The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scholar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Scholar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Scholar Reply with quote

Anyone ever even had this skill come in up play, or thought of a good use. I thought that it might be helpful for a character to find a teacher with the skill to help the teaching take down cost of CP to raise a skill. Example is that teacher rolls skill vs new level character wants and for every 3 pts teacher beats new level that cost is reduced by 1 cp or time is spead up to learn. Character then has to roll something like Preception or Knowledge to see if the absorb the learning to get the bonus. Not sure of all the fine details yet but just a thought that occurred to me. Anyone else aboard with the idea?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this skill come up all the time, it basically gets used to display/use knowledge that doesn't fall anywhere else. For instance I've had a character make up a disease to scare people using scholar: biology before.

It is worth noting that unless you have a sample of the disease using it as a way of scaring crimelords it's more likely to create a demand you can't fill.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it to represent knowledge of more obscure or in-depth aspects of a subject, or for subjects that don't fall under other Kno skills. It has its uses, but isn't generally a heavily used skill.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of it as "book knowledge". For instance, a person with high Scholar: Starfighter Engineering could tell you all about which system goes best with which fighter, how to get the most energy out of your power converters, etc. However, the related skill, Starfighter Engineering, represents the actual hands-on experience, making blueprints and modifying systems.

Also, like the others said, some skills just don't fall under anything else. Say a character was a professor of Philosophy at a university before joining the crew. The only skill applicable for Philosophy, in my opinion, would be a specialization of Scholar.

I think the core rulebook for the Second Edition R&E also talks about using Scholar specializations to give bonuses to related skills; for example, that person with high Scholar: Starfighter Engineering, knowing how things ought to work, would have an easier time actually moving the parts about, giving a bonus to his Starfighter Engineering or Starfighter Repair roll.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I dont remember reading that.

I use Scholar to give tips to the party about what to do next, or perhaps give them warnings about the path ahead (hints to make it easier on them)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with one use for Scholar, for my own rules- recognizing and knowing how to use an unfamiliar piece of technology (without taking the time to study it and experiment), and having a basic idea of its capabilities and limitations. I based the difficulty off of the item's Availability (higher numbers and restrictions increase difficulty), but some well-known items such as lightsabers don't necessarily fit with that.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What book is Scholar in, I have seen it on some home made characters on websites, but I have no ever seen it in a book.

Embarassed
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the Second Edition Revised and Expanded Rulebook. I'm not sure if it's in the plain 2nd Ed. or not.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not, me and my group have 3 copies of it and I've never seen it in there.

Thank you.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: