The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Speed as a viable defence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Speed as a viable defence
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Speed as a viable defence Reply with quote

I've been unable to come to a decision with the following scenario and want to see what others think.

Minion A is armed with a holstered blaster pistol with a maximum range of 50 units

Player B is 30 units away from Minion A facing the opposite direction. Player B is sitting on an idling speeder with a base speed of 15 units.

Player B wins initiative so Minion A declares he will shoot Player B with his pistol (taking an action to draw it first).

Player B declares he will move at twice the speeders base rate as his action. At the conclusion of his action this will mean he will be 60 units away from Minion A

My dilema is if all of Player B's first action completes before Minion A is able to draw his weapon then Player B is out of range by the time Minion A fires.
How is movement within a round worked out in regard to ranges?

What if Minion A already had his blaster drawn? Player B is still acting first so should he be taken out of range before the trigger is pulled?
If Player B had been riding a speeder with a potential speed of greater than 50 units per round (for instance it's speed is 35 units and he is riding at double speed or 'running' with the speeder) does that mean he is traveling faster than the blaster bolt (or a different projectile if you prefer)? I'd be forced to assume a blaster bolt travels it's entire range in a single round but it's probably faster than that (although perhaps not as they're quite visible in the films).

Now what if Player B is a Jedi using burst of speed or just an alien with an unusually high movement rate, how does that change things?

Also what modifiers would you apply to someone who is attempting to target someone moving at all out speed, they cannot be dodging as moving at all out speed is the only action you can take in a round so in theory it's just the range difficulty that applies but they may well be moving very fast indeed and that should probably make a difference.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own game I ruled that movement takes place effectively immediately or it became impossible to administer the round fairly and consistently. In your case, if the weapon's range were such that the defender were clearly outside it after his move I would rule that the attack automatically missed. Super-human or vehicle based movement really is a clincher in combat in my games but there are ways for an adversary to make sure that they can't be successfully applied.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some good news for A. According to the rules a vehicle cannot increase it's speed by more that 1 "step" per turn. So B, on the idling speeder cannot do a all out move (or even a double move) right away, but must accelerate to a normal move before going to a double move. So B would only move 15m before A could get a chance to fire.

Now if B were already moving at normal speed, he could acclerate to a double move, and move 30m before A could get a shot off, and possibly be out of range.

For B to be able to do an "all-out" move he would need to already be doing a double move. But if he were already do so, he could indeed zip past A and go 60m before A can clear his gun from the holster and fire.

But...

If the GM allows for Fast Draws, A could try to Fast Draw and fire before NB can move. This requires that A divides up his skill dice into speed and accuracy. A rolls his speed dice and if the roll is higher than B's piloting roll, he gets to shoot before B can throttle up and move. A would only roll the accuracy dice to hit, though.

Also, in First Edition drawing a weapon just applied a -1D multi-action penalty but was considered to take no time. Under those conditions A could draw and shoot as one action, but with a -1D penalty.

Now as far as A Jedi or alien goes, the only real difference is that living creatures can accelerate two steps at a time, so they can go from dead stop to a double move. Ot would still take two round to get up to an "all-out" move. But, if they had a high enough move rate they could indeed run off before being shot at.

Regarding hitting a moving target, I would probably set the difficulty at the upper end of the scale. So if the shot were at long range I'd set it more toward the 18-20 end than the 16 end. If I though the speed was really a factor I might even raise the difficulty a bit more, depending on just how fast the vehicle was going.

Move 15 is only around 43kph/27mph so I wouldn't give that much of a bonus. On the other hand, a Ikas-Adno Nightfalcon moving "all-out" is going Move 720 or 460kph. That's fast enough to move up to, fly past, and out of blaster fire in one round. That is probably worth a bonus.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
In my own game I ruled that movement takes place effectively immediately or it became impossible to administer the round fairly and consistently.

Great if that works for your game, but in my mind that's not too realistic. If each move a vehicle (or character) has takes place in the space of time of one action in a round that may have many actions, then that means the move happened in a much shorter amount of time than a round, and that would mean that vehicle's particular move should have a much higher speed but doesn't. That would also mean that the vehicle is technically starting, bursting forth quickly, then stopping for other actions to occur.

I'm more of the inclination that the move takes place over the whole round, so you really wouldn't reach the end of your move until the end of the round. I feel this way because the rules determine that there are max speeds and acceleration rates for the each move action, and that's a max over the course of a time period (a round, which generally has a max time of 5 seconds).

I think it is possible for more mathematical GMs to administer this failry and consistantly, but it admittedly does require a little more work to determine where a moving target is at the point the shot comes through.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I think it is possible for more mathematical GMs....

Being the guy who just went to base 10 logs and absolute magnitude to get a sensor bonus for stellar objects I'll assume I'm guilty of being one of the more mathematical GMs. So...

Option 1) Just segment the movement 1 move at a time. So something going "all-out" (4 moves) would move 4 times during the round, once each during the character's turn.

That will give you supplemented movement with just a little more complexity, but probably good enough for most game purposes.

Option 2) Divide everyone's move rate by 5 or so and just have everybody move that much in each action, until all the movement is taken.

It's a little more accurate, but frankly I think option 1 does it just about as well, and is a lot easier.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take movement as an action within the round sequence... let's say A won initiative. A plans to draw their blaster and fire on B. B wants to get out of Dodge before they get shot, moving double speed.

A draws
B moves 1 move
A shoots
B moves their second (granted they're not dead)

If the initial move takes the character out of range, the shot doesn't manage.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm It's good to know the vehicles cannot accelerate more than one step at a time, it keeps things simpler.

I had considered making movements happen in stages as both Ank and Atg describe however what if Player B chooses to make two actions?

Assume Player B is on foot and is an exceptionally fleet species, it's weapon is also already drawn. (A possible scenario has Player A running from guards only to round a corner and see another guard further down the corridor it's just turned into)

Minion A looses initiative as he is an NPC with a terrible perception score, he declares two actions draw weapon and shoot Player B.
Player B declares also declares two actions move twice and shoot at Minion A.

By the numbers Player B should be able to get some sort of over the shoulder shot off at Minion A while getting out of range, furthermore it's shot should happen before Minion A gets to shoot. If movement happens in stages then Player B is hampered by a 'ghost action' that causes his second action within the round to actually happen at the third action stage. This is may be realistic but perhaps Player B's shot should happen at the second action stage (and the range of half it's entire turn's movement) and represents Player A shooting while running. This also makes sense to me but it can get complex with multiple entities moving and performing actions.

What do people think?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been unable to come to a decision with the following scenario and want to see what others think.

Minion A is armed with a holstered blaster pistol with a maximum range of 50 units

Player B is 30 units away from Minion A facing the opposite direction. Player B is sitting on an idling speeder with a base speed of 15 units.

Player B wins initiative so Minion A declares he will shoot Player B with his pistol (taking an action to draw it first).

Player B declares he will move at twice the speeders base rate as his action. At the conclusion of his action this will mean he will be 60 units away from Minion A

Since a player can only MOVE once when on a vehicle, and he can only shift speed one catageory (full stop, cautious, cruise, full, flank) he would still be in range at the end of his move action.

Code:
Move Speeds
While a vehicle can only move once per round, the
driver can pick one of four speeds.

Acceleration and Deceleration. Vehicles may increase
or decrease their movement one level per
round.
Example: Rhen is piloting her landspeeder at
cruisingspeed in one round. The next round, she
may maintain cruising speed, decrease to cautious
speed or increase to high speed; she may
not increase her speeder to all-out speed.

That is from the R&E book in the vehicle movement section.

Quote:
If Player B had been riding a speeder with a potential speed of greater than 50 units per round (for instance it's speed is 35 units and he is riding at double speed or 'running' with the speeder) does that mean he is traveling faster than the blaster bolt (or a different projectile if you prefer)? I'd be forced to assume a blaster bolt travels it's entire range in a single round but it's probably faster than that (although perhaps not as they're quite visible in the films).

Unless his vehicle had a cruise speed of 40 or more, he could not gust it above 20 for his first round of moving from a dead stop (since he is resting on it), therefore it would only matter if he had a fast bike.

Quote:
Now what if Player B is a Jedi using burst of speed or just an alien with an unusually high movement rate, how does that change things?

Well the alien would have the limitation he can only go from a dead standstill to cruise speed (movement as a person can shift up or down 2 speed 'catageories'). So again he would need to have a high move, 26 in this case, to get out of range. WHY 26? Cause you can move at half speed as a free action while shooting.

As for burst of speed, unless that jedi had it up prior, he would have to use his first action to kick it in, so unless the minion has to draw (or use his first action for something OTHER than shooting), he is still going to be in range when the minion shoots.

Quote:
Assume Player B is on foot and is an exceptionally fleet species, it's weapon is also already drawn. (A possible scenario has Player A running from guards only to round a corner and see another guard further down the corridor it's just turned into)

Minion A looses initiative as he is an NPC with a terrible perception score, he declares two actions draw weapon and shoot Player B.
Player B declares also declares two actions move twice and shoot at Minion A.

By the numbers Player B should be able to get some sort of over the shoulder shot off at Minion A while getting out of range, furthermore it's shot should happen before Minion A gets to shoot. If movement happens in stages then Player B is hampered by a 'ghost action' that causes his second action within the round to actually happen at the third action stage. This is may be realistic but perhaps Player B's shot should happen at the second action stage (and the range of half it's entire turn's movement) and represents Player A shooting while running. This also makes sense to me but it can get complex with multiple entities moving and performing actions.

Well since you only declare one move action, player B's action of moving twice would be 1 action at full speed (double cruise). So it would depend on whether he had his first or second action as his move..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I take movement as an action within the round sequence... let's say A won initiative. A plans to draw their blaster and fire on B. B wants to get out of Dodge before they get shot, moving double speed.

A draws
B moves 1 move
A shoots
B moves their second (granted they're not dead)

If the initial move takes the character out of range, the shot doesn't manage.

I do the same. Move actions is the best way of handling move timing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: