The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

One more Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> One more Question Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCrazyDuro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: One more Question Reply with quote

Now i am a nooby Dm and i need help. Every thing the group faces doesn't seem chalenging. I need help because in Combat, Everyone is Dodge this, Parry That, and the enemies don't stand a chance, also with concentration none of the things the group does out of combat is diffucult. I know this sounds bad but i don't think i am doing a good job when everything is easy and i want ways to get around it. If i could get some help that would be Great.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For new GMs it can be extremely tempting to give out massive exp and cool items that give rather large Bonuses and PC seem to become quite the killer machines. There are quite a few ways you can still challenge them though, including:

- Giant beasts (Rancors i.e.)
- Jedi's and Sith's
- Coordinated actions

Coordinated actions can be especially nasty, as they can turn "simple" enemies like Stormtroopers into extremely dangerous killing machines, raising their skill in targeting and their damage by a huge amount. Make sure you have a backup-officer or two that knows how to command the stormies when the main officer gets taken out.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have beginning Jedi using Consentration a lot? What era are you running in? Dark Jedi can sense them if they have heavy Force use.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that Concentration is only easy if the Jedi is relaxed and at peace, otherwise the difficulty raises dramatically.

Besides that, overwhelming numbers always help. One on one your characters might have no difficulty, but if the odds are 3 to 1, then things can change dramatically.
OtterJethro
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read what it says about concentration, the book states "This power is only in effect for one round and may not be kept up." If the gys are trying to use it to do something that would take longer than 5 seconds, make them roll concentration every round. If they want to concentrate on opening a security door, pick how long it would take. If you choose one minute to overcome the security, make them roll concentration 12 times and the skill 12 times. Eventually they will get a one or poor roll and if they are in a hurry, they obviously will not be at peace. If he is trying to sneak somewhere, that could take some time. Again I would make him roll it a few times. You can make a house rule that once he fails a concentration roll, he can't try for 5 minutes because negative thoughts and emotions enter his mind which are too strong for him to simply clear out.

One key thing with jedi is to read why he force powers give them bonuses and use that to make house rules. Concentration says that it clears the Jedi's mind. Saying he can't try for 5 minutes seems reasonable to me and I always play Jedi. Another thing is decide on some skills they can't use concentrate on. I would tell them they can't concentrate on alot of the knowledge skills. Some guy comes along and he needs to roll languages, tell them he can't concentrate on that. He can't concentrate on con or persuasion. Those are more of a way the person carries themself. Alot of things you are going to need to sit around and think about. Think about how the power works and don't be afraid to tell them that you feel that clearing his mind won't make him a better swimmer or have more stamina.

You can always beef up the skills of the opponents. I don't think any of my gms have ever actually used the stats of those stormies in the books. They are low and easy. We had to fight guys who would hit us and I would need to spend plenty of char points to survive. Have the enemies set the guns to stun and when they wake up, they are in bonds or in some cell or something.

Obviously you have jedi, what are they trying to do. I play a jedi and we have gone to a galaxy far from Coruscant and are on a planet governed by dark Jedi who use dark jedi to establish rule. Anytime we see troops, there is always a jedi or 2 leading them and the Jedi tend to run in packs of two. I have to be careful about what I do so I dont have 400 dark Jedi hot on my tail.

Don't be afraid to make some npcs that are just better than your guys who come and force the group to go somewhere or do something they dont want to like a Darth Vader. Make the group run and think of ways to get around people.

My last suggestion would to find a few skills that none of them are good at and make them use those. If no one has good knowledge, make that hinder them a bunch so that they start spending char points upgrading some of those skills.

Just remember that it is ok for them to get hurt. Just make sure that if the shot they take would kill them that you suggest spending some char points.

GM "What did you roll for strength?"
PC "I got a 13."
GM "That sounds a little low, remember they are using blaster rifles and they do some serious damage."
PC "Then I will spend a char point... a 5, that makes 18."
GM " Ok, the hit knocks you back to the ground and your leg is pretty beat up but you know you are going to live if you don't take anymore damage. You are going to be at -1d to all your actions though."
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how experienced are the characters? are they beginers or do they have some experience under their belt? (aka do they have several of their skills bumped up a d or two)
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stun greades work pretty well, especially with co-ordinated action.

We had that issue with the jedi in our group. He'd put all of his experience into being awesome with a lightsaber so in combat he couldn't be touched but he sucked at almost everything else.

Doing the unexpected can always help. For instance flooding the area with ion bolts so that all of the characters high tech equipment (including things like lightsabers) shut down.

If that doesn't work then you could alwyas just make up enemies. I've always liked the idea of Cybernetic Esoomian shock troops. Start with 7D in strength then enhance them cybernetically to have 8D+2, train them in martial arts (Corsec rulebook?) and give them some custom amour. It's complete overkill and I don't think I'd ever really pull it out but it makes a nice idle threat.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
kyledon Mystic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

concentration can be used a lot and some players try to take advantage, if they are in combat or trying to be quick then the difficult becomes harder, and if they fail I always make the difficulty one level higher.

8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the combat front..

1) Surprise/ Have the enemy start employing ambushes. If the party does not notice them (opposed enemy sneak agains the pcs search or perception) then their first attack will be un apposed!
2) Combined fire... 4 enemy shooting as 1 adds 2d to the 'key stone persons' to hit pool... Also don't skimp out on allowing the enemy to spend character and force points..
3) Cover and consealment. Have the enemy use it, so they survive a little longer. This way by the law of averages, the players are eventially going to fail a dodge/parry.

For non com... In what era are you running? This will greatly impact the jedi..

As an idea, our group (SPARKS) at cons runs an ongoing D6 campaign, set prior to A New Hope, so that means the jedi purges are in full swing. When a PC activates a force power, if he hits above a certain target number, he has made enough of a 'wave' that the enemy knoiws of his position, and sends in a team to extract them.

Lastly how easy do you make it for them to train/find jedi teachers??
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Lastly how easy do you make it for them to train/find jedi teachers??

That right there is an extremely good point. You need to remember that without a teacher, it costs twice as much and takes twice as long to learn Force powers and up the Force skills. You can use that especially if all your Jedi characters are doing is upping their Force skills. Draw it out into a lengthy process, and even make it part of the adventure-something they're going to have to spend some serious time actually working on. Who knows? In taking that time they may accidentally use some other skills that they can then upgrade as well...
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what time are you playing? If during Episode 4-6 then there are only two masters. Obi-wan and Yoda and neitehr are available to the pc's as they are not the chosen one. Luke aonly becomes available as a teacher after episode 6 and then it should still be hard to get hold of him I mean he is famous and everyone wants to touch the last Jedi Laughing

Jedi powers are very powerful and the more cp's PCs get the more they will put into their force powers and the more disruptive they can get. Later as they get higher levels in Force Skills they can off course become teachers to each other, but once again. There is normally only a one way relationship - Jedi Master and Padawan.
K21DUBIE
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but remember as said the galaxy is a big place and the movies could be seen as just one perspective of this galaxy. So I think there may be another master out there who may not have even been part of the Jedi order.

Leave it to the imagination.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K21DUBIE wrote:
but remember as said the galaxy is a big place and the movies could be seen as just one perspective of this galaxy. So I think there may be another master out there who may not have even been part of the Jedi order.

very true, but each style would be quite different if not learned with the order.

aka Order of the White Current, Dathmor witches, so on and so fourth.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
awfulalex
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K21DUBIE wrote:

Yes that is true, but then they are ALIEN students of the Force and NOT Jedi. And that is even worse becuase if they follow a order that believes it is ok to use Force powers to hunt and kill then it should theoretically be ok for them to do.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i doubt it. evil is evil in this universe.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: