The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Powered Armor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Powered Armor.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Powered Armor. Reply with quote

Can someone give me some help with this subject? I would like to know if there is an extensive explanation of Powered armor operation in any of the WEG material.

I figured Power Armor skill is used for Reaction and for movement rolls, such as running, and maybe even jumping.

I was reading the D6 Space Opera book and uncovered this:

The character would use exoskeleton operation (which is probably powered armor) for brawling, dodge, running, flying, or climb/jump actions.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most extensive explanation I found is in the 2nd Ed. manual (blue Vader cover).

Powersuit Operation (under Mechanical) deals with devices which enhance a person's natural abilities through servo mechanisms or powered movement. Frequently used for construction, cargo handling, and Zero-G Stormtroopers.

That's about it. I'd say any armor or suit that provides a movement or Strength (lifting) enhancement qualifies as a powersuit.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an extensive write-up (with a couple of suit samples and Doug Shuler illustrations IIRC) in one of the Adventure Journals which I unfortunately do not have on hand right now.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I think I have that journal. I have all of them except #7.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked into the Adv Journal with the Powersuit info, and it doesn't offer much in the way of actual usage.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you guys out there use Power suit operation?
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Powersuit operation instead of Running if the suit provides a high Move (e.g. Noval Garaint's Armor in GG9)

We also use Powersuit operation instead of Dodge while using heavy powersuits (the ones that seem more like vehicles than armors, e.g. Spacetrooper armor).
Maybe Powersuit operation could also be used with lighter armors (GM's appreciation)

And last but not least, we use Powersuit Operation for jumping quickly in and/or out of armor (the higher the result, the less time required)
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, When characters are into water (I know this is not the subject) I use swimming for moving or dodging actions.
I think it's fair to think that when a character is in a powersuit, powersuit skill must be used to roll dice when character try to move faster or dodge.
Of course dodge skill of a PC should be really better than powersuit operation skill thus the character can be hit more easily than without powersuit but in an other hand this PC is protected by the powersuit hull. The protection conterbalance the "poor" capability to dodge.

other argument: if we concider a powersuit like a vehicle (character scale), following standard rules all rolls for move or dodge must be done with corresponding vehicle skill. Thus character must use powersuit operation skill for a dodge action.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is something that should prevent for constant use of Powersuit Operations instead of Dodge : most of the 'light' powersuits are just servo-enhanced armors designed to not hamper the wearer. (no or low Dex penalty)

And I think such armors don't really require specific knowledge and or skill for normal use.

well, just my 2 cents Smile
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, you WOULD need special training to use something as simple as Smasher Armor simply because you have to become acclimated to the extra strength the suit provides. That extra strength would affect everything from combat to simply walking around. I think an argument could be made for making Powersuit Ops a Dexterity-based skill, but I don't think a character should be allowed to use the Dodge skill while wearing a powersuit. The difference is just too significant.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:
Well, When characters are into water (I know this is not the subject) I use swimming for moving or dodging actions.
I think it's fair to think that when a character is in a powersuit, powersuit skill must be used to roll dice when character try to move faster or dodge.
Of course dodge skill of a PC should be really better than powersuit operation skill thus the character can be hit more easily than without powersuit but in an other hand this PC is protected by the powersuit hull. The protection conterbalance the "poor" capability to dodge.

other argument: if we concider a powersuit like a vehicle (character scale), following standard rules all rolls for move or dodge must be done with corresponding vehicle skill. Thus character must use powersuit operation skill for a dodge action.

I agree. When in anything other than the character's skin, they use the piloting/operation skill for that item for anything related to movement/dodging , but would we require vehicular or some other armor weaponry like skill to use any weapons tied in??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: