The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

how gun turrets worked in my game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> how gun turrets worked in my game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: how gun turrets worked in my game Reply with quote

i had a system for how gun turrets work in my games. i have not played in 10 years so if y'all have something better i apologize. it is heavily based on my experiences as an m1 tank mechanic and working with junkyard stuff later on as a diesel mechanic...

turrets always cost 1000 cred per ton of weapon in my game.
(a turret to hold a 4 ton laser cannon costs 4000 cred)

labor to install one is as much as the cost of the turret.
(the turret above would cost 4000 to install)

if you wanted a turret to hold more weight you had to rip it out and replace it.
(you couldnt put a 5 ton laser cannon on that turret)

you always could have a bigger turret than you needed for planning ahead for later.
(so you could put a 2 ton gun on the above turret)

turrets weigh half as much as the weapons they carry.
(the above turret takes up 2 tons of ship)

fire control works in 2 modes; emergengy and normal.

-normal mode the gunner moves the sights and the gun(s) follow the sights. the fire control computer comes up with a ballistic solution based on movement, range, etc and compensates. this is where the extra dice come from. a bright amber light labelled "fire control malfunction" will turn on if fire control is off-line. a character with a gunnery skill will know to flip the fire control switch to "emergency mode"

-emergency mode the gunner moves the gun with his controls and the sights follow the gun(s). the gunner has to lead targets and manually compensate for everything.
(emergengy mode has 0D fire control)

-upgraded fire control stuff exists, and can be bought. but it should be like 1000 for a pip, and maybe 3000 for 2 pips. id make it pricey to fix ,too.

Last edited by bobenhotep on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarthBukowski
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these rules. I always thought it was wierd that tramp freighters didn't include any rules for turrets.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made turrets in 3 different sizes and then differented between 'normal' turrets and remote turrets, in effect ending up with 6 different turrets.

-Normal turrets are manned by a gunner, the turrets of Millenium is an example of these. This means that the turret have to be manned to be used as a turret (the turret can sometimes be locked in a firing arc and used from the cockpit if gunners are not availible. The weapon then works as a normal fixed arc weapon). If manned by a gunner a +1D bonus to the skill roll.
-Remote turrets have gunners manning the weapon from a remote position, which can be the cockpit or a separate gunner position. Remote turrets take up less space (weight) and are mostly used on smaller ships. Remote turrets are also quite common if the turret is installed as a modification to the original plans, because of less need to rebuild the ship.

-Turret: Mass: 5 metric + 1/2 the weapon mass.
Cost: 4K+1K/metric of weapon.
-Remote Turret: Mass: 1 metric + 1/2 the weapon mass.
Cost: 1K+1K/metric of weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: