The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark side points and Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dark side points and Droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Dark side points and Droids Reply with quote

This might be a dumb question, but can droids accumulate DSP's. The game allows them to get Force Points.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunh. good question. personally id say a droid cant get force points. but if you can get force points, its only fair that you can get dark side force points. since you r not force sensitive, you cant turn to the dark side, but the more points you have, the more your reputation procedes you and people will start hating the site of you.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters, all the droids listed therein do not have dark side points, but many of the humanoid and other alien types do. So I suppose this falls under the old, "droids can't use the Force" creedo. Of course, if it were a PC, I might consider it personally.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Looking over Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters, all the droids listed therein do not have dark side points, but many of the humanoid and other alien types do. So I suppose this falls under the old, "droids can't use the Force" creedo. Of course, if it were a PC, I might consider it personally.

But if a droid can get force points, they are getting the "up side" of the force with no "down side" so i beieve if you can get light side points, you can get the dark ones aswell. but since you cant "turn to the dark side" there will be some other downside to having them.

PS, i as a player wouldnt, as droids you can BUY skills with credits, not just cp so they get balanced that way. no force, but purchaseable upgrades.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rules say that droid PCs do get Force Points, that's why I said that I would consider the same for dark side points. There are no examples of npc droids having either Force points or dark side points that I am aware of though.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2 and 3PO have force points (shadows of the empire sourcebook) Very Happy

Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might consider giving DSPs to droid characters as a means of keeping track of how dark their personality programming is only. They'd have no mechanical use, just a character reminder.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are quoted as being "special exceptions" to that rule somewhere, probably in one of the older books. They would be an example of a PC since they are main characters in the movies. Therefore, only PCs normally have Force points.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little snippet from the Rules Companion, Chapter 6: Droids and Equipment, pg 29.

vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess the same argument would apply for the dark side points Smile

Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That would make sense to me.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing a droid, and I would be really amazed if my wife (the GM) didn't give me several DSPs for doing something heinous like throwing a grenade into a hospital. Why not treat them like any other character? Granted we may be sacrificing a bit of realism, but if I was looking for realism, I'd read more non-fiction and switch to GURPS.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hunh. good question. personally id say a droid cant get force points. but if you can get force points, its only fair that you can get dark side force points. since you r not force sensitive, you cant turn to the dark side, but the more points you have, the more your reputation procedes you and people will start hating the site of you.

I was just curious, where does it say that non-force sensitive people can't go to the dark side.

I like everyone's input on this subject though. I would agree that if they can get FPs then they can get DSPs. But I have seen alot of droids that have Fps and don't have DSPs that should have them.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurvel wrote:

I was just curious, where does it say that non-force sensitive people can't go to the dark side.

You can see several long threads on that topic elsewhere in this forum, but that's people. The Force is an energy field that flows through "living things", and since droids aren't alive in the biological sense, that's why the Force generally doesn't apply to them. As for DSPs, for most droids, I would expect that the kind of behavior that would merit a DSP would be against their programming. Exceptions seem to be made for player characters, but that has more to do with game balance than anything else. All droids, no matter how intelligent or developed, are glorified power tools (within Star Wars canon). Tools do not have morals, the person wielding the tool does.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dark side points and Droids Reply with quote

nurvel wrote:
This might be a dumb question, but can droids accumulate DSP's. The game allows them to get Force Points.

Since droids normally don't get FP, then no. PC droids, since they DO get fp, imo would get dsp too..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: