The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Costs for Advanced Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Costs for Advanced Skills Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Costs for Advanced Skills Reply with quote

How much does advanced skills cost to buy?

For example Medicine. When you reach First Aid 5D theres no point in raising it further until you have Medicine 5D if the skills cost the same..
(As you get to add your Med skill to your First Aid skill)..

Is this correct?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advanced skills cost twice as much per pip, IRC. And also take a lot longer to improve (time wise for training).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, most places i have seen (whether home games, OR con games), there is also a credit cost to learn that advanced skill.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Costs for Advanced Skills Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

For example Medicine. When you reach First Aid 5D theres no point in raising it further until you have Medicine 5D if the skills cost the same..

Is this correct?

Do you seriously not have Star Wars 2E, R&E? That's Chapter 1: Characters! Character Advancement, Improving Skills, Advanced Skills, p.34. Yes, it's double the normal cost.

Of course, it still pays to raise Medicine at first if you start low. With First Aid 5D and (A) Medicine 1D, it cost 2 CPs per pip to raise Medicine from 1D to 2D, and 4 CPs per pip to raise it from 2D to 3D. As opposed to 5 CPs per pip to raise first Aid to 6D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, you're almost right, except that after you get 1D Medicine, then you have to go 1D+1, +2, 2D, ect... So, it would be 2 CP to go from 1D to 1D+1, then 2 more to go to 1D+2, and 2 more would get you 2D.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Costs for Advanced Skills Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Is this correct?

Do you seriously not have Star Wars 2E, R&E? That's Chapter 1: Characters! Character Advancement, Improving Skills, Advanced Skills, p.34. Yes, it's double the normal cost.

Of course, it still pays to raise Medicine at first if you start low. With First Aid 5D and (A) Medicine 1D, it cost 2 CPs per pip to raise Medicine from 1D to 2D, and 4 CPs per pip to raise it from 2D to 3D. As opposed to 5 CPs per pip to raise first Aid to 6D.

Yes, I have the 'book'. Or to be specific I have a bunch of very bad copies of the book, which meant I missed the 'double cost' part.

(All my original D6 books are 'lost in time' somewhere, including a lot of my own material) Evil or Very Mad
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just happy I got it right. Very Happy
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Advanced skills cost twice as much per pip, IRC. And also take a lot longer to improve (time wise for training).

So basically, if you ignore the 'Training' part, its cheaper to raise the Advanced skill until your up at 3D when the cost is 6 CPs/pip.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disadvantage are that there really aren't that many advanced skills, and more often then not, it's meant to reflect years of training in a specific field. Medicine is a useful skill, however it's the GM's job to regulate whether or not a character can learn the medicine skill. In my games, Medicine can only be learned and raised by attending medical school, which is expensive, the character must apply, and depending on their background, may or may not get in.

Besides, the only reason to raise any advanced skill is for when you have the solo rolls of just it. For example, rolling medicine skill to perform surgery, or attach cybernetics. At 5D first aid, you can pretty much do anything in the scope of basic treatment.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So basically, if you ignore the 'Training' part, its cheaper to raise the Advanced skill until your up at 3D when the cost is 6 CPs/pip.

Essentially: yes. But ignoring the training really cheapens the process.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
The disadvantage are that there really aren't that many advanced skills, and more often then not, it's meant to reflect years of training in a specific field. Medicine is a useful skill, however it's the GM's job to regulate whether or not a character can learn the medicine skill. In my games, Medicine can only be learned and raised by attending medical school, which is expensive, the character must apply, and depending on their background, may or may not get in.

That and usually those with medical skills get backround checked by the imps, to prevent under the radar healing/cybernetic shops.... well in my campaign world.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That and usually those with medical skills get backround checked by the imps, to prevent under the radar healing/cybernetic shops.... well in my campaign world.

Mine too.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Costs for Advanced Skills Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Raven Redstar wrote:
Whill, you're almost right, except that after you get 1D Medicine, then you have to go 1D+1, +2, 2D, ect... So, it would be 2 CP to go from 1D to 1D+1, then 2 more to go to 1D+2, and 2 more would get you 2D.

No, I got it totally right. I said "per pip". We all know there are 3 pips per die in the progression of skills.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general we dont require training to raise skills, as we want to keep the campaign as fastpaced and fun as possible. We put all focus on play, and less on 'realistic' limitations on development. Also, I dont want to bog down the game with training sessions (bad experience from other campaigns).

The only thing so far that 'required' training was Force skills (or double the cost as per the RAW). Perhaps doing the same for advanced skills is the easiest solution.
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of that. We too do not spend time training for regular skills. But I think Advanced skills will require more time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: