The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Users and Levels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force Users and Levels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Force Users and Levels Reply with quote

I don't know if this topic has been covered before, I did a search and looked over a couple of books, at what Die code is a force user considered a Padawan, Jedi Knight, Jedi Master etc. I also understand the additional training involved in reaching those classifications.

Are you able to become a Padawan when you have 3D in Sense, Control and, Alter? A Knight after 6D in those abilities? Master somewhere around 10D?

Did WEG address this or any fan made stuff?

Also what trials does a Jedi have-to over come to gain the next level?

Wookieepedia gives some in site:

* Jedi Padawan – an apprentice who began serious tutelage under a single Jedi Knight or Jedi Master. In order to graduate to Padawan status, an Initiate was required to be chosen by a Knight or Master and taken as their sole pupil. If a youngling was not chosen to be a Padawan by 13 years of age, the youngling was placed into another, lesser role in the Jedi Service Corps, or they could choose to leave the Order. Depending on where the student's talents lay, this might be the Agricultural Corps, the Medical Corps, or the Exploration Corps. Padawans who were of a haired species typically wore a long braid of hair behind their right ear. When a Padawan was elevated to Knighthood the braid was cut during the knighting ceremony. At least a few Jedi, though, were elevated to Knighthood simply by being told that they had passed whatever trials were considered necessary—most notably Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Vergere. Some exceptions of late acceptances to Padawan training were made, most notably in the case of Anakin Skywalker.

* Jedi Knight – a disciplined Padawan could become a fully trained Jedi once they completed "the trials." The known trials were, but weren't limited to: the Trial of Flesh, the Trial of Courage, the Trial of Skill and the Trial of Self (also known as "facing the mirror").
(Does anyone have specifics on these?)

* Jedi Master – a Jedi Knight who showed great understanding of the Force and managed to instruct a Padawan and train them successfully to the level of a Jedi Knight. This title could also be achieved through the performance of extraordinary deeds. Self-proclamation of the Jedi Master title was rare and frowned upon by the Jedi Council (for example: Jorus C'baoth and his unknown clone Joruus C'baoth).
o Councilor (or Council Member) – A very few Jedi were invited to serve on the Jedi Council, the governing body of the Order. The Council was made up exclusively of wise, experienced Masters. The only Jedi Knight to be sit to the High Council, Anakin Skywalker, was appointed by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, although he was not granted the rank of Master simply because of this. Ki-Adi-Mundi served as a Councilor while undergoing the process of becoming a Master at the time of his invitation before Anakin. The Council was made up of 12 masters, five of them with life terms (two of them designated as "senior"), four as long-term, and three short-term.

* Grand Master – The highest rank of the Jedi Order was that of Grand Master. Yoda was once the Grand Master, as was Luke Skywalker following the Swarm War.

Could some attach corresponding Sense, Control and, Alter Dice Attributes for each?

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Schrute
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly positive that Master status was reached at 10D in each of Control, Sense and Alter. Can't remember exactly where it came from but I'm positive it was from WEG source material. The other ranks, not sure. Padawan-ranking, I'm sure isn't covered in WEG because padawans didn't exist in canon until the prequels. But, if Masters are at 10D across the board, 3D across for padawans would probably sound about right, Around 6D for Knights, etc. However, there could be exceptions, and a staggered system, since the powers of Control and Sense are more greatly emphasized than Alter at the beginning of Jedi training.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I posted I hunted around for some more info, according to the The Jedi Handbook to become a jedi knight a skill level of 7D is required, 10D for master and 15D for grand master. The Jedi must also accomplish several Trails, such as:

Trail of skill:
The Trial of Skill usually consisted of a lightsaber duel with an adversary, or displaying particular skill in Force applications. The apprentice had to be sufficiently trained as a warrior, proving a working knowledge with the Force and basic mastery of lightsaber combat. Training for this trial was usually based on lightsaber combat training.

Trial of the Flesh
The Trial of the Flesh involved the apprentice overcoming great physical pain, hardship, or loss. It could also test the Jedi's mastery of detachment from physical pleasure and people.

Trial of Courage
To pass the Trial of Courage, apprentices would fight courageously in battle, complete missions with a low chance of survival, or defeat a superior enemy.

Trial of the Spirit
To pass the Trial of the Spirit, apprentices had to look deep within themselves, on a quest of self-discovery. Often times, apprentices did not like what they saw, and it could be a highly traumatic experience.

Other Trials:

The first was a test of the Padawan's knowledge of the Jedi Code. This was usually done periodically throughout the Padawan's training with the master asking the Padawan occasional questions until he/she had proven to the master a thorough understanding of the Jedi Code.

The second was the trial of lightsaber construction in which the Padawan meditated with the Force and constructed his/her own lightsaber.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that each level can be quantified by die codes. There were Knights during the Tales Era that would barely be padawans. I would say that trials and tests passed would move them up to the next level, not raw power. The way that you described would make Luke a Knight before he even faced Vader over Endor. He was powerful but had yet to pass his trial so I would think that die codes mean very little.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a Sith deals in such absolutes as a fixed die code you have to reach to "level up". The most I can say is that might be an average to each class. I would personally put a Padawan at around 1D-3D, a Knight at about 4D-6D and a Master at 7D-10D. Remember that it's normal and ok to have unbalanced force skills, so you could have a Master with 6D/9D/11D.

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for their inputs.... a great set of responses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: