The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Particle Sheilds?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Particle Sheilds? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Particle Sheilds? Reply with quote

So let me get this right..some pooper xwing pilot lobs a proton torpedo on a Star Destroyer with sheilds up. He's targetting the shield generator. He hits..because it's a physical weapon energy sheilds have no effect so instead of 7D + 6D + 3D (It depends if the shield operator has it all on one arc anyways) its just 7D + 6D the reason why..?? 5D HULL + 2D built in Particle shield +6 D modifier for 13D to resist correct? But if there was an energy weapon attack. The energy sheild would give a 16D 7D (5D + 2D) + 6D + 3D right?
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
No, Particle shields protect from all weapons except, and this is very important, except ion weapons.
Star Destroyer would have 16D(7Dhull +6Dscale+3Dshields) to defend against a proton torpedo, laser blast, concussion missile, etc, if the weapons are starfighter scale. If shot by an ion cannon, the Star Destroyer would have 13D(7Dhull+6Dscale) assuming the ion cannon is starfigher scale.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Accordding to 2nd revised and expanded..PG 126 Reply with quote

According to PG 126 and the essential guide to weapons and tech these are two sources that claim energy sheilds do not stop physical weapons and that particle shields are integrated with in the HULL.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me check.
Particle shields... I was actually thinking of combat shields.
Particle shields pounce space junk, and physical stuff off the hull. If those are lowered, say to launch a torpedo, the hull code drops by 2d.
Now energy shields are what I meant above, sorry about the confusion.
Now, it doesn't specifically say that ion weapons go through the particle shields, but a number of examples I've read say that they don't. So if your ship is hit with an ion cannon, you get your full hull code to roll against it.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: But what about? Reply with quote

What about if someone hits u with a torpedo. You don't get the combat sheild bonus do ya to resist??????
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of coarse you do. Combat shields are for combat. Proton torpedos are effected like every non-ion weapon.

worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: But it says Ray (energy/Combat) sheilds do not stop torpedoe Reply with quote

It says though that energy sheilds do not stop a physical weapon and that it will impact against the particle shields and hull and according to pg 126 The HULL code is made up of HULL and Particle sheilds. So in effect..HULL code would only be used to block a torpedo..it would go right throught the energy sheilds..thats what 126 says! Of course..I think thats dumb. But I want to get it right pertaining to technology in the STAR Wars Universe
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rules could be interpretted either way. It says that you have to lower your particle shields to fire a torpedo. It doesn't say you have to lower your energy shields, so one could argue that the torpedo must be able to pass through, or else you'd have to lower them to fire. It follows then that if the torpedo can pass through the energy shields when you fire, they wouldn't protect you from incoming torpedos, either. The rules don't specifically state wether or not torpedos pass through energy shields, so I think it's up to interpretation. I've always played that energy shields protect you against both energy and physical attacks, but after reading the rules again, I can see how it could be interpretted either way.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you reading Star Wars Revised & Expanded?
I am, and it doesn't say that on pg 126.
It states,
Quote:
Shields
Starship shields are electronic energy dampers which help absorb some of the damage from enemy attacks. Shields come in two main varieties: particle and energy/ray shields.
Particle shields deflect all sorts of physical objects, including asteroids, missiles and proton torpedoes. They are used at all times, except when a ship launches fighters, missiles or torpedoes (the shields must be dropped to allow physical objects to pass through them.) When a ship lowers its particle shields, reduce its hull code by -2D. (A ship which loses its main power generator also loses its particle shields.)

Energy shields are normally activated only in combat, and must cover specific fire arcs to be effective in combat.

Using shields is a "reaction skill." Each starship has a certain number of dice in shields. When a pilot uses shields, the shield dice must be split up among the four fire arcs: front, back, left and right.

The difficulty to deploy shields depends upon how many fire arcs are being covered:
-One fire arc: easy
-Two fire arcs: moderate
-Three fire arcs: difficult
-four fire arcs: very difficult

If the ship takes any hits from that side in combat, the ship gets to add those shield dice to its hull code to resist damage.

Oww, my hands hurt. I hope that's helpful.

worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Alright..I can see..what you guys are talking about. In the essential guide to Weapons and Technology it says that a proton torpedo passes through the energy sheilds and impacts against HULL and Particle shields. Thats where I'm getting my interpretation of the rule. If someone had'nt read the essential guide then they would obviously take your interpretation. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this book or other tech manuals that explain this. Thanks
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My good friend Sark has all those books. I haven't read through them, yet. Anything else while I'm here?

worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Yea.. Reply with quote

If it is true that combat shields protect from physcial..(the pirates example in the book says so..against asteroids..) that would be great. We do know that the planatary sheilds and Death STAR II sheild would vaporize or damage any vessels it would collide with..this is in the same book as well.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you clear now about shields, movement in combat, etc. Or do you need some more help?

worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Naw..I think I got it.. Reply with quote

I think I got it..thanks
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can particle shields be upgraded thereby increasing a ships hull rating without the timeconsuming and difficult adding of extra armour plating over the hull in a even manner to avoid problems of uneven mass and reduced ship responsiveness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: