The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversions - The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversions - The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amra wrote:
I just had a wacky idea. I like the idea of converting Force Points into Unleashed Points, though, building up 10 FPs could take a while. So what if when you use an Unleashed Point, you double your rolling dice as you would a FP but then all of your dice effectively become wild dice and you reroll ALL 6s, as you would the wild die. The only complication concern would be a 1 on the normal wild die.

I guess you could do that, if you really wanted to, but I think that could be really broken. I mean, you could still fail that roll, but that makes it real easy. I think lowering the difficulty for nearly impossible things and just leaving it at that is probably the more balanced way to go.

ifurin wrote:
i haven't played the game yet (i would like to though) but from what i've read and heard the force is designed to be amped up to levels beyond normal. hence the "force unleashed" title. it's not supposed to fit into a normal star wars setting. if you want to play force unleashed style why cant you just triple the effects of the powers?

Its a great game, its just a little short. It would probably take most people about 7 hours to beat it. If you really want a challenge, the game system rewards you for being stealthy and using some strategy, but if that's really not your thing, you can can get by just fine with some button mashing. Since the events of the story basically help bridge the gaps between Episode III and IV the developers made it easy enough that anybody could just pick the game and start playing.

Doomhead wrote:
The Force Unleashed doesn't really fit into the CANON Star Wars universe, at least in my opinion. I know its cannon, but come on so is the Christmas Special. The Force Powers are way over the top. Starkiller "at least in the game" appears to be more powerful than anyone else in the star wars universe. Including the Emperor/Darth Vader/Yoda/Mace Windu.... you name it. So the idea of having FU "Force Unleashed" Points seems a mute point. It also reeks of Munchkinism (Spelling?).... Power Gaming to the MAX!!!

You probably didn't even read what I wrote did you? You just saw the first sentence and posted.

Have you played D6 Star Wars for any length of time? Earning 10 force points would take a very long time in most gaming situations. For a non-PBP game it would take a that met weekly to play it could easily take a year or more to earn an that many force points. Most of the Rulebooks state pretty implicitly that Force points should only be earned spending force points to do something heroic. We're talking something along the lines of putting a proton torpedo into a thermal exhaust port only 2 meters wide kind of heroic.

To actually earn that many force points in the span of 3 month's most GMs would have to have situations like that pop up almost every gaming session, often times multiple times per gaming session. Unless the GM decides to just hand out force points like they're made out candy anyways there is no reason why most characters would ever earn that many force points to begin with!

Basically an Unleashed Point is like cashing in 10 force points on one roll, and still have a possibility for failure.

Warning, following contains spoilers, and a rant.

As for force Unleashed not fitting into canon in your opinion. I can probably safely say that you don't think that EU is canon either. The Emperor is way more powerful than Marek, even within the game. The Emperor was just as close to the explosion as Starkiller was, but Palpatine was not even seriously injured by it at all! In WEG he terms he was stunned at most, not even wounded, and old Starkiller there was dead.

Besides, pulling down a star destroyer is small potatoes next to the Emperor Reborn's Force Storm that took out a fleet, or making a star go Supernova. Unless your idea of Star Wars canon is the movies and nothing else, the way the force is used here really shouldn't mess with you that much.
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess you could do that, if you really wanted to, but I think that could be really broken. I mean, you could still fail that roll, but that makes it real easy. I think lowering the difficulty for nearly impossible things and just leaving it at that is probably the more balanced way to go.

Could break it, yeah. But a player would essentially be sacrificing 10 Force Points all at once just to influence one roll and getting only a marginal benefit from doing so in the form of rerolling any and all 6s, of which there may be none of, so it could be for naught. And there could also be a 1&6 failure with the wild die. It might succeed but there could be some unintended consequences. I like the uncertainty of it. I might try this once and see how it goes for something really dramatic. Wouldn't work in the case of pulling down an ISD because you'd need to sustain those high number of rolls over at least a few minutes of game time, like 24-48 consecutive rounds.

Perhaps the Unleashed Points could serve instead as a Force Points used over scenes instead of rounds? So you would use an Unleashed Point to accomplish a Heroic task over several minutes, sacrificing 10 FPs for just one roll to determine the success of the attempt. Maybe even throw in the caveat of Unleashed Points being used ONLY for prolonged actions instead of one single action in a single round? Dunno...

I appreciate your feedback.
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Force Unleashed doesn't really fit into the CANON Star Wars universe, at least in my opinion. I know its cannon, but come on so is the Christmas Special. The Force Powers are way over the top. Starkiller "at least in the game" appears to be more powerful than anyone else in the star wars universe. Including the Emperor/Darth Vader/Yoda/Mace Windu.... you name it.

A valid concern, yet, many of us felt the same way about the crazy Force action in the Prequel Trilogy. Modern cinema tech allowed the Jedi to do things they could never have pulled off in the OT. Modern gaming tech now allows them to do even more.

Here is how I justify it and you're welcome to reject it. Think of Jedi/Sith as conduits of the Force. Lots of Jedi and Sith yields thousands+ conduits of the Force. So you have diffused users channeling smaller amounts of Force potential. After the Jedi Purge, the number of Force conduits was fractional. Palpatine, Vader, the Emp's Hands, etc, a few Jedi in hiding and the younger generation of Force potentials. So you have fewers channels of the Force flowing in greater torrents.

So in the case of TFU era, Jedi and Sith are capable of stronger feats of Force potential because fewer people have access to the Force surplus.

Bear in mind, I've read of nothing in or out of SW canon to justify this position, it merely helps me sleep soundly at night after cutting an AT-ST in half with a lightsaber.

Off Subject: I watched ESB earlier tonight and this recent discussion of pulling the ISD down with the Force made me suddenly wonder if Yoda used the Force to cause Luke to crash on Degobah to prevent him from leaving (backfired).
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think haggling over how to do the Unleashed part of Force Unleashed is nickle and dime stuff compared to the wealth of useful information contained in the Campaign Guide. We really should be focusing our attention on how to do the Force Powers, Droids, equipment, and ships in the book first. Like all WotC stuff, some things (like some Force Powers, talents, and the like) won't convert over.

Let's focus on the stuff we can get done, and then once we've got all of that, then we can worry about rule modifications IF we decide that a Force Unleashed mechanic is balanced and necessary.

Just my two cents.

P.S.I'll be back on the conversion track probably in the next week and a half.
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd say that I do not see haggling so much as I see veteran D6ers bouncing ideas off of each other to adapt new mechanics into the old system. I'd rather collaborate in this manner with other players than simply be spoon fed cookbook conversions.

Second, I have TFU sourcebook and the Unleashed aspect of the game (other than ship/character stats) are about the only thing I have any interest in incorporating. Judging from the robust dialogue over the last few days, I'd wager that I'm not the only one interested in doing so.

So while I'm curious to see what other sort of mechanics you and others have mined out of TFU, particularly since I find most of it unusable, some of us are having a fairly interesting conversation about Unleashing.

Necessary isn't really the focus. Fun is.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche'.

Smile
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on a post for this earlier on my other computer... but it seems I didn't post it before I had to plug it back in and leave it alone. I'll post it later on.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You probably didn't even read what I wrote did you? You just saw the first sentence and posted.

1st of all: This is an assumption on your part and yes I did read what you wrote, I just didn't agree with it. Hence the my opinion part.

Have you played D6 Star Wars for any length of time?

2nd point: Yes I've been playing Star Wars D6 since 1st edition rules way back in 1987.

Earning 10 force points would take a very long time in most gaming situations. For a non-PBP game it would take a that met weekly to play it could easily take a year or more to earn an that many force points. Most of the Rulebooks state pretty implicitly that Force points should only be earned spending force points to do something heroic. We're talking something along the lines of putting a proton torpedo into a thermal exhaust port only 2 meters wide kind of heroic.

To actually earn that many force points in the span of 3 month's most GMs would have to have situations like that pop up almost every gaming session, often times multiple times per gaming session. Unless the GM decides to just hand out force points like they're made out candy anyways there is no reason why most characters would ever earn that many force points to begin with!

Basically an Unleashed Point is like cashing in 10 force points on one roll, and still have a possibility for failure.

3rd: Why complicate the Force by adding another category i.e. Force Unleashed Points. When regular force points would work, at least in my opinion.

As for force Unleashed not fitting into canon in your opinion. I can probably safely say that you don't think that EU is canon either.

4th: Another assumption on your part. I just don't like aspects of Star Wars that I find dumb or that blatantly go against what I view as canon. Yet again this my opinion and anyone is welcome to disagree with me.

The Emperor is way more powerful than Marek, even within the game. The Emperor was just as close to the explosion as Starkiller was, but Palpatine was not even seriously injured by it at all! In WEG he terms he was stunned at most, not even wounded, and old Starkiller there was dead.

Besides, pulling down a star destroyer is small potatoes next to the Emperor Reborn's Force Storm that took out a fleet, or making a star go Supernova. Unless your idea of Star Wars canon is the movies and nothing else, the way the force is used here really shouldn't mess with you that much.

Of course you are allowed your opinion and I'm allowed mine, I just don't appreciate the assumptions on what I believe and how I view Star Wars and Star Wars the RPG.

I also whole heartily agree with Cheshire:

Quote:
We really should be focusing our attention on how to do the Force Powers, Droids, equipment, and ships in the book first. Like all WotC stuff, some things (like some Force Powers, talents, and the like) won't convert over.

Let's focus on the stuff we can get done, and then once we've got all of that, then we can worry about rule modifications IF we decide that a Force Unleashed mechanic is balanced and necessary.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Earlier:
strongarm85 wrote:
Have you played D6 Star Wars for any length of time? Earning 10 force points would take a very long time in most gaming situations. For a non-PBP game it would take a that met weekly to play it could easily take a year or more to earn an that many force points. Most of the Rulebooks state pretty implicitly that Force points should only be earned spending force points to do something heroic. We're talking something along the lines of putting a proton torpedo into a thermal exhaust port only 2 meters wide kind of heroic.

Sounds like you guys hand out FSP like candy compared to my games anyway Razz No one in my gaming groups has eve amassed more than 3 FSP in the past 12 or so years I've been playing d6 Star Wars. For my games the concept of "Unleashed Points" as written so far is a bit of a moot point.
That said, I don't much care for the idea. I mean, that's what Force Points represent anyway; that sudden surge of the Force through an individual allowing the impossible; ie. that action hitting a 2m thermal exhaust port with a proton torpedo. I find the Unleashed Point concept to be both unnecessary and not entirely in the spirit of (d6/classical) Star Wars; layering on another level of rules to ramp up Force powers is not only adding complexity to a game system which derives much of its strength from its utter simplicity, but also undermining the feel of how the game was designed to represent the Force, it's strength and its limitations.

Quote:

As for force Unleashed not fitting into canon in your opinion. I can probably safely say that you don't think that EU is canon either. The Emperor is way more powerful than Marek, even within the game. The Emperor was just as close to the explosion as Starkiller was, but Palpatine was not even seriously injured by it at all! In WEG he terms he was stunned at most, not even wounded, and old Starkiller there was dead.

Part of the problem with comparing just about any other Force user's abilities to the power of the Emperor in his twilight years is that Palpatine was one of the most powerful, creative and knowlegable Force users that ever existed; one who could actively develop new ways of using and accessing the Force. The same cannot be said of one such as Starkiller... or most other Force users (yes I know there are a couple exceptions)

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple d6 way to do things with only a small rule change, just allow a person to spend multiple force points, each one doubles the die pool 1FP = 2x, 2FP = 4x, 3FP = 8x, 4FP=16x, ... , 14FP = 16,384x, 20FP = 1,048,576x

16,384 x 7d = 114688D

400,000 / 3.5 = approx 114,285 D6 to roll on average, so you could TK a Star Destroyer with 7D Alter and 14 FP (pretty close to the 10 being talked about to buy an unleashed point, and you could spend less for smaller scales).

As to rolling that many D, I'd say roll 4x and multiply it out to get your roll.

I would say no more than half of the FP get returned, and only for a truly epic, heroic, dramatically appropriate, at a turning point for the Galaxy. For all others, 2FP returned at the end of the adventure. If a GM wants an unleashed game, he can give out FPs like candy
Amra
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Jedi regularly for 2 years and I think I netted 5 FPs total in that time. In a campaign where the judge has any sensibilities, the 10 FPs for one Unleashed feat would essentially be a once in a character event for something bordering on ridiculous and would take a long time to earn. I also still like the idea of Unleashing working for one high roll over a scene span of time, rather than a single action in a single round.

Most of the times that I used FPs were to compensate for low Dice pools in skills/powers against higher level Dark Jedi, etc, at the right moments. I never really used FPs to pull of any sort of "Unleashed" power.
I once used an FP with a Blaster against a Dark Jedi's lightsaber deflect. I beat his roll with the FP and destroyed the lightsaber. This is, to me, the general type use of a FP.

Ripping an ISD down, or causing it to crash into something, would be prolonged feat over a span of time and this is where I see Unleashed Points coming into play.

I would even say that to balance it out, using an Unleashed Point will reduce whatever primary skill/attribute/force power Die by 1D.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats kinda why I like the multiple FP to use an "unleashed" ability, the GM can control how powerful the game becomes, handing out FPs at the end of each session like CPs (and having the villains get them to use as well) and it lets the characters do some really cool things, but at a high cost. In a normal campaign, I never usually have more than two at a time, getting them back when I spend them, but no extras
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this already covered in the rule book? 2nd Edition pg 59 - Difficulty Guidelines

"Heroic - Something that's almost impossible to do, and calls for extraordinary effort and luck. Very seldom will this kind of success just happen. Example: Shooting a proton torpedo into a small exhaust port without the benefit of a targeting computer."

Even one of my oldest Jedi character only has 7 Force Points. I guess if you are playing a Forced Unleashed type of campaign that you could, as a GM, dole out more Force points.

Although i dislike this approach -

Yet another reason why the "New" Star Wars material is over powered and shinier, brighter, faster etc. Even though most of the stories take place before the original trilogy!!! But I digress, this topic has been hashed out and ranted over before on this Forum.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomhead wrote:
Yet another reason why the "New" Star Wars material is over powered and shinier, brighter, faster etc. Even though most of the stories take place before the original trilogy!!! But I digress, this topic has been hashed out and ranted over before on this Forum.

As a society we've developed ADD... and it's hurting Star Wars Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, brother.

Movies now are either remakes or books. Even writers have ADD
... Oh, look, a chicken!

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: