The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Intimidation/Willpower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Intimidation/Willpower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Intimidation/Willpower Reply with quote

Does anyone else think these skills should be under the Perception attribute?

Just wondering. As GM, I don't use em too often, but I've always thought that being under Knowledge didn't exactly fit right. Seeing as these are more "Social" skills like con/bargain/command
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your point. Willpower always seemed an odd choice to me for a Knowledge skill, but I never considered Intimidation. Ok, let's have a go at it:

After some reflection, I believe both should remain under Knowledge. All of those skills reflect a large degree of factual basis, such as knowing the difference between alien species, which laws might apply, and how to contact the local black market. I find Intimidation falls under this categorization as one must actually know what is intimidating to certain species or individuals.

Willpower is still a tough fit, but I believe it was designed with Force users and resisting Force powers in mind. Force users seem like a fairly knowledgable bunch, in the tradition of the ancient samurai. Using this comparision, I believe both possess great mental discipline and thus Willpower is used to reflect that. It is also used to resist the effects of Intimidation and Interrogation, both of which can be somewhat mitigated by factual knowledge.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would posit that intimidation is really a matter of knowing techniques/ways to intimidate, knowing your oponent and what gets to them, etc. Yes, percieving and responding to their fears is a part of it, but if you're adjusting the intimidation as a result of your perceptions, it's probably lost alot of its strength already from a weak opening- 'first impressions' and sudden surprise have a lot to do with intimidating, so I think that the knowledge of technique and application would be key there.

Willpower does indeed also fall under the 'doesn't quite fit in either' category, and feels like it should be some nebulous power under a 'Spirit' attribute or something. But I think that, again, your general mental 'toughness' is often enhanced by mental disciplines techniques to resist telepathy, conditioning to resist psychic attack, etc. (think of Star Trek's Vulcans- their impassive emotional control is a result or learning and strict mental discipline, not an innate facet of their perceptions of the world or abilities)- thus, I think that, while it is not intuitive, Knowledge does end up as the most logical spot for both abilties, since learned techniques and mind games/metal disciplines- learned behaviors or understandings of psychology, telepathy, etc.- are key to both.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have put intimidation in perception, but interrogation as a different skill in knowledge.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned there are arguments for where willpower and intimidation belong. At the end of the day, I just leave them where they are to keep Knowledge from being a simple dump stat for action oriented characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: