The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Avalanches and cave ins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Avalanches and cave ins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Avalanches and cave ins Reply with quote

Has anyone seen rules for either an avalanch or cave ins? I am thinking of writing a new module where the baddie's lair is UNDER a snow peaked mountain. He would have 2-3 secret escape tunnels as well as his workshops, and the latter would have traps in to cave in the area on those attempting to steal his stuff..

I am wondering what to do if say the party failed to stop him getting out and managed to set off those aforementioned traps causing a large (140 by 100 meter area) cave in.. Or if while outside they use loud weaponry causing an avalanche?
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't seen anything official (but then i don't have many adventure modules). i'm not too sure about the cave in bit but for the avalanche you could use a difficult terrain check with damage based on speed and modified by the collision chart.
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Avalanches and cave ins Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am wondering what to do if say the party failed to stop him getting out and managed to set off those aforementioned traps causing a large (140 by 100 meter area) cave in.. Or if while outside they use loud weaponry causing an avalanche?

I wouldn't make such a large cave in. People cannot typically free themselves from a cave in - see mining accidents. Even if these people were PCs with blasters - the debris/shrapnel and the sublimating rock would certainly be lethal in confined spaces.
I assume since it's in (under) a mountain that the hideout is a large cave system (mined or natural) for the most part. Perhaps it would be better to have localized cave ins blocking off particular areas - not dissimilar to what was happening on Hoth during the imperial attack. If things go really bad have them get stuck inside and have to find a way to shut down the ventilation systems to crawl through ductwork and then outside.

Not sure how I'd handle the avalanche. Climb a tree and pray? Wink
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in a mine, I can say with more than a fair bit of certainty that a cave in of "140 by 100 meter area" would mean absolute, no chance of changing it, death to the PCs. Unless you provided an alternative way out, there's positively no way to get through that much of a cave in.

The thing that a lot of people tend to forget with a cave in is that its not just stuff "falling to the floor of the cave" that people can crawl over. Usually it's material for a few dozen feet or more ABOVE the area collapsing down into the area. So the "gap" could be 10, 20 or even a hundred feet "up" from the cave in area. It's like when you take the bottom pieces out from a Jenga pile. It's not just the one or two rows above that collapse down into the open space, it's the entire pile of blocks that collapse down. Now pack that into a tunnel and you can see how trying to clear out the rubble by hand is pretty futile. There would be hundreds or thousands of tons of rock in the pile.

So a trap designed to create a cave in is essentially a 100% death trap.

To the rules of a cave in, I've never seen one. The couple of adventures that have caved in areas just says "there they are". It doesn't provide rules for how it happened. The PCs just can't go that way. Period.

I've also never seen any rules concerning avalanches. Considering I also lived in Alaska, I know that avalanches move MUCH quicker than anyone thinks they do. You're not outrunning an avalanche, at least downhill. The only way to get out of the way of an avalanche is to run to the side and hope the avalanche isn't too wide or too fast and catches you before you clear from its path. Avalanches can happen just about any time if the weather conditions are right. Wet snow followed by cold dry snow and winds, followed by more wet snow = ripe avalanche conditions. They can happen from sounds, from winds, from vibration or "just cuz". If you step on the area that's prone for avalanche, it WILL start...no chance of it not happening. If you're below it and it starts, hope you can get out of the way. If you get caught by it, swim! That's what they say to do, is try to swim against the avalance.

Supposedly it's like being in a tumble washer when you're in it, but if you try to swim there's a chance you will "float" closer to the surface. Then, once you start slowing down, you're supposed to try to create a pocket around your head. When the snow settles, it basically cements you in. Unless you can create pockets around your head (to breath for a little bit) and your arms (so you can move them), you're basically stuck in suspended animation, unable to move including expanding your chest to breath. Most people don't die from avalanche injuries, they die from asphixiation. Those that happen to get found by people who happened to see the avalanche usually suffer from hypothermia.

So in eithe case: cave ins or avalanches, its generally a really bad thing. As with a cave in, you're not clearing much in the way of a fair amount of snow anytime before spring, as there's so much of it and its usually filled with lots of debris. So if an avalanche blocks a cave with people in it, chances are the people are in the cave until spring thaw.

If you don't want reality, then basically make believe that cave ins and avalanches are only Difficult obstacles to use strength or dexterity to get past.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I did not know much about either, other than what you see on TV or movies, which probably isn't always accurate.

I have a feeling I would avoid either situation as a GM, unless maybe my characters are trying to cause a cave in or avalanche. Being stuck in one sounds pretty much like the end of my characters.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cave in could be, of course, a way to MAKE the PCs take a particular path.

Or it could be a makeshift prison and the bad guy "rescues" them, right into a real prison.

Or to divide the group- again, there needs to be another way out. A cave in in a smaller shaft in a mine, if there are other tunnels, could only impede one's progress, in theory.

Just some ideas.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

As for the cave in, i was thinking more of it trapping them with enough air pocketing that they can slowly dig their way out but will be wore out, out of food/water, and easier pickings for when he comes back. Perhaps a 40x40 ares is better.
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As for the cave in, i was thinking more of it trapping them with enough air pocketing that they can slowly dig their way out but will be wore out, out of food/water, and easier pickings for when he comes back. Perhaps a 40x40 ares is better.

That is still entirely too much material for someone to move - even a small group of people. The simple mass of material involved in a cave in is much greater then most people think it is - tenns of thousands of tonnes of material even in a 40mx40m area - heck, even in a 10mx10m area there would be thousands of tonnes. And even if somehow you allowed the PCs to move all that material, moving their "pocket of air" along with them as they went, we're talking about something that would take days - or more likely weeks - to accomplish.
Its much more plausible to block certain paths with cave ins and have the PCs find alternate ways to escape then to trap them under 100,000 tonnes of material and say "dig".
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the base is under ground then they should have various digging implements on hand in case of cave-ins. they may also have some heavy machinery for digging out new rooms. you could always trap them in a room with some supplies, this should give the players enough to suspend reality and believe their characters could get out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: