The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Absorb/Dissipate vs. Light Sabers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Absorb/Dissipate vs. Light Sabers?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werelyn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Absorb/Dissipate vs. Light Sabers? Reply with quote

I run a 2ed RE Star Wars game and one of my players is adamant that absorb/dissipate can be used to resist light saber damage.

The book does not explicitly allow or disallow this, so I'm looking for some feedback.

I'm inclined to say no because there are already many ways that a Jedi can resist damage from a light saber. However, I want my game to be internally consistent, and since a light saber is technically an energy weapon, the power should be applicable.

Thoughts?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... absorb/dissipate energy doesn't really help you resist the damage as such. It's one of those things that's an all or nothing deal. If you manage to absorb the energy, then you manage to absorb it all. If you fail your roll, then you just attempted to catch a lightsaber in your hand, and lost it and everything else in the lightsaber's path. I say let him try with a GM warning that this is not a good idea. If he fumbles his roll, and the character dies, then what can you say? You warned him.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the Star Wars books (sadly I forget which one) there is an example of this power being used in this way Corran Horn's ancestor used this power (or one very much like it) to drain all the energy from a lightsaber effectively disarming an opponant.

It didn't prevent enough damage to stop him dying however.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thing i can see here, is would it also absorb the additional damage from the control addition if they have LS combat up, OR just the base damage of the lightsaber.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage is damage. If control is added to your damage roll, then you might be trying to absorb 8D, 9D, or 12D of damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt the base difficulty Moderate, lets say an average 13. On top of that is the damage roll, lets say an even 35 for 10D damage. Just roll 48+ on your C/D Energy test and youll be fine...
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope someone has banked a lot of Force points.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way too much morphy can happen on that one

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a master doing it against an apprentice for training. You've got someone with something like 13D control rolling vs someone with 2-3D, shouldn't be that bad.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's pray the master doesn't roll a 6 on the Wild Die, while the apprentice rolls a 1.

"Crap. I loose more apprentices that way. Okay, next in line!"
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the master soaking, besides, you can also drop damage with lightsaber combat, so a master can drop the damage to 1D, either way it works.
werelyn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights guys. I think I'm going to allow it, just to see what happens if or when it doesn't work...
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a character do this in one my stories. It came out of the blue. He was facing off against the big bad of the game and he suddenly just said he was going to try to absorb the blade. It worked... amazingly (the difficulty was astronomical, although he was spending a Force Point).

The rather goofy expression on my own face was taken by all to be the Grand Inquisitor's expression when her blade went off. There was much amusement. I ruled that it had absorbed only the energy in the blade at the time and shorted the weapon*. She could just turn it back on again with her action but it gave the player the vital moments he needed and turned the tide of battle. It was very cool and the player in question still boasts about the time he successfully absorbed all the energy from the Grand Inquisitor's lightsaber.

*I would say that you would need something a little more powerful to actually drain the power cells on the lightsaber though. Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it attempted in another game i was a stick jocky for the group (L-19 freighter), but the guy bombed the roll and got sliced in half.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coll thing about this is that abuse seems unlikely, considering what happens when the character fails.

I rather try to disarm the opponent with Telekensis. If I;m going to play a longshot, thn I might as well play one that will protect me from be sliced in future rounds. Besides, then I can use the lightsaber to defend myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: