The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

First time Adventure suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> First time Adventure suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: First time Adventure suggestions? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm going to be running a bunch of first-timers on Sunday and am just wondering if there are any particular adventures folks recommend for a group like this?

Needs to be for new characters
Needs to be short (<4 hours), but have at least have 1 ground combat, 1 chase, and 1 space combat
No "module specific" rules

I'm planning on stopping the action periodically and explain how I arrived at a difficulty number or how a particular mechanic works. (Oh, you'd like to take TWO shots at that stormtrooper AND Dodge? well, let me tell you about the Multi-Action Penalty...)

My focus here is more on giving the group a chance to learn how the system works, rather than in-depth character development & complex plot elements.

I seem to recall the adventure "Heavy Lifting" in the Instant Adventures book was pretty short, sweet and to the point. I had considered Tattooine Manhunt, but I think that'll be too long for the amount of time I have.

Any suggestions?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd Ed. has a fairly short adventure in it. That might be just what you're looking for.
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rebel Breakout" is a great 1st adventure. It's an easy starter game where the pc's are trying to join the rebellion. It's in the first edition Rule Book
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
2nd Ed. has a fairly short adventure in it. That might be just what you're looking for.

Are you referring to "The Pirates of Prexiar" from 2nd Ed R&E? If so, I'll have to check that one out. Thanks!
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKinley wrote:
"Rebel Breakout" is a great 1st adventure. It's an easy starter game where the pc's are trying to join the rebellion. It's in the first edition Rule Book

Sadly, I don't have a copy of the 1st Ed rulebook. Sad
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First time Adventure suggestions? Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm going to be running a bunch of first-timers on Sunday and am just wondering if there are any particular adventures folks recommend for a group like this?

Needs to be for new characters
Needs to be short (<4 hours), but have at least have 1 ground combat, 1 chase, and 1 space combat
No "module specific" rules

I'm planning on stopping the action periodically and explain how I arrived at a difficulty number or how a particular mechanic works. (Oh, you'd like to take TWO shots at that stormtrooper AND Dodge? well, let me tell you about the Multi-Action Penalty...)

My focus here is more on giving the group a chance to learn how the system works, rather than in-depth character development & complex plot elements.

I seem to recall the adventure "Heavy Lifting" in the Instant Adventures book was pretty short, sweet and to the point. I had considered Tattooine Manhunt, but I think that'll be too long for the amount of time I have.

Any suggestions?

Try the Adventure in Galaxy guid Scouts it has all of the above though, depending on your PCs it may need to be adjusted a little.
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem after running Star Wars for so many years is deciding whether or not to recycle any ideas, or try to come up with new ones all the time, even if I have new players.

Realize that there are only so many plot hooks in the universe. The L5R GM's guide lists 38 plots, and says every story in the universe is a variation of those 38 ideas.

The real key is tweaking the basic story idea to fit the players.

To a certain extent, when I approach a new group of players, the first few adventures are the hardest for me, because I can't go with with strict preparations. I have an idea for a time period, and a general idea to throw the players into, but I don't set anything into stone until I see what characters they create, and what direction they initially lean towards.

I'm putting together a new campaign where the PCs will be trained as Emperor's Hands, except they don't know it yet. They are just creating aspiring force users who haven't been trained as Jedis. They are people whom the Jedi rejected early in their life, but towards the end of the Clone Wars, the Jedi Order has taken heavy losses, and now they are taking a second look at these PCs, despite how old they are. They send a Jedi to round these guys up and bring them to Coruscant to begin training. Except while they are en route, Order 66 happens. A fight ensues on the ship as they are approaching Coruscant. The ship crashes, and eventually the PCs are recovered by Palpatine, who plays the role of the victim Chancellor.

He explains how the Jedi have gone power mad, and how they are enemies of the Republic. The PCs are to find holocrons, learn the ways of the Force to hunt down Jedi, etc. Then the players will be given the opportunity to embrace Palpatine's teachings and lean towards the Dark Side, or join the rebels and Jedi they are sent to hunt down.

I won't be able to really nail down specific adventure ideas too much until I have an idea who the characters are, what their goals are, and how they are going to lean.

So in creating an opening adventure, I start with a big set piece (battle on the ship, get the players comfortable with mechanics early) and then somewhat wing it from there. If I can improvise well in the first adventure or two, then I can build a very successful campaign in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: