like that.

Also, be careful. If the GM does that for one person, they can do that for anyone else in the game as well, including you. So either talk this whole situation over with your GM so it doesn't happen again or find a new GM before it happens to you.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are still there, participating, but have script immunity basically... Thats what you are all saying?
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So they are still there, participating, but have script immunity basically... Thats what you are all saying?

Not entirely. I do the same thing, but if the PC group gets captured, utterly wiped out or blasted to bits aboard their starship, then the PC who wasn't there has the same thing happen to their character.

Essentially, the away PC moves from the foreground to the background. Kinda like how we always see Chewy, R2 and 3PO in a scene, even if the camera is focused on Luke, Han and Leia.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, we know you kill PCs right and left, garhkal. You don't need to remind us, defend it or act like we're all doing it wrong. Rolling Eyes

As Rerun said, as the group goes, so goes the PC who's player wasn't present. I just don't let another player play the PC and have them charge said PC into battle and let it die when, amazingly enough, the rest of the group chooses the wiser action and avoids death. The difference is giving a player a chance to play their character without having someone else kill it off vs. being a bad GM. That's what it is...bad GMing.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not present at the gaming session, that doesnt mean that your character is safe per se. However, he/she will take a back seat taking on a supportive role. This will drastically lower the kill ratio of said character, but you never know what will happen..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: