The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Collection Dilemma!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> My Collection Dilemma!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I buy the remaining four Star Wars D6 products to complete my collection?
Yes, give in to the Dark Side and get them all!
94%
 94%  [ 18 ]
Maybe get one or some of these (specify which and why by posting reply).
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Don't bother getting any of them.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: My Collection Dilemma! Reply with quote

In my mad rush last year to get all the rest of the Star Wars D6 books that I wanted, I compiled a complete list of all Star Wars D6 rule books (all editions), all products produced for 2nd edition, and the few 1st edition books that were not reprinted for 2nd edition in any form (I'll post this master list if anyone wants me to.) On my master list, I also indicated if I had the product listed and updated the list as I got them. I eventually got all the ones I wanted at the time and was satisfied that my collection was now complete.

Looking at the list last night, I realized that all of the products I wanted amounted to the entire list except for only four books, two 1st edition and two 2nd. The books I don't currently have are:

The first edition adventures Otherspace and Otherspace II. I bought these when they first came out in the 80's, but never ran them because I thought they were stupid. I never liked the whole idea of bio-technology (especially in Star Wars), and the artwork is just atrocious, so they were difficult to even look at. I got rid of them about 10 years ago when I was down on my luck and downsized my RPG collection to get a few dollars.

I have never had the other two books, which are The Jedi Academy Trilogy Sourcebook, and The Dark Empire Sourcebook. I didn't care for the Jedi Academy novels, nor did I like the Dark Empire comic. And the artwork in the comic was also absolutely terrible, and I'm sure the sourcebook is loaded with it. And I do consider both the Dark Empire comic and the Jedi Academy novels to only be secondary canon at best in my game world, which means I may use some things from the sourcebooks for my own campaign creations, but the story themselves never happened.

My dilemma is that now that I have realized that I am so close to actually possessing all of the releases (without duplicating any product), I am torn as to whether I should try to get these last 4 things. I looked online for the items and Otherspace is cheap but Otherspace II is not, for a paperback. Dark Empire is cheap and Jedi Academy is ok priced.

Do any of you have any of these products and think they have any merit at all for a GM like me? Even for a bit of inspiration here and there, or anything? I'm looking for justificaton to buy these. The Dark Side in me wants to just have it all!

And yes, I know this is a very nerdy thread, but hey, I'm a nerd. Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for it... Plus I'd like to see what your master list looks like so I can compare it to the one I have. I gave up trying to get all the WEG RPG books and supplements... I just can't afford them with the way the economy is right now. Plus if you want the adventure Journals prepare to spend a pretty penny. I'll still pick up a book here or there if the price is right. I just got the 1st edition of the rebel alliance sourcebook (hardback) for a $1.25.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the Dark Empire and Jedi Academy books, just on the off chance that you might find some of the stuff in it useful at some point. I enjoyed Dark Empire and didn't hate Jedi Academy though (mainly for the way it dovetails with the Tales of the Jedi comics). I generally don't use modules, so Otherspace wouldn't be anything I'd be interested in, unless I was going for completion. As it stands now I have everything I really want, with the exception of one or two books, although I'm focused on 2nd edition stuff, the only 1st ed stuff I own was converted over to 2nd, and I have those versions. At this point, if I see Star Wars books in Half Price Books, I buy them, but only to sell on eBay.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomhead wrote:
if you want the adventure Journals prepare to spend a pretty penny.

The trick is to hunt around, and keep checking eBay. A lot of the time people turn on the Make an Offer option, and due to that I got most of them at reasonable prices (under $20), and there's only 1 or 2 I had to spend more than that to get. I now have a complete set, from when I went on my eBay binge last year.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies so far.

I'm thankful that I actually subscribed to the Adventure Journal from Day 1, so I got all 15 of them in the mail when they were first published. In fact, when West End Games went bankrupt and stopped publication of the Journal (along with everything else), they still owed me money for my incomplete subscription. They sent me a catalogue with a letter explaining that they were not allowed to refund any money, but they could give me credit for the unfullfilled subscription to be used only towards purchasing things from their warehouse. I was so sad that WEG went bankrupt that I never ordered anything, even though I had credit and they were offering a substantial discount off the full prices as well.

Of course all debts are forgiven after 7 years, but I still have the catalogue and letter for some reason.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
mastereji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Go for it Reply with quote

As a longtime GM myself i would definitely go for the whole collection just so you have everything. Its kinda cool to say that you have the complete set. I agree about the otherspace adventures they seemed pretty lame to me but definitely get the jedi academy and dark empire sourcebook. Unfortunately, i no longer have the complete set (at one point in time i did) due to a very upset and psycho ex-girlfriend who threw out my entire role-playing collection from all different game systems (around 2500 or so sourcebooks, adventures, etc) when i had left on a two week vacation. Let me tell ya, it was so pleasant coming home to nothing! Its still quite the bitter pill with me and i've spent the last 4 years trying to recoup my beloved loss.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, dude. That's... harsh. I'm very sorry to hear about that, even though it was years ago and you've recovered some of those books.

I think that no matter how mad my wife gets at me, she knows better than to do that. I would much rather her hurt me somehow (not that she ever has), then do something so drastic as throw out my Star Wars books (I wouldn't be that devastated about the other games). I think I'm gonna have nightmares about that, mastereji! How aweful!

Anyway, I've decided I'm gonna go for it and get them all. When I have them all, then I am going to explain to my wife how important that is to me, tell her your story, and beg her to never, ever even think about doing that!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i'd pick them up. i've used the Jedi Academy Sourcebook in the past. I'ts got some great info on Kessel, The Maw Cluster and Cardia.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, that's right. The one thing I remember from looking at the Jedi Academy book a long time ago was the game mechanics for making a Kessel Run. The campaign I'm developing now will be smugglers, so a trip to Kessel is inevitable.

Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomhead wrote:
I'd go for it... Plus I'd like to see what your master list looks like so I can compare it to the one I have.

I completed my collection: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2342
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarash
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give a little discription of each book for the people that does not have them all Very Happy It would be nice just finding out a little about each one .
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarash wrote:
Could you give a little discription of each book for the people that does not have them all Very Happy It would be nice just finding out a little about each one .

Hey Zarash, you posted in the other thread where I listed them with a little discription of each book, 4 minutes before your post in this thread:
Zarash wrote:
Nice that must have set you back some bucks.

Check out the link above your post in this thread (scroll up) to get back there. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarash
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly what I meant lol but thats ok. I wanted to know a little bit of details about each one not how many pages were per book or if the book had an adventure. Also something along the lines of what would you rate each book out of 5 stars etc. I know I must have come off as an idiot but I guess I should have explained myself better.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I know what you mean now. What you are asking for would be a major undertaking. Plus, I haven't used or even read all of them, so I would know a lot more about some than others. For the ones I haven't even read all the way through, I can say that I've at least looked through them at every single page, mostly paying attention to the pics and text headings, just to get an idea of the content.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarash
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on completing your collection Whill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: