The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage Types
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Damage Types Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That seems decent.. Though i don't remember any weapons currently, that DO entangle.. Got any examples from the books?

I only found these two in reup, but I suspect there are more;

AMPHISTAFF - the whip gives a bonus to entangle.
Net - has 4D entangle

I am working on house rules for equipment and weapons, plan on adding a few more;

Whipcord launcher - similar to boba fett's device.
An energy whip, which can also do stun damage (similar to a zygerrian whip)
Energy Net Launcher - from a few clone wars episodes.
High tech bolas (fun sci-fi weapon).
Tangler Grenade - again, another sci-fi type thing.
A whip - had one campaign where one player was kind of like a sci-fi version of Indiana Jones.
Webbing attack from spider like creatures.

Also, as part of my Force Power overhaul, I had added a few nature related force powers, around some more shamanistic force traditions, and one of those enables a force user entangle opponents with high grass, vines etc. in appropriate environments. Coincidently, my players are in an adventure on Rodia right now with some of that...
raithyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

So, as said above the basics are really just
Anway, the basics of it are that weapons do an entangle damage, which is resisted by Agility, then if failed, that also sets the difficulty of breaking out.

The rest is just using the language of my house rules to embed more effects.

Anyway - maybe some of this is useful, maybe not....

Thanks, pakman! Good thoughts. I started with separate Grappled and Entangled conditions that were pretty close to what you have but both come up so little for me that it didn't make sense to carry the extra cognitive load. That could easily change if one of my players decides they want a path for unarmed fighting. I'm looking forward to seeing your full rules!

garhkal wrote:
That seems decent.. Though i don't remember any weapons currently, that DO entangle.. Got any examples from the books?

I think the ewok net from Star Wars Gamer is the only official weapon that specifies entangle damage. There's a few weapons with "slaver" in the description that deal stun damage but have modified effects to simulate entanglement instead. There's also some equipment like Boba's whip that shouldn't do any damage, only entangle. I don't think that's mechanically modeled by WEG anywhere.

WotC spent a lot more time and ink on the topic with four different statuses for a successful grapple attack, which some weapons can do from a distance. That's a bit more than I want but served as a good reference alongside D6 Space when the topic came up in play. (You know, after I made things up on the spot then said is look into it further.)
raithyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I only found these two in reup, but I suspect there are more;

You beat me to it. I think the Amphistaff was a D20 conversion but might be wrong there.

Either way, your wish list is exactly the reason I ended up fleshing entangle damage out for myself and my players.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

Whipcord launcher - similar to boba fett's device.
An energy whip, which can also do stun damage (similar to a zygerrian whip)
Energy Net Launcher - from a few clone wars episodes.
High tech bolas (fun sci-fi weapon).
Tangler Grenade - again, another sci-fi type thing.
A whip - had one campaign where one player was kind of like a sci-fi version of Indiana Jones.
Webbing attack from spider like creatures.

Fett's whipcord launcher could be good to do.. Net launchers are a staple of MANY films such as from Arnies "The running man". Bolas, i'd LOVE to see them done, as i've had quite a few players over the decades, who would have LOVED To use them for non-lethal attacks at range..

pakman wrote:
Also, as part of my Force Power overhaul, I had added a few nature related force powers, around some more shamanistic force traditions, and one of those enables a force user entangle opponents with high grass, vines etc. in appropriate environments. Coincidently, my players are in an adventure on Rodia right now with some of that...

I could see that.. "Entangle" the D&D spell, can easily imo be ported into a naturistic force power.. Same with Web.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff in this thread!

Note on the force power - Garhkal - yes, similar to an Entangle spell from DND - again, I have a "Nature Mastery" set of force powers - from beasts to plants - to support everything from Felucian Shamans to characters like Ezra and even Kenobi who have some abilities with Beasts.

Back to Entangle....
raithyn is spot on in wanting to revise thigns, and yes - I do agree that having both Entangle and Bound might be too much for some folks vision.
But I did want to represent the difference between someone maybe just held up....vs. tied up? Heh.... have to be careful with terms!

Also agree in wanting it more simple than SWD20s grappling rules - which were way to complex. I found the later d6 versions (adventure, space etc.) were also slightly more detailed than I wanted for my game.

So, I kind of blended them along with trying to be as simplified as it is in DND5e (grappled and restrained) and Savage Worlds (a great system in which you can easily see the d6 influence).

Grappling is an opposed check - if successful, target is Entangled, if beat by more than 5 points, they are Bound. Escaping is another opposed check (modified by condition penalties for being Entangled etc.).

We all want something that if flexible to support a few different circumstances in play - yet not something that requires looking up charts and complex rules every time they are used.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binding someone, is more like having hand cuffs on, where as entangled is like in a net/whip in my opinion..
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Binding someone, is more like having hand cuffs on, where as entangled is like in a net/whip in my opinion..

This is why I was not sure on terminology for a while - as different terms implied meaning (or casualty).

The point is wanting two levels instead of one (a whipcord around the arm, or around the body.... or a net just catching an arm and shoulder, verses being caught up with a hungry wookie on endor....).

- so what to call them?

Could have easily called them "mildly entangled" and "heavy entangle", held and restrained, caught and really caught, or even Grab and Pin.

My terms are designed to two levels with consistent rules, yet have a number of different effects (that way you don't repeat the rules on every net, whip, monster with tentacles, pinchers, or 4 armed beast...).

So - for some groups - one level of ....limited in movement and actions due to something got you, or two levels - whatever works for them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m AFKRN so I can’t provide the page reference, but there is a section in D6 Space that deals with different combat effects.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I’m AFKRN so I can’t provide the page reference, but there is a section in D6 Space that deals with different combat effects.

They have a chart of misc damage (p75) but that is more about other damage sources (and is in reup, I think). Falling damage, fire etc.

Their rules on entangle, called shots etc. some are vague, and some are very detailed....almost too much so (their grappling IMHO). Starts around page 80.

in fact - it looks like the entangle entry in reup - comes directly from D6 space/adventure.

(I just finished my section on combat options - a lot of that was taken from space/adventure/reup/savage worlds/mythicd6).
raithyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that REUP lifts Space's grapple text whole cloth. I spent way too long trying to figure out what Star Wars rulebook it was from. I'm also in agreement that there's a weird dichotomy of things that are hyper detailed and things that are super vague in D6 Space. I'm not sure if other Open D6 books fill in the gaps or what. I'm interested to see what makes it into the upcoming version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: