The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The turn sequence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The turn sequence
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClockworkCorsair
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: The turn sequence Reply with quote

Okay so i know how its supposed to go according to the rules but how do you guys run your turn sequence?

Do you ever encounter any issues with the standard system that you want to mention?

One issue I'm confused on is defensive actions. Lets say my character decides he wants to dodge blaster shots, but one of the bad guys runs up and takes a swing at him. Can he not use his brawling parry instead? Or if he's already using his brawling parry and a bad guy takes a shot at him?

Forgive me but its hard to break years of d20 style gaming and I'm needing some help as if I can't get figure it out my players never will.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe solution is what is known as "reaction" skills.

In 1st Edition and 2nd Edition R&E a character can opt roll a defensive action as a "reaction" to an attack, either using it in place of one of his other actions, or adding an additional action to the mix (along with a multi action penalty).

So using your example, the character could do a "reaction brawling parry" to try and defend against the attack.

Personally, I allow characters to use "reactions" for more than just defenses. For example, allowing a character to jump behind cover when a grenade has been thrown, or to grab onto a ledge if falling. To the d20 mindset, think "saving throw".
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give you an example with 4 pcs, and 7 stormtroopers with one captain against them.

Round 1 (surprise!) the imperials ambush our trusted heroes. Their preparations gave them a sneak (what you use for the ambush) of 13, 15, 15, 19, 22, 17(1), 26 and the captain on a 23.
Our heroes roll a 4(1), 8, 11 and 13 for their perceptions to notice the attack so the imperials get to make one action without the PC's resisting our countering then and then. 6 combine on the wookie in the party droping him handly. The 7th trooper aims a shot at the one PC with a grenade launcher while the captain just commanded.

Round 2. Pc's win. Player 1 is down (the wookie), player 2 (missle guy) decides to take 2 actions, player 3 (lets say a smuggler) decides to spend a force point and take 5 actions, Player 4 decides to only do 2 (he's our jedi so he wants to activate his lightsaber combat).
The Enemies all will be taking 2 actions.
PC 2 takes his first action, which is going to be drawing his missle launcher.
PC 3 also takes his first which is to draw his blaster pistol. He also moves just under half his movement rate (considered a free action).
PC 4 just stands there activating the control part of his Lightsaber combat.

The enemy shoot, but all miss. (1st of their actions).
The party take their second actions which is to shoot. IF the stormtroopers wish, they can do one of 3 things..
1) Take the shot, trusting in their armor.
2) USE their second declared action to dodge
3) Take a further action to do a reactionary dodge.
Lets say all but the captain and ST7 do option 2. Those 2 use option 3.
Captain has 7d blaster, 6d+2 dodge. He is taking 2 actions, so his blaster drops to 6d while dodge goes to 5d+2. Since he is taking ANOTHER action as a reaction it now becomes 4d+2 while his shot (if he is not dropped) becomes 5d..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help clarify Gharkals post- most of us use a method where the players declare a number of actions- but they need not specify what the actions are until their "turn" comes.

So if a player takes 3 actions for a character but goes last he could dodge with his first action. (everyone declares then goes.)

Did I help or create confusion?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
(everyone declares then goes.)

Did I help or create confusion?

To help clarify jmanski's post, each player declares the number of actions they are taking for the round for the purpose of MAP (multiple actions penalty) assignment and then also declares and rolls his first action when it comes to his turn. Actions happen as they are rolled. If someone says they are attacking (shooting, etc.) someone else, then that someone else can immediately react (dodge, etc.), no matter if they have already declared # of actions and rolled a first action or not. If someone does react (dodge) before his turn to declare # of actions/roll action, then that MAP penalty will still effect the remainder of their actions when it gets to that player's turns in the round. See R&E p. 78.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: