The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disruptur, Sonic and Flame Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Disruptur, Sonic and Flame Weapons Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Disruptur, Sonic and Flame Weapons Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions:

1) I have read that disruptor weapons are illegal (even more than blasters) and they are very deadly because they "disrupt" the atomicbonds of the target. But the weapon stats of a disruptor shows only a mere 4d to 6d damage value (comparable to a blaster). So how is the "deadliness" of the disruptor expressed? Do they ignore armor, your strength roll?

2) How do Sonic weapons deal damage? I mean do they ignore armor or vs. energy/physical bonus? Or if you have a sealed helmet like a stormtrooper aren't you affected at all?

3) When you roll your strength against the damage of a flame weapon, you add your energy armor bonus right?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) it's largely fluff text. It's the excruciating pain associated with being broken down at the molecular level that bumps them into the illegal.

2) Again, it's largely narrative, rather than mechanical. Sonic damage is kinda like disuption, in that it essentially shakes the target to death... has nothing to do with hearing. The only way that it would be blocked is to have some sort of sound dampening/canceling effect, which would probably be a powered system.

3) yeah, energy rating.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flame weapons, i asked about that in regard to it being absorbed by Ab/Dis energy, and in all the films where fire was used (well the one) we saw the jedi who got hit by flame have to doff his clothing (mace windu) so he does not get burned, which to me suggests it is physical damage, not energy for armor purposes.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use the Force to deal with fire when you can just avoid it?
There's a lava dragon or something that lives in, well, lava; it's scales absorb energy to deal with the lava damage, inferring that fire is energy damage... that and the real world fact that fire is the sudden release of energy...

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Disruptur, Sonic and Flame Weapons Reply with quote

Yasriia wrote:
I have a couple of questions:

1) I have read that disruptor weapons are illegal (even more than blasters) and they are very deadly because they "disrupt" the atomicbonds of the target. But the weapon stats of a disruptor shows only a mere 4d to 6d damage value (comparable to a blaster). So how is the "deadliness" of the disruptor expressed? Do they ignore armor, your strength roll?

2) How do Sonic weapons deal damage? I mean do they ignore armor or vs. energy/physical bonus? Or if you have a sealed helmet like a stormtrooper aren't you affected at all?

3) When you roll your strength against the damage of a flame weapon, you add your energy armor bonus right?

1) Its one of those weird stuff that dont really makes sense. Either keep it as it is (disruptors are mechanically really only sub par blasters). However, I went with the 'no armour' idea to at least give you a reason to use them.

2) I assume theres some kind of 'hearing' damage even though its specifically stated. The reason for this is the Sonic Dampening Helmet (Arms and Equipment Damage) that gives you a +3D resistance to sonic weapons. This helmet also makes it hard to hear other noices though.

3) Logically Id say physical, however I usually use Energy to keep them efficient. To be fair, the idea of physical rating was invented to make those 6-7D vibroweapons less effective compared to blasters IMO.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly echoing what others have said, so I'll keep it short.

1) Disrupters: The description is fluff.
One way to let the player experience some of the pain of the weapon would be to make the damage harder to heal up from. Perhaps a -5-10 to any first aid rolls or medical treatments and/or doubling time for healing.

2) It’s the vibration, not the sound per se that does damage. But there needs to be a medium to transmit the sonic waves. A vacuum should work well in damping sonic weapons.

3) I would treat fire as physical damage.
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Okay its all about fluffy weapons and pain. Got it.

2) Okay, got the principle of the weapon. But is the damage against physical or energy armor? But maybe the armor is just another medium for the sonicwaves...

3) Okay I'll treat fire as energy damage, since there is some heat involved.

Thanks for your opinions.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasriia wrote:

2) Okay, got the principle of the weapon. But is the damage against physical or energy armor? But maybe the armor is just another medium for the sonicwaves...

Its 'hearing damage' or at least someting with the head..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when i run flash bang grenades, i have them go against perception vice str..
Standard FB has to be soaked against a diff per roll.
Per of 13-16 - minus 2 pips from all skills for 1d rounds
9-12 per - minus 1d for 2d rounds
6-9 per - minus 1d+1 for 3d rounds, and you can only react, no acting
5 or less minus 2d, and you are effectively incapacitated...
High yield FBs go up to base 24 to soak against..... and down 3 on the chart per -1pip...

You could run sonic weapons in the same maner.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Yasriia wrote:

No, perceiving has nothing to do with it... sonic weapons damage things whether they have ears, heads, are alive or are dead.

Sonic weapons operate on the basis behind sound, pressure waves, not sound, which is the perception of pressure waves into a sensory context. The sonics literally shake the target and resonate within its matter, damaging it by smashing it together and causing rapid expansion and contraction.
In sci-fi most sonic weapons are either really high or really low frequency resonators;
- low frequency (bass, sub-bass), high amplitude (volume) attacks litterally shake things apart, causing the materials to visibly vibrate large distances, causing them to break apart.
- high frequency (treble, ultrasonics) weapons don't need to be "loud" but rather vibrate the target over very short distances, but very fast, causing material fatigue, thus damage.

It doesn't matter whether the sonic weapon targets the head or a spleen, it's causing damage... How would a helmet with sound dampening protect your core organs?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of high pitched stuff that blows ear drums?? are those str resisted or Per resisted?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still be strength because you're still resisting damage it's just like saying if someone successfully makes a called shot to the eyes the target now has to resist damage with perception.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Yasriia wrote:

No, perceiving has nothing to do with it... sonic weapons damage things whether they have ears, heads, are alive or are dead.

Sonic weapons operate on the basis behind sound, pressure waves, not sound, which is the perception of pressure waves into a sensory context. The sonics literally shake the target and resonate within its matter, damaging it by smashing it together and causing rapid expansion and contraction.
In sci-fi most sonic weapons are either really high or really low frequency resonators;
- low frequency (bass, sub-bass), high amplitude (volume) attacks litterally shake things apart, causing the materials to visibly vibrate large distances, causing them to break apart.
- high frequency (treble, ultrasonics) weapons don't need to be "loud" but rather vibrate the target over very short distances, but very fast, causing material fatigue, thus damage.

It doesn't matter whether the sonic weapon targets the head or a spleen, it's causing damage... How would a helmet with sound dampening protect your core organs?

Why then does a helmet covering the ears protect specifically against sonic weapons?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Dampening_Helmet

Sonic Dampening Helmet
Model: Pacnorval Sonic Dampening Helmet
Type: Sonic dampening helmet
Scale: Character
Cost: 600
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Provides
+3D to resist sonic
attacks.
Source: Arms and
Equipment Guide
(page 45)

I wont hotlink to the pic, so heres the link instead..
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Ground/Sonic.jpg
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume that the helmet actually produces a dampening field that envelops the player disrupting the sound waves before they hit.

Either that or that it's only designed to prevent sonic stunners which tend to effect equilibrium.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I'd assume that the helmet actually produces a dampening field that envelops the player disrupting the sound waves before they hit.

Either that or that it's only designed to prevent sonic stunners which tend to effect equilibrium.

One can assume that, and play it that way, but it doesnt say that. Also, the design of the helmet and the hearing penalty suggests otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: