The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Modification
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Armor Modification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Armor Modification Reply with quote

Would you allow someone to mod the Dex penalty on armor in order to reduce it? For example, a guy has Stormtrooper armor (which give +2D physical, +1D energy, and reduces DEX by -1D while wearing) and he wants to mod it out to reduce the penalty. I figured that I would allow someone to mod out the Dex penalty in the same way as moding the resistance, except that you can't do both. You can either mod the resistance or mod out the DEX penalty. What do you guys think?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short and to the point: I agree.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense...

You're allowed to improve armor by up to 1D+2 if I'm not mistaken for resistances....

Allow that to be a max... you can improve any aspects you want to a max of 5 pips... so... given the example...

you could improve physical up to 2D+2, Energy to 1D+1 and reduce the armor penalty to -1 pip...

*shrugs* If you wanted to go that route... Like Gry said: Yours is short and to the point. Stick to it if it works for you...
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep it simple for Star Wars. So do you guys think that one could modify the resistance and the dex penalty, or no?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible. After all, this is YOUR game. YOU make the final call.

If modding armor in that fashion is highly irregular, then you could allow it, but make it VERY costly. In fact, you could even make that an adventure hook. The characters need to take this mission that's dropped into their laps because it's gonna pay well and is relatively straightforward (or so it seems from the beginning Twisted Evil ), and will therefore provide a decent way for them to make the creds necessary to upgrade their armor.

But don't back down on the price. Either the armorer they go to is highly reputable, and therefore worth the credits (because he can command those prices), or is black market, (where it's illegal, and so who are they going to complain to about the price?) so either way you have them over a barrel. You're providing a way for them to get what they want, but in order to do so they're going to have to WORK for it and do what YOU want.

It's a win-win.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are specific armours that I've come across in official sourcebooks that mention in the armour's description that they are outfitted with servos to reduce/eliminate the Dex penalty, though I can't recall which (perhaps Bounty Hunters? I don't have access to that one anymore).

With that in mind, I see no reason why you couldn't do both... with the purchase of some costly equipment and a fairly difficult Armour Repair roll.

I wouldn't allow this fix for archaic armour styles (ie Coynite armour) though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRc there were rules in one of the crakken books for this... or was it gundarks...

Something about spending X credits per pip you wish to buy off, AND spending X cp.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will scour the books for the information on this issue.[/quote]
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IIRc there were rules in one of the crakken books for this... or was it gundarks...

Something about spending X credits per pip you wish to buy off, AND spending X cp.

I can't seem to find this ruling. Can someone help me out please?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through my books last night, but did not see anything...

IIRC of the ruling. it was something like 400 creds, per pip to be bought off for the first D worth, 500 per pip from 1d-2d, 600 from 2d-3d and 700 above 3d (though i don;t know of any armors with more than 2d+2 dex penalty). CP was 3 base, +3cp per pip..
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you spend CPs, does this mean you have to mod it yourself? And also, does this make the armor specialized for you?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurvel wrote:
If you spend CPs, does this mean you have to mod it yourself? And also, does this make the armor specialized for you?

Yes and yes...
Raiz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just simply look at Boba Fett's armor and think if it can be done without "modifications" Wink

In our campaign if you have good skill rolls you can upgrade every aspect of every modifyable item by 1d+2 "seperately". However the costs or required materials may be hard to acquire. Otherwise how could Boba would be able to build such a 4d armor ?!
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression was that any Die code can be altered, ie modified, on any piece of equipment. This includes equipment bonuses from scopes, sensor detection, armor values, Dex penalties, weapon damage, etc. But then again, I make a few concessions. I use the 1st edition starship mod rules as a basis. You want more armor protection? Greater Dex penalty or add a Dex penalty on a pip for pip basis. After all, the armor is being modified, not re-engineered. Better scope? Loose that quickdraw bonus. This way players don't get carried away unless they have some serious cash on hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: