The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starships of the Galaxy (WotC D20 / 2007)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starships of the Galaxy (WotC D20 / 2007)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Starships of the Galaxy (WotC D20 / 2007) Reply with quote

So, is this book's fluff and pictures make it worth the purchace if I can find it for a decent price? Or how about full retail price?

I have a handful of the d20 books to aid in my D6 games. I was considering this one but it is already out of print and very expensive on Amazon.com and such.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked at it myself, but in general, for RPG books, eBay is your friend.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't count this one among those "useful-if-d20" books.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really seen anything in the book that's useful for anything except conversion and if you happen to be in/running a Saga Campaign. I picked up a copy for both purposes.

However, if you never plan on picking up a d20 game, then don't bother.

I would, however, get the jump on the KotOR book. It's already getting hard to locate. If you can't find a copy somewhere soon, give me a shout and we can work something out.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, guys.

cheshire wrote:
I haven't really seen anything in the book that's useful for anything except conversion and if you happen to be in/running a Saga Campaign. I picked up a copy for both purposes.

However, if you never plan on picking up a d20 game, then don't bother.

I would, however, get the jump on the KotOR book. It's already getting hard to locate. If you can't find a copy somewhere soon, give me a shout and we can work something out.

Do you have multiple copies, or don't want to keep yours now that you've converted all the stats?

I have Saga but I don't plan on playing Star Wars d20, ever. If I don't want to do my own d20-to-D6 stat conversions, they are plentiful here (thanks to you guys). I only get d20 books for the fluff and pictures to aid with my Star Wars D6 games.

I used to have the first WotC core rulebook, but I scanned a few pages and then got rid of it. FYI, this is what d20 books I have (so far):

d20 1E
Rebellion Era Sourcebook
Secrets of Tatooine
Secrets of Naboo
Alien Anthology

d20 Revised Edition
Ultimate Alien Anthology
Ultimate Adversaries
Galactic Campaign Guide
Coruscant and the Core Worlds
Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
Hero's Guide
Revised Core Rulebook

d20 Saga Edition
Saga Core Rulebook
Threats of the Galaxy
Scum and Villainy
Clone Wars Campaign Guide (on the way from Amazon)
Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
Rebellion Era Campaign Guide (on the way from Amazon)

All my games take place between TPM and a few years after RotJ.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

d20 1E
Rebellion Era Sourcebook
Secrets of Tatooine
Secrets of Naboo
Alien Anthology

d20 Revised Edition
Ultimate Alien Anthology
Ultimate Adversaries
Galactic Campaign Guide
Hero's Guide
Revised Core Rulebook

d20 Saga Edition
Saga Core Rulebook
Threats of the Galaxy
Scum and Villainy

How are the planet books as sources? Particularly those that didn't exist when WEG was publishing? Wasn't there some kind of Theed box set for d20? Was that a useful source or just another battlemat?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
o you have multiple copies, or don't want to keep yours now that you've converted all the stats?

I have Saga but I don't plan on playing Star Wars d20, ever. If I don't want to do my own d20-to-D6 stat conversions, they are plentiful here (thanks to you guys). I only get d20 books for the fluff and pictures to aid with my Star Wars D6 games.

I'm currently playing in a Saga game, and I'm planning on using it (particularly if I wind up GMing sometime during the campaign).

But I'll let you know if I get particularly sick of it.

Alternatively, I think my FLGS still has a couple of copies. If you're interested, I'm sure we could work something out.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chesh. I'll let you know if I become interested in that. I may be able to find one around here to look at and buy.

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:

d20 1E
Rebellion Era Sourcebook
Secrets of Tatooine
Secrets of Naboo
Alien Anthology

d20 Revised Edition
Ultimate Alien Anthology
Ultimate Adversaries
Galactic Campaign Guide
Hero's Guide
Revised Core Rulebook

d20 Saga Edition
Saga Core Rulebook
Threats of the Galaxy
Scum and Villainy

How are the planet books as sources?

Secrets of Tatooine and Secrets of Naboo are pretty cool. The Tatooine book could be thought of a "zooming out" from the view of WEG's Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley. The Galaxy Guide "zoomed in" on Mos Eisley during the time of the classic trilogy, but Secrets of Tatooine looks at the whole planet and also includes planetary info on it's entire history and the first 4 films released, including the detailing of Mos Espa as seen in TPM.

The Core Worlds and Outer Rim Worlds hardbacks are a wealth of info on many planets up to and including ones seen in AotC.

Barrataria wrote:
Particularly those that didn't exist when WEG was publishing?

There weren't any WotC Star Wars books ever published while WEG was still publishing. It the bankruptcy of WEG's parent company (at he time) that terminated the license with Lucasfilm, and allowed for a new license to be granted to WotC instead. WEG last published Star Wars in 1998 while WotC began in 2000 - there was no overlap.

Barrataria wrote:
Wasn't there some kind of Theed box set for d20? Was that a useful source or just another battlemat?

I think there was a boxed game that took place in the Naboo city of Theed, but I have never owned it. I'm not sure, but I think it was not part of the main game line, instead using some simplified basic resolution rules, perhaps meant to introduce people to WotC Star Wars roleplaying? Maybe it was more of a self-contained minatures game? It probably did have a map of sorts.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Barrataria wrote:
Particularly those that didn't exist when WEG was publishing?

There weren't any WotC Star Wars books ever published while WEG was still publishing. It the bankruptcy of WEG's parent company (at he time) that terminated the license with Lucasfilm, and allowed for a new license to be granted to WotC instead. WEG last published Star Wars in 1998 while WotC began in 2000 - there was no overlap.

I suppose I should have known that, but I never bothered with any d20 at all other than the stats that made it into Gry Sarth's files.

Thanks for your other advice. It seems like that Theed game was EVERYWHERE for years, so I'd imagine it will turn up at goodwill or something one of these days...
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:

I suppose I should have known that, but I never bothered with any d20 at all other than the stats that made it into Gry Sarth's files.

Occasionally there are a couple of d20 books that are pretty good. I'd reccomend the KotOR Campaign Guide to anyone that thinks that they might run a campaign in that era. Also, the fluff in Scum and Villainy is pretty darn good. They've got adventure seeds and extended adventure outlines that I thought were worth picking up.

Quote:

Thanks for your other advice. It seems like that Theed game was EVERYWHERE for years, so I'd imagine it will turn up at goodwill or something one of these days...

I've seen the Theed game, but I haven't gone through it in great detail. I know that it contained a slimmed down rule set for the RPG. It was supposed to be a sort of "gateway drug" for the RPG. I would doubt that it had a whole lot of useful RPG fluff.
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

I've seen the Theed game... it was supposed to be a sort of "gateway drug" for the RPG

Just try it....we'll just roll up one little character, where's the harm in that? Laughing
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: