The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ras77
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship Reply with quote

Hi

First time post. I have started running a Star wars game again after many years of having no one to game with when a chance conversation gave me the numbers I needed to run a game.

I have read the many examples of capital ship vs capital ship combat but cannot get my head around it so here I am asking for help.

I'm looking at running a privateer campaign based in the Minos cluster but all my players are new to the star wars d6 game so atm I am just giving them a gentle introduction and just enough rope to get them hooked he he he.

So if anyone could help me out with a example of cap ship combat I would be much in you debt.

Cheers

Ras
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news - if you can get your hands on it, the supplement Pirates and Privateers has a lot of the information you need.

More good news - Rancor Pit has listings of lots of ship stats compiled by Gry Sarth that are very helpful.

Bad news - the stats for capital ships seem a bid haphazard which makes detailed capital scale combat erratic at best. If you can treat the capital scale combat as a narrative device and role playing rather than actual rolling the dice it tends to work better.

Alternately you might consider running a group of starfighter scale ships. Those stats seem a bit less fluky to me and the players will have much more direct influence on the combat. Put them in a ship like one of the following (all of which are in the Starships_Stats_R&E_censored):

Sienar Fleet Systems Guardian-class light cruiser
Rendili StarDrive’s Light Corvette
Rendili StarDrive’s Imperial Customs Frigate
Sienar Fleet Systems Light Frigate
Kuat Drive Yards Law-class Light Patrol Craft
Sienar Fleet Systems Guardian 344-class Light Cruiser
Sienar Fleet Systems Light Patrol Ship

Using Starfighter scale ships would work well in Minos Cluster.

Alternately if you really want capital scale combat, I'd be inclined to use a Corellian Corvette. It is small and tough and pretty fast. It should be able to out run some of the bigger, slower ships, but is fast enough and tough enough to run down cargo ships.

Last edited by Bren on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship Reply with quote

Ras77 wrote:
First time post. I have started running a Star wars game again after many years of having no one to game with when a chance conversation gave me the numbers I needed to run a game.

I have read the many examples of capital ship vs capital ship combat but cannot get my head around it so here I am asking for help.

I'm looking at running a privateer campaign based in the Minos cluster but all my players are new to the star wars d6 game so atm I am just giving them a gentle introduction and just enough rope to get them hooked he he he.

Welcome to the board, Ras! If you're players are new to Star Wars D6 then I recommend that you do not start out with starship combat of any kind. That is not really a "gentle introduction" to the game. I suggest a simple adventure or two that focuses on ground actions to get the players used to the game (and that may help to reacclimate yourself since it has been many years). Maybe have one brief space combat scene in the second adventure, and build up to capital ship combat. Maybe you could even work that into your story for your privateer campaign.

Regardless of what you do, good luck for the game and please let us know how it goes!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the capital ship combat as a narrative or backdrop in the beginning. If they are in the position to command one, then keep all the firing and actual mechanics as a backdrop, but reward good thinking when commanding one.
Ras77
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suggest a simple adventure or two that focuses on ground actions to get the players used to the game (and that may help to reacclimate yourself since it has been many years). Maybe have one brief space combat scene in the second adventure, and build up to capital ship combat. Maybe you could even work that into your story for your privateer campaign.

What you said above whill is right on the money for my planning. Smile but once they actual get to privateer stage i would like my players to feel the action of directing laser fire on the prize ship and then boarding the ship.

Getting jump by imperial ship and have to run for it.

Cheers

Ras
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ras77 wrote:
What you said above whill is right on the money for my planning. Smile but once they actual get to privateer stage i would like my players to feel the action of directing laser fire on the prize ship and then boarding the ship.

Getting jump by imperial ship and have to run for it.

You could still have action without actually having to run cap ship combat... the PCs could be running a battery of heavy weapons (with you hand-waving the rest of the battle), and then have to fill in a boarding party because some of the other pirates are lost before the airlock is secured.

Good advice as always from everyone else; I highly recommend building up to the cap ship fighting. Like large-scale land battles, it's more important to make sure the players have roles and chances to do something rather than running a tactical war game. This way you just have to resolve the gunnery attacks rather than the entire combat, maneuvering, sensor lock on, etc. etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could go with them each being the 'officer in charge' for sections. Pilots for the bridge crew. gun bunnies in charge of weapons, medics in charge of the med bay, engineers in charge of the technicians... That way they can each still do something, AND get used to the combined action table, command skill, tactics skill as well as being used to having to care for others.
Ras77
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the line up is

Outlaw
Outlaw Tech
Bounty hunter
Brash Pilot
+ one more that didn't make the first game

I read some where on the forums on a way to using Combine action to resolve combat at least the players are making rolls and think they are contributing to the combat.

Unfortunately I'm still trying to get my head around it once i thing i finally have it nail i question myself because something looks wrong or something doesn't add up.

I had a Nebulon-b go against a Vic-sd with the first round of combat the vic-ds well lets say nuked the Nebulon-b. I would have supected that the Vic-sd would have been the victor in a few rounds but the first round?? This is where i think i'm doing the maths wrong.

Anyway if anyone can give me a example of the Combine action working i think I'm falling down on calculating armor but not sure.

Anyway if there is any typos or grammar just had a few to many
Dark-Stormy aka Ginger beer and Rum

Cheers
Ras
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum number of individuals that can combine action together, is based on the commander's Command skill die code. 4D = 4 max combined.

(This is non-official) Now, what you could do, is say that the commander's skill die code makes the max number at a time, but say for instance you have a gunnery commander per fire arc, they can have up to 4 batteries attacking together at a time, up to the max number in that fire arc.
16 batteries with commander at 4D command = 16/4 -> 4 separate rolls @ +1D each for either to hit or for damage. Just an idea to break it down without going too over the top. Or make it something like 2 individuals per die or whatever suits your fancy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wy i have always understood it worked was the commander orders his gunnery officers (say 1 per 4 batteries per arc), to coordinate fire. Then each officer in that arc orders (commands) the battery fire control officers (4) to shoot, then each battery shoots.. So if the commander fails his command, the gunnery officers still might make it. If one of those fail, then that group of batteries fires on their own.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the VSD I & II have weapons in multiples of 5 rather than 4, it is more convenient if they sometimes have Command 5D.

VSD I's are configured for planetary bombardment. VSD II's are configured for fleet action. If it was a VSD II rapid destruction seem quite reasonable. For simplicity I will assume the commanders make their roll.

VSD II
20 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 10 front, 5 left, 5 right
Fire Control: 1D
Damage: 7D
20 Double Turbolaser Cannons
Fire Arc: 5 front, 5 left, 5 right, 5 back
Fire Control: 2D
Damage: 5D
10 Ion Cannons
Fire Arc: 2 front, 3 left, 3 right, 2 back
Crew: 2 (2), 3 (2), 4 (6)
Fire Control: 4D
Damage: 4D
10 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Arc: 6 front, 2 left, 2 right
Fire Control: 2D
Damage: 6D

The Nebulon-B has Hull: 3D+2 and Shields: 2D for a total of 5D+2 protection.

Combined actions from 5 weapons gives a bonus of 1D+2 to damage.
Combined actions from 3 weapons gives a bonus of +1D to damage.
Combined actions from 2 weapons gives a bonus of +2 to damage.

If the front arc of the VSDII can fire we have
2 possible hits for 8D+2 (7D+1D+2)
1 possible hit for 6D+2 (5D+1D+2)
1 possible hit for 4D+2 (4D+2) vs. the hull only (ion cannons ignore shields)
2 possible hits for 7D (6D+1D) tractoring.

If all weapons hit, looking at the differentials we might expect 2 hits for 3D past soak, 1 hit for 1D past soak, and 1 hit for 1D past soak. With a bit of luck by the Victory or unluck by the Nebulon-B, a result of BOOM! does not seem unlikely.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
If you're players are new to Star Wars D6 then I recommend that you do not start out with starship combat of any kind. That is not really a "gentle introduction" to the game.
I started my player out with a heavy turbolaser blast passing so close to his Z-95 that the magnetic fields shook his hull. Sometimes you don't want to start them out gentle! I'd say it depends on who your players are. My player is my brother, who is taking ground school courses and has seen every episode of the history channel's Dogfights series. Fighter combat is his element, and he knows what he's doing with a bandit at his 3 o'clock and bogeys diving out of the sun. I'd say put your players in familiar territory for the first mission and expand from there. If they like naval combat and know what they are doing, then You could probably put them in a space battle, you'll just have to make sure they know how many dice they'll need to roll, and drop some hints if they don't seem to know how to operate a spaceship.
Bren wrote:

If all weapons hit, looking at the differentials we might expect 2 hits for 3D past soak, 1 hit for 1D past soak, and 1 hit for 1D past soak. With a bit of luck by the Victory or unluck by the Nebulon-B, a result of BOOM! does not seem unlikely.

I'd say that the concussion missile tubes on a VSD mark 1 could finish off a Nebulon-B in a turn, too. The Frigate doesn't really stand a chance against Star Destroyers up close. The bulk of its fighting power is in starfighters anyway.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I'd say that the concussion missile tubes on a VSD mark 1 could finish off a Nebulon-B in a turn, too. The Frigate doesn't really stand a chance against Star Destroyers up close. The bulk of its fighting power is in starfighters anyway.
I usually assume the missiles on the VSDI are for planetary bombardment and are not that effective at targeting moving ships and that the VSDII was designed for improved Ship vs Ship combat.

Also, I think the VSD carries 2 squadrons of starfighters as well, so a bit of a draw there with the Nebulon-B.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
I usually assume the missiles on the VSDI are for planetary bombardment and are not that effective at targeting moving ships and that the VSDII was designed for improved Ship vs Ship combat.

Also, I think the VSD carries 2 squadrons of starfighters as well, so a bit of a draw there with the Nebulon-B.

They were intended for planetary bombardment, but they work against capital ships too. I think there's 20 in an arc and at 9D damage, only one or two have to hit.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a Privateer Group Cap Ship Vs Cap Ship Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

They were intended for planetary bombardment, but they work against capital ships too. I think there's 20 in an arc and at 9D damage, only one or two have to hit.

Of course, if you are playing by the RAW, you also have to factor in the rules in the 2R&E sourcebook for hitting moving targets with missiles. With those in play, against a target moving fast enough, you may need a full barrage of 20 missiles from one fire arc just to get those one or two hits.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: