The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Multiple action dice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Multiple action dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Multiple action dice Reply with quote

When someone is taking multiple actions, they lose the extra dice off of all of their skills correct? For example, Savaad, Jedi Knight, has 7D in Lightsaber combat, 6D in Control, and 6D in his Sense skill. If he were to take 3 actions (-2D) (Keep up Lightsaber combat/Control and Sense, and swing once) his skills would be 5D in Saber combat, 4D Control and 4D Sense correct. Which would give him and total of 9D to swing his Saber.

Fill me in if this equation is wrong.

PS IMC I actually allow Lightsaber combat to count as only one action once it is going. Makes for faster and easier gameplay.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always played that they didn't have to re-roll every turn to keep a power up. I would either let it come down naturally after a time or until the player was damaged or loses concentration.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the whole point of a power that can be "kept up" is that you don't have to roll for it every round. Once you suceed in activating it it remains "on" until you're injured or a specified amount of time has passed. However if you're keeping a power "up" then you are performing that action, even if you don't have to roll for it, so if you have Lightsaber Combat up, that's already 2 actions you're performing every round.

So, if you take a swing with your saber, that's a 3rd action, which means a -2D penalty. Now here's where things get a little muddled, people interpret the rules in slightly different ways. Using the stats of your character, some would add his Lightsaber and Sense together and then take subtract -2D, resulting in 11D, and some (like me) will subtract the -2D from both Lightsaber and Sense and then add them together, resulting in 9D, as you mentioned. I do believe the latter to be correct.

And just for completeness sake, the saber's damage would be 5D (usually) + Control (6D-2D) for a total of 9D.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with gry, -1d from all three skills, for keeping LS combat up, THEN another dice, for each attack you do, assuming you do not have to parry.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the example provided in the R&E it adds the lightsaber skill with the force skill and then subtracts the -2D.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look in the R&E for that example. I was just trying to make sure i was going about it the proper way. And by the way, I dont make people re-roll their Lightsaber combat, just put that in there for the example to be thorough. I think that gry answered my question though. Originally i think I was adding the sense and saber skill then subtracting, but one of my players was doing it the other way around (subtracting from everything then adding up.)

Thanks for the help guys. I love this forum page.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the example in the R&E and it only shows the multiple action dice being taken off of the Sense skill but not the Lightsaber skill.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, looking through it, the R&E example shows the MAPs being applied only to the Force Skills... Oh well, to each his own...

Just to make sure I checked the Tales of the Jedi power description, an what a jumbled mess that is! Not only is the example very vague about the application of MAPs (though it does seem to agree with the R&E example), but it states that Control should be added to the attack roll and Sense to the damage (though looking at the numbers, it seems they add Control to both rolls). What a mess... just disregard it.

The thing is, WEG never really figured out how to handle MAPs and Force Powers, in every other power you can find some strange contradicting thing. The biggest example of this is Control Pain. The example focuses on a Wounded character and states that they will ignore their -1D injury penalty if they can activate the power. However since the power must be kept "up" for this to happen, you would get that -1D penalty right back due to MAPs. We only use this power if we're Wounded Twice or worse....

Enhance Attribute is also strange. At the lowest success you get a +1D bonus for 3 rounds, but since you're keeping the power up, shouldn't you automatically negate your bonus?
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Enhance Attribute is also strange. At the lowest success you get a +1D bonus for 3 rounds, but since you're keeping the power up, shouldn't you automatically negate your bonus?

It isn't explicitly stated in the description, but I don't think Enhance Attribute is kept "up" like other powers. Unlike the other powers listed near it (specifically, Force of Will and Hibernation Trance), Enhance Attribute doesn't say "This power can be kept up." I checked in both the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook (pages 55-56) and Tales of the Jedi Companion (pages 44-45) and although some of the wording is slightly different, neither one has that statement printed under the difficulty (where it is for other powers). The best I've been able to come up with, is that the power gets used as a single action, and the effect lasts for the listed duration without requiring any concentration (in game terms, without being kept "up").
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Enhanced attrib is a use now, get benefits for X rounds... No spend to keep up. Now here is a kicker. Do you decide which 'improvement' level to try for, and then roll? OR do you just roll, and what you get above is what you get.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had considered this. Ok, so you don't have to keep the power "up" and so you don't lose dice, but what about the first round? The round in which you rolled the power? That's definetly an action, so does your bonus start to be in effect only the next round?
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup. Enhanced attrib is a use now, get benefits for X rounds... No spend to keep up. Now here is a kicker. Do you decide which 'improvement' level to try for, and then roll? OR do you just roll, and what you get above is what you get.

To me, it looks like a power that you can roll first, and then see what you get. I base this on Enhance Attribute only having one difficulty with degrees of success, rather than changing difficulties for different effects (as with powers like Control Pain, Sense Force, or Affect Mind). Personally, I would also go one step further, and say that if a character rolls high enough to get a +2D or +3D bonus with Enhance Attribute, they could instead choose one of the lower bonuses (with the longer duration) if they wanted it. But that's just me- I have no basis for that part other than personal preference.

Gry Sarth wrote:

Yes, I had considered this. Ok, so you don't have to keep the power "up" and so you don't lose dice, but what about the first round? The round in which you rolled the power? That's definetly an action, so does your bonus start to be in effect only the next round?

Oh right, yes, it's going to be diminished or canceled during that round, because of multiple-action penalties (an exception being rolls of Strength to resist damage, if that's the attribute that was boosted). I've been interpreting "duration" as "number of rounds after the round in which the power is used," and also giving the benefit for the rest of the round in which the power was used. The reason being, if a 1-round duration starts immediately when the power is used and ends at the end of the round, then you're not actually getting a full round of benefit and you're also not getting the full bonus because you had to take multiple actions. It's a generous ruling, but my players have never abused it (heck, they rarely even remember that the power exists). And with the power allowing a player to spend CPs to increase the duration (1 CP = 1 extra round of effect) anytime before the effect ends, I doubt that one extra round of benefit makes much difference.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Most gms i know do start the bonus ticker the Round following activation. Don't know if it is a house rule or something official...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: