The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc. Reply with quote

Only one thread I could here has discussed this, and not much, so I wanted to revisit Control Pain and understand how it can help if you become Incapacitated or worse. The possibilities seem to be:

1. If you are Incapacitated, you can use Control Pain once you are awakened to resist the penalties.
2. If you are Incapacitated but already had Control Pain operating (e.g., were already wounded), it seems that you make a new check against Incapacitated condition to remain conscious and resist the penalties.
3. A GM might allow a Reaction Skill use of Control Pain at the time of injury to resist the penalties.

No. 1 and 2 seem to be the case, but if you aren't already wounded and Controlling Pain, then get Incapacitated, you are out of luck, unless #3 were allowed (though presumably as a later reaction, you will down some dice due to multiple actions, and hard to do this anyway often). I'm inclined to let people take a shot as under #3 (as noted, hard to pull off anyway). No. 3 seems reasonable because if you were already using Control Pain and were injured further, you make a new check immediately as well apparently. Alternatively, maybe this is some of the point of Remain Conscious (and in light of the issue below, maybe #3 isn't good)?

I'm also confused as to how Control Pain is useful against the Wounded Condition. If Wounded, you have -1D to actions. But if using Control Pain, you have -1D to actions (due to multiple action penalty), so why use it when Wounded since you get the same penalty? Therefore Control Pain seems useless for the Wounded Condition *unless* you don't allow #3 above, because if you were Controlling Pain while wounded and got further injured, you would at least have a shot to stay conscious if getting Incapacitated or worse.

Last edited by slaughterj on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that not already in the rules. You need to use remain conscious to stay up for incapacitated or higher, do you not?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Is that not already in the rules. You need to use remain conscious to stay up for incapacitated or higher, do you not?

Heh, we crossed lines as I made an edit above.

But Remain Conscious is a weird beast. It seems to be working *always* without an action in the sense that if the Jedi is ko'd, then they really are not (just lose their remaining actions). Then the next round comes around and they try to Remain Conscious (taking an action, and making a check) and presumably try to Control Pain (taking a second action, and making a check).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc. Reply with quote

slaughterj wrote:
Only one thread I could here has discussed this, and not much, so I wanted to revisit Control Pain and understand how it can help if you become Incapacitated or worse. The possibilities seem to be:

1. If you are Incapacitated, you can use Control Pain once you are awakened to resist the penalties.
2. If you are Incapacitated but already had Control Pain operating (e.g., were already wounded), it seems that you make a new check against Incapacitated condition to remain conscious and resist the penalties.
3. A GM might allow a Reaction Skill use of Control Pain at the time of injury to resist the penalties.

No. 1 and 2 seem to be the case, but if you aren't already wounded and Controlling Pain, then get Incapacitated, you are out of luck, unless #3 were allowed (though presumably as a later reaction, you will down some dice due to multiple actions, and hard to do this anyway often). I'm inclined to let people take a shot as under #3 (as noted, hard to pull off anyway). No. 3 seems reasonable because if you were already using Control Pain and were injured further, you make a new check immediately as well apparently. Alternatively, maybe this is some of the point of Remain Conscious (and in light of the issue below, maybe #3 isn't good)?

Remain consious and Reduce Injury are those whih are used to recover from incap. THEN when you are consious again you control pain to ignore the D penalties associated with it.
Or at least thats how i see it.

slaughterj wrote:
I'm also confused as to how Control Pain is useful against the Wounded Condition. If Wounded, you have -1D to actions. But if using Control Pain, you have -1D to actions (due to multiple action penalty), so why use it when Wounded since you get the same penalty? Therefore Control Pain seems useless for the Wounded Condition *unless* you don't allow #3 above, because if you were Controlling Pain while wounded and got further injured, you would at least have a shot to stay conscious if getting Incapacitated or worse.

Cause you can be wounded twice and have -2d to actions, which this ignores, or be injured (wounded) by some stuff that causes MORE pain than normal (more D penalties), which this would come in hand with. Though i do agree, if none of those come into play why take the 1d penalty for having CP up if you are still being at 1d off anyway..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
slaughterj wrote:

Cause you can be wounded twice and have -2d to actions, which this ignores, or be injured (wounded) by some stuff that causes MORE pain than normal (more D penalties), which this would come in hand with. Though i do agree, if none of those come into play why take the 1d penalty for having CP up if you are still being at 1d off anyway..

And Control Pain functioned the same way before the second Wound level and its -2D penalty became a rule...

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc. Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
garhkal wrote:
slaughterj wrote:

And Control Pain functioned the same way before the second Wound level and its -2D penalty became a rule...

I have noticed that, you get the same -D if you were wounded, or if you ignore it.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc. Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
garhkal wrote:
slaughterj wrote:

Exactly, so basically WEG "backed" into Control Pain having *some* use for Wounded conditions - Wounded twice that is - but not for the regular Wounded condition.

But interestingly, it seems almost better to be Wounded and having Control Pain up than uninjured, when you get straight-up Incapacitated, because it seems you can immediately and freely make a new Control Pain roll to stay up for the Incapacitated state if it is already active, but if not (i.e., if you were uninjured), you are either ko'd (if you don't have Remain Conscious) or lose the rest of your actions for the current round and waste your entire next round trying to Remain Conscious and Control Pain (if you have Remain Conscious). That doesn't seem right...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative is to allow Control Pain as a reflexive or reactionary skill use (affected by MAPs) when the character is hit and injured to the point of being knocked out (Incapacitated, Mortally Wounded)...

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Control Pain, Incapacitated, Wounded, etc. Reply with quote

slaughterj wrote:
But interestingly, it seems almost better to be Wounded and having Control Pain up than uninjured, when you get straight-up Incapacitated, because it seems you can immediately and freely make a new Control Pain roll to stay up for the Incapacitated state if it is already active, but if not (i.e., if you were uninjured), you are either ko'd (if you don't have Remain Conscious) or lose the rest of your actions for the current round and waste your entire next round trying to Remain Conscious and Control Pain (if you have Remain Conscious). That doesn't seem right...

It doesnt seem right that even though you should be bleeding to death on the ground you are instead standing and shooting back? I think that sacrificing a round is more then enough to sacrifice to not die Razz

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, but for me i would at least require them to possess both remain consious and control pain to get that reflex action..
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Very true, but for me i would at least require them to possess both remain consious and control pain to get that reflex action..

And maybe that's the point, Control Pain works somewhat, but you can get ko'd at times if that's all you have, thus you need Remain Conscious to cover the rest.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Control Pain is intended to have a lasting effect rather than being kept "up." The character uses it, takes the -1D multiple-action penalty for the round, and then ignores the wound during future rounds, until injured again. Unless I've misinterpreted it- I don't have my books, but I don't think it says anything about keeping the power "up."
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always rationalised it: that multiple action penalties apply only to normal skill rolls during a round while wound penalties apply to all rolls except those to resist damage. Initiative, for example, is impeded by wound penalties but not by multiple action penalties. As such, control pain does have some small effect even with wounded once results.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initiative will never suffer from MAPs because it is rolled before you decide how many actions you will take that round. It doesn't count as an action, it's just a check.

And DoubtBreak, from the power's description:
"The power can be kept up, so the character can ignore the pain of injuries for a long period of time."
It's stated quite clearly, "keep it up", which according to the rules implies a MAP. Quite frankly I think the way you stated makes a whole lot more sense.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

"The power can be kept up, so the character can ignore the pain of injuries for a long period of time."
It's stated quite clearly, "keep it up", which according to the rules implies a MAP.

Ah. My mistake. I wasn't sure how much of my notes on it came from the book, and how much resulted from my own adaptations. In that case, I agree that the power as written is basically useless against a single wound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: